Playoffs! Playoffs?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We have a decent shot to get in, its not a lost cause. We might wind up at 82 points or 96, lets see what happens. We need to play well but it doesn't take a miracle for us to get it. I would say 30-40% chance right now, its not 10% or less.

Reactions: Surfshop and MIG

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As the parade of hope rides into town, the usual suspects mount the thunder clouds kicking their sides hoping for a deluge!
I mean, you can look at the numbers for yourself. It’s not as though pessimistic fans are making them up. Merely pointing them out. But I guess you can bury your head in the sand and call it a hope parade if that’s your prerogative.

Reactions: zz and Summer Rose

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
As the parade of hope rides into town, the usual suspects mount the thunder clouds kicking their sides hoping for a deluge!

I mean, let's be real here. The Coyotes would have to mount a winning streak of a type that they have never been able to mount under Tocchet to make the playoffs at this point. It's not that it's utterly hopeless, it's that based on precedent and level of play, it's extremely unlikely to happen.

Reactions: Fuhrious

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I mean, let's be real here. The Coyotes would have to mount a winning streak of a type that they have never been able to mount under Tocchet to make the playoffs at this point. It's not that it's utterly hopeless, it's that based on precedent and level of play, it's extremely unlikely to happen.
Except they have...when they averaged 1.27 PPG over the first 30 games this season.....that same run to finish the season against an easier schedule and the Coyotes will sit at 92 points, which will hopefully be enough.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Preds with 70 pts (same as Yotes) but 4 fewer games played.

Flames have 2 more pts with 2 fewer games played.

These are your wild card teams.

Don't know how the schedule gets this out of whack, but we're probably doomed.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm all for optimism. Our fate could be sealed in the next 2 weeks.
Our fate is sealed NOW. Looking for a silver lining in all this is Chayka being humbled a bit. This is his coach, his team, no more finger pointing, no more excuses. There has to be a little bit of self doubt entering his mind with some of his moves. Let's see if he can make adjustments to his thinking and decision making. What he does with RT might answer those questions.

Reactions: 0point1 and DOTS13

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Our fate is sealed NOW. Looking for a silver lining in all this is Chayka being humbled a bit. This is his coach, his team, no more finger pointing, no more excuses. There has to be a little bit of self doubt entering his mind with some of his moves. Let's see if he can make adjustments to his thinking and decision making. What he does with RT might answer those questions.

We've pulled off a couple of 4 game win streaks this season. Do that right now and things will look a lot different.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

Yeah, "Lost to Florida 1-2, playoff odds down 17.3 to 29.4%" .

17.3, a horrible swing, 11.1 of them was atributed to the regulation loss, the rest to bad results in the other games.

29.4% is still not zero though. It's still a real possibility.

But win games. Score goals! How typical a struggling goalie finally gets a super game against the Yotes. Mindboggling.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
16 games left:

3 x Canucks
1 x Flames
2 x Jets
2 x Golden Knights
1 x Preds

1 x Sharks
1 x Avs
1 x Sabres
1 x Kings,
1 x Red Wings
1 x Stars
1 x Rangers

Still very much an opportunity to get points against direct playoffs chasers & only two playoffs teams in the rest of the list.

So although the warnings signs are very much there, and the team has shown so little consistency in general, particularly against the allegedly less competitive teams, there is still very much a chance if I want to be optimistic.

The upcoming Western Canada trip is make or break though, this is obvious.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
No it doesn't. It tells you that the fans like watching the Coyotes play one of the best teams in hockey on a Saturday night, and that far less people are interested is watching the mediocre Panthers at 7pm on a Tuesday night.

How many of those fans against Tampa was actually Tampa fans? And a similar question with the Panthers?

When it comes to the Panthers, that's a team I feel really sorry for. Watching games from their barn, I always think "wow. What a barn. What a team. And now, look at that coach! Man. How sad to see the empty seats.!"

Reactions: LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos

Jan 29, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
No it doesn't. It tells you that the fans like watching the Coyotes play one of the best teams in hockey on a Saturday night, and that far less people are interested is watching the mediocre Panthers at 7pm on a Tuesday night.
Um no. Earlier in the year, that Saturday night game vs the bolts would’ve been sold out. Heck, 3 weeks ago it would’ve been sold out. The team sucks, the fans know it. 14K on a Saturday night vs the best team in the league? Pathetic.

Reactions: Luckylarry

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I would worry more about the non-playoff teams (maybe not detroit). This is their cup knocking off playoff contenders and guys wanting to go out with some good vibes. We seem to play better against the good teams.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Still could sneak in, but likely this season’s playoff dream is over. Only 3 games over .500 is getting too far behind.

It's a three way fight now between Minny, Nashville, Calgary. The first two have four games in hand on the Coyotes and two on the Flames.

The Coyotes cannot lose more than 4 games in regulation in the final 16 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad