Playoffs! Playoffs?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
We've scored slightly more with Hall, but NJ made a bigger jump without him. :huh:

Pre-Hall trade:
Coyotes - 2.63 GF/GP
Devils - 2.38

Post trade:
Coyotes - 2.80
Devils - 2.95

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
We've scored slightly more with Hall, but NJ made a bigger jump without him. :huh:

Pre-Hall trade:
Coyotes - 2.63 GF/GP
Devils - 2.38

Post trade:
Coyotes - 2.80
Devils - 2.95

Just so people also remember... Right before trading Hall the Devil's also fired their coach and brought a new one in.

Perhaps that actually made their team better?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I want the Devils to go all the way under a new playoff format, just for fate to really rub it in for every one involved.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I want the Devils to go all the way under a new playoff format, just for fate to really rub it in for every one involved.
Inconceivable...I have it on good authority, ie. from other F40 posters, that firing your coach will cause you to lose all your remaining games due to the absolute chaos such an upheaval would cause, and would single-handedly send your billionaire owner directly into bankruptcy. Dont come in here trying to sell that snake oil.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Inconceivable...I have it on good authority, ie. from other F40 posters, that firing your coach will cause you to lose all your remaining games due to the absolute chaos such an upheaval would cause, and would single-handedly send your billionaire owner directly into bankruptcy. Dont come in here trying to sell that snake oil.

Has anyone actually made the case for keeping Tocchet due to a need for stability? I haven't seen it

Reactions: Name Nameless

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
NHL sending the Euros home. At least 8 weeks to restart. Then it will be to late.

I wouldn't worry about one-game playoffs.

Season is dead.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
NHL sending the Euros home. At least 8 weeks to restart. Then it will be to late.

I wouldn't worry about one-game playoffs.

Season is dead.
Really too bad. Makes me realize how much enjoyment I get from pro sports. My sincere thanks to the great athletes that have provided the entertainment.

Reactions: Name Nameless

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Not sure what you mean by that. Most thought this team would not make the playoff's this year, were a bubble team at best. The Coyotes just gave us false hope when they were in first place earlier in the year, now we are acting and talking like they are a first place team that crashed and burned. I think with a better coach that crash and burn would not have been as bad and we would still be in the playoff hunt.

Huh?

Just noticed this now. Most everyone had us in the playoffs, including many prognosticators from outside forum 40 on ESPN, NHL.com, and the like. Our average points that was calculated in the season prediction thread was something like 96 or 97 points.

Obviously, we had done things to be a first place team. Do we make the trade for Hall if we were in 4th place in the Pacific in mid-December?

The false hope was that our coach was finally turning things around with the hot start, but then we became satisfied with what was done and didn't prepare for teams in the same ways. It is why we lost a bunch of 2 goal leads during the year. We still played the same way, whether up 1-0, up 4-0, down 2-1, or down 6-2. Can be a good thing, but we also need to conserve energy and figure out how to make the proper in-game adjustments.

Hall is supposed to help our team. If we did make the trade as a 4th place team, then I would expect the team to rise (or at least stay flat) to current productivity. Not get worse. If you are arguing about making the trade in the first place, well, we have never had a #1 OA pick and have been shut out in the draft lottery. Your team is playing the best that they have in a while, and you want to create separation from competitors. No reason not to do that trade. If we pick up Hall and immediately go on a decent point streak, let's say points in 8 straight games (a 5-0-3 record) would have actually given us an additional 7 points relative to what was picked up in that 8 game period of reference. Guess who is sitting 3rd in the Pacific with those 7 additional points? We would be a game back of Edmonton with 1 game in hand.

Do you pay attention to what you post, or do you just flip-flop on everything?

Last edited:

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
"Making the playoffs" for a 1 game play-in game at Winnipeg might be worst thing to happen for AZ. Probably not seeing a home playoff game live & the Hall trade requirements ensure we give up at least a 2nd in 2021, a 1st in Hall re-signs.
I’m pretty sure the condition is that they win a round in the playoffs, not make the playoffs. That being said depending on the format or if there is playoffs, not sure how that condition is going to be taken care of.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Really too bad. Makes me realize how much enjoyment I get from pro sports. My sincere thanks to the great athletes that have provided the entertainment.

This NFL web comic kinda sums it up nicely (apologies for the size):

CoronaSports.png

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I’m pretty sure the condition is that they win a round in the playoffs, not make the playoffs. That being said depending on the format or if there is playoffs, not sure how that condition is going to be taken care of.
yup, condition is winning a round. So what happens if they win the play-in game? Is that a round? Probably not, but it does create a messy situation, not with just Hall, but potentially other TDL moves as well.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
This is the first time I've waded into this thread, and only because the imminent season cancellation is a form of cold comfort. Just in terms of following the NHL, I'm pleased to see the season go up in smoke. I can't imagine how we'd feel if the Coyotes had been sitting atop the Pacific with 100 points last Thursday.

Reactions: Jakey53 and MIG

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Posted the notice in the Roadrunners thread but the AHL announced they won’t come back until May at the earliest. Would presume the NHL is on a similar page

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
This is the first time I've waded into this thread, and only because the imminent season cancellation is a form of cold comfort. Just in terms of following the NHL, I'm pleased to see the season go up in smoke. I can't imagine how we'd feel if the Coyotes had been sitting atop the Pacific with 100 points last Thursday.

When it comes to silver linings, this one surely has to qualify as one of the fakest ever. :baghead:

Reactions: MIG

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Yep, we might actually make the playoffs. :nod:

Proposed format is 24 teams with a best of 3 play in round.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad