Playoffs! Playoffs?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
How many points will it take to get into the WC playoffs. Let's assume the current top 3 in each division are in. Comes down to AZ, Calgary, Winnipeg, Nashville and Minnesota for 2 spots:

Point projections based on current PPG:
NSH91.4
CGJ91.1
WPG88.4
AZ 88.3
Min 87.3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Schedule considerations:
Home - Away (Games against current playoff teams - Games against non-playoff teams):
Nashville 10-11 (10-11)
Calgary 10-8 (10-8)
Winnipeg 8-10 (14-4) - ouch
Arizona 10-7 (8-9)
Minnesota 9-12 (7-14)

Coyotes path the 92 points, based on who I believe will be favored in each game:
FLA-W
Buf-W
@ Van-L
@ CGY-L
@ WPG-L
Van-W
NYR-W
DAL-W
VGK-L
DET-W
@ LA-W
@ VGK-L
NSH-W
@ SJ-W only B2B
@ Col-L
Van-W
WPG-W

This is really going to be a dog fight!

Reactions: Mangosteen

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
91 pts will secure 8th seed. Write it down.

26 teams in action tomorrow night. Opportunity to move up or sink.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
It's sports, anything can happen. I think 90 is over/under mark.

Also all of the other teams have more back to backs than us.

A lot of big games against teams in the hunt. 3 against VAN stands out to me. If we find a way to win all of those we'll make it for sure.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I've explained it before, but if they lose those games to Calgary and Winnipeg on the upcoming trip then the math is very ugly and it's basically over.

I think this is pretty much going to sum it up. you need to get three points on those two games.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Only shot if for Kuemper to come back at sub 2 goal per game level he was at before the game Tocc hung him out to dry. That's going to be a lot to ask for after how long he's been out. Raanta's going to have to be just as good and stay healthy for the rest of the season. Another tall order.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Which of the teams in the western playoff race makes you feel confident they will make it? Other than the top 3 central teams and Vegas I can see any team totally blow their chances in their last 20 games. My prediction is 90 points will be enough to claim the last WC spot. I can see us sneaking in.

At the very least it's a lot of fun following playoff chances rather than draft odds.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It really doesn't matter if we beat Calgary or Winnipeg head to head. Points are points, no matter where they come from. The harsh reality is that because we have played more games than every other team we need a higher win/point percentage. Merely matching our opponents pt% for remaining games won't cut it.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Del_

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I will say, though, it is much preferable having people bitch and whine about an underachieving team fading down the stretch, than having many of those same people bitch and whine that the team isn't losing enough for a few extra ping pong ball combos.

And also that all of this is occurring while over in the Business of Hockey board, no one is talking about us at all. No one.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I will say, though, it is much preferable having people bitch and whine about an underachieving team fading down the stretch, than having many of those same people bitch and whine that the team isn't losing enough for a few extra ping pong ball combos.

And also that all of this is occurring while over in the Business of Hockey board, no one is talking about us at all. No one.

I prefer this to me whining about our owner not spending enough to ice a winning team. He's put his money where his mouth is. It might not work out this year, but is a good sign for the future.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

If we slip too far down I’m gonna start bitching about ping pong balls

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Which of the teams in the western playoff race makes you feel confident they will make it? Other than the top 3 central teams and Vegas I can see any team totally blow their chances in their last 20 games. My prediction is 90 points will be enough to claim the last WC spot. I can see us sneaking in.

At the very least it's a lot of fun following playoff chances rather than draft odds.

Yeah, I also want to say I don't agree with the OP when he just waive off the possibility of any of the top three teams bungling it. Win the three games against Vancouver, and the gap to them closes a lot, as an example.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yeah, I also want to say I don't agree with the OP when he just waive off the possibility of any of the top three teams bungling it. Win the three games against Vancouver, and the gap to them closes a lot, as an example.

Those teams have a 4-5 game cushion the Coyotes don't. They've also played markedly better than the Coyotes over the last two months, hence the cushion.

Banking on a team having a colossal meltdown is not a plan.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Those teams have a 4-5 game cushion the Coyotes don't. They've also played markedly better than the Coyotes over the last two months, hence the cushion.

Reversion to the mean. :welcome:

Reactions: cobra427

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

It's three of them. I'm not banking on any of them having a meltdown, but to say one of those three may have it, is a relevant possibility, improving the hope. Vegas don't look like they want to be the one though, and Edmonton surely can't be the one again. So, I'm banking on Vancouver. Wait. ;)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Reversion to the mean. :welcome:

The Coyotes are .538 on the season, 11th worst

Since Dec. 1st, they've played .486 hockey. 37 games. More than the preceding good 28 games.

Their 'mean' would appear to be less than .538. But even if they just played at that rate, they'd still come up short at 88 points.

Some of us were annoyed with the slide for a very good reason; points count the same regardless of the time of year.

Reactions: Fuhrious

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The Coyotes are .538 on the season, 11th worst

Since Dec. 1st, they've played .486 hockey. 37 games. More than the preceding good 28 games.

Their 'mean' would appear to be less than .538. But even if they just played at that rate, they'd still come up short at 88 points.

Some of us were annoyed with the slide for a very good reason; points count the same regardless of the time of year.

Got it. Just pointing out that teams that were hot recently won't necessarily stay hot...and vice versa.

Reactions: cobra427

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Got it. Just pointing out that teams that were hot recently won't necessarily stay hot...and vice versa.

None of it's going to matter if the Coyotes don't play A+ hockey the rest of the way. They basically need .700 to control their own destiny.

Vancouver and Vegas haven't even been really that hot the last two months. Both .619 since Jan 1st vs their .590ish season total.

Edmonton was overly hot but can actually play .500 hockey and comfortably make it thanks to banking those points. With their trades, I expect them to have more juice. The premise that all 3 are not important is pretty sound.

The Coyotes very badly need a winning streak to even the odds.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
As the parade of hope rides into town, the usual suspects mount the thunder clouds kicking their sides hoping for a deluge!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad