Playoffs or Chia fired?

Playoffs or Chia fired?

• Barely makes the playoffs and get knocked out in round 1 (chia is not fired)

• Miss the playoffs this year and Chia gets fired as a result

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Not everything went wrong.

McDavid played all 82 games and won the Art Ross. Draisaitl played 78/82. What happens to this team if some things normalize but either one of these two players is hurt for even 10 games?

Bye bye playoffs.

At this point any injury to any one of Nurse, Klefbom, or Larsson would also be catastrophic.

Literally no core player on this team can get injured even if other things "normalize".
not everything went right in 2016-17...both RNH ad Eberle had down seasons (43 and 51 points respectively...career lows in an 82-game season)

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Regardless i see Chia gone after his contract is up. Hes done nothing amazing being given the gift from god of McDavid.

Hes moved out Eberle/Hall and 2 top picks and all he has to show for it is Strome and Larsson.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
and everything went wrong this past season..from historic home PK woes to 31st PP with McDavid and Drai to goaltending to Lucic getting 1 goal in 48 games
the truth lies somewhere in the middle

so you predicted them finishing 22nd last year?
At best they'd have finished in the last wildcard spot last season. Not acceptable.

I predicted them finishing bottom 10 last year. That roster was and still is hot garbage.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
not everything went right in 2016-17...both RNH ad Eberle had down seasons (43 and 51 points respectively...career lows in an 82-game season)

Fact is at the end of the day this is not really a mentally tough/resilent team.

If there's any major injury now to any one of Drai, RNH, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse that's basically curtains for the season and what are really the odds that all five of these guys all play 78+ games? McDavid ... not even worth mentioning, they're probably picking Hughes if McDavid is gone for any length of time that's significant.

I mean there's fragile and then there's just ridiculously brittle.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Regardless i see Chia gone after his contract is up. Hes done nothing amazing being given the gift from god of McDavid.

Hes moved out Eberle/Hall and 2 top picks and all he has to show for it is Strome and Larsson.

Not entirely true: he's also used up all the cap space!

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
At best they'd have finished in the last wildcard spot last season. Not acceptable.

I predicted them finishing bottom 10 last year. That roster was and still is hot garbage.
see I obviously disagree

when you've tied the record for most playoff misses in the history of the NHL and your franchise is as pathetic as the Oilers in terms of drafting and development, making playoff should and would be a major accomplishment..and I don't care if they took a time machine and brought back Gretz, Messier, Coffey from 1987 and stuck them on the team with McDavid and Draisaitl

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
see I obviously disagree

when you've tied the record for most playoff misses in the history of the NHL and your franchise is as pathetic as the Oilers in terms of drafting and development, making playoff should and would be a major accomplishment..and I don't care if they took a time machine and brought back Gretz, Messier, Coffey from 1987 and stuck them on the team with McDavid and Draisaitl
That attitude is why bad teams continue to be bad.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
the attitude of taking baby steps is a bad one? it's a more pragmatic approach
horrible franchises don't turn around overnight, no matter how good the player is

see Mario Lemieux's first 4 seasons in the NHL
The Penguins were contenders in Crosby's third season. Same with the Caps. The Leafs should be in Matthews' next season as well and he's not even in the same stratosphere as McDavid. In the cap era, if you have a generational player in his prime you should be a cup contender, not missing the playoffs and finishing bottom 10 in the league.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
horrible franchises don't turn around overnight, no matter how good the player is

They also did nothing until they fired the GM and the Oilers really shouldn't be looking at that Pens team.

They were able to basically add a virtual All-Star team around Lemieux (Coffey, Recchi, Mullin, Jagr, Stevens) because there was no salary cap back then. That would be like the Oilers gradually adding Erik Karlsson, a younger James Neal, Joe Pavelski tier players to McDavid and Draisaitl while also acquiring Tarasenko or Kucherov via the draft. Oilers don't have the same luxury.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Penguins were contenders in Crosby's third season. Same with the Caps. The Leafs should be in Matthews' next season as well and he's not even in the same stratosphere as McDavid.
again, the Pens drafted 2 generational players, a #1 goalie and their drafting and development didn't suck as they found Letang in the 3rd round
the Caps were constant disappointments until this year, OV's 12th year in the league
oh, and they missed the playoffs in OV first 2 seasons and made it past round 1 once in OV first 5 seasons..thus, by your metric...not Cup contenders

for the Leafs, I'm sure their fans really wished they'd missed the playoffs instead of being 1st rounder fodder for the Caps and Bruins these past seasons lol

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

And the reason we're taking baby steps and waiting for a bunch of picks to hopefully save the day is that Chia burned cap space and assets to build a winner and failed in the process. He played his hand and he lost.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
again, the Pens drafted 2 generational players, a #1 goalie and their drafting and development didn't suck as they found Letang in the 3rd round
the Caps were constant disappointments until this year, OV's 12th year in the league
oh, and they missed the playoffs in OV first 2 seasons and made it past round 1 once in OV first 5 seasons..thus, by your metric...not Cup contenders

for the Leafs, I'm sure their fans really wished they'd missed the playoffs instead of being 1st rounder fodder for the Caps and Bruins these past seasons lol

Hall + Draisaitl are fairly equivalent to Malkin + whoever Pittsburgh had him playing with in his first three years.

Sorry, but that's not an excuse. Chiarelli was gifted a lot.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
how is this any different than any team these days?

connor-mcdavid.jpg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
where's our "gift" of Letang then? heck, even Ryan Whitney? or a legit #1 goaltender drafted #1 ready to go?

Letang was a 3rd round fluke pick and Letang was not really a big factor until the 08-09 season, which is Crosby's 4th year by which time the Pens had already been to a Stanley Cup final and were well established as an NHL powerhouse.

IF the Oilers hadn't been morons, they very easily were gifted the opportunity to have a core of this

McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, RNH, Barzal or Connor, Sergachev, Klefbom, Nurse.

In all honesty, I take that over the Penguins core group, yes even with Malkin.

Hall + Draisaitl = Malkin, RNH/Barzal/Nurse/Klefbom I take over Staal/Whitney/Fleury.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Letang was a 3rd round fluke pick and Letang was not really a big factor until the 08-09 season, which is Crosby's 4th year by which time the Pens had already been to a Stanley Cup final and were well established as an NHL powerhouse.

IF the Oilers hadn't been morons, they very easily were gifted the opportunity to have a core of this

McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, RNH, Barzal or Connor, Sergachev, Klefbom, Nurse.

In all honesty, I take that over the Penguins core group, yes even with Malkin.

Hall + Draisaitl = Malkin, RNH/Barzal/Nurse/Klefbom I take over Staal/Whitney/Fleury.
classic hindsight thinking...I can do it too

McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, Lindholm, Boeser, Kucherov, Sergachev, Gaudreau, Riestolainen, Gibson

now there's a core based on hindsight

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
classic hindsight thinking...I can do it too

McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, Lindholm, Boeser, Kucherov, Sergachev, Gaudreau, Riestolainen, Gibson

now there's a core based on hindsight

Some how I think finding a Gaudreau in round 6 is a little harder than just taking the two players that were the consensus rated pick at 15 (Barzal or Connor) rather than going way off the board and deciding Griffin Reinhart was a better idea.

Even if you want to remove that, fine ...

McDavid = Crosby
Hall + Draisaitl on line 2 = Malkin + scrub on line 2
RNH + Klefbom + Nurse is not far off from Staal, Whitney, Fleury.

Plus on top on that they had golden opportunities at no.15 in 2015, and no.4 in 2016, but OK, since its "hindsight" to expect the Oilers to have done anything smart ever, OK we'll ignore that.

There should not be as large of a disparity here given what they had as of June 2016 to work with.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I've never liked the Reinhart deal, and I've always maintained it's Chia worse trade by a mile
but assuming they take Barzal with that pick is wrong IMO

It wasn't even Barzal or bust. The Jets with the very next pick took Connor who looks like a total stud.

Of course this franchise is moronic and wouldn't probably have considered either, but that's because they're stupid.

You can't say though the hockey gods didn't give them multiple gifts here. They had as much good fortune as Pittsburgh and if they had been even semi-intelligent they arguably could have had a better core in all honesty. Even with blunders at the 15 and 16 drafts they still should have been comparable.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I've never liked the Reinhart deal, and I've always maintained it's Chia worse trade by a mile

Agreed on all fronts.

Barzal was a home run. If 2016 was re-drafted were does Barzal go? 6 OA?

I know everyone says BPA, but with McDavid/Nuge/Draisaitl I don't think the Oilers were guaranteed to pick a second centre in the first round.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

There were about a half dozen players on the board that would have been better than the nothing they ended up getting. That stupidity led directly into the stupidity of the Hall trade/Lucic signing so it really keeps on giving.

Chia's the bizzaro world version of the guy who turned a paperclip into a house.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There were about a half dozen players on the board that would have been better than the nothing they ended up getting. That stupidity led directly into the stupidity of the Hall trade/Lucic signing so it really keeps on giving.

Chia's the bizzaro world version of the guy who turned a paperclip into a house.

The idiocy of that deal really did IMO probably set off a chain reaction of very unfortunate events.

Had they taken Barzal or Connor at 15 in 2015, they likely have to take Sergachev in 2016 because there's just way too many forwards.

Hall trade likely does not happen either in that scenario.

Everything went wrong once Chia was hired, it set off a chain reaction of terrible moves. He got frustrated that the Bruins wouldn't give him Hamilton, and he's literally the only person they could have hired that cock blocked them from Hamilton, then that leads to them giving the Islanders the same package for Reinhart out of desperation to be able to tout "hey we got a d-man too" and then it starts going rapidly down hill from there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad