Playoffs or Chia fired?

Playoffs or Chia fired?

• Barely makes the playoffs and get knocked out in round 1 (chia is not fired)

• Miss the playoffs this year and Chia gets fired as a result

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You've missed my point. Hate Chia all you want. I think he should be fired yesterday.
Well he didn't exactly do a whole lot in the offseason worth discussing. There's a couple PTOs I guess.

You're right in that circular arguments will always occur, but it seems a bit weird to complain about them in a thread designed to talk about the GM.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I want the Oilers to make the playoffs. Will they? I have my doubts.

If Chia isn't fired if they don't though... That would be unacceptable IMO.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
"Why won't anyone answer the question that has nothing to do with what anyone is talking about?" is a weird-ass take.
it has lot to do with I'm talking about
because had the Oilers showed an inkling of turning the corner in terms of wins at any point during their terrible run....like the Jets did in 2014-15, or like they did in 2016-17 winning 40 games, the organization could still preach "patience"...

like the Jets did

but we agree they never did show any evidence of winning hockey games

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
it has lot to do with I'm talking about
because had the Oilers showed an inkling of turning the corner in terms of wins at any point during their terrible run....like the Jets did in 2014-15, or like they did in 2016-17 winning 40 games, the organization could still preach "patience"...

like the Jets did

but we agree they never did show any evidence of winning hockey games

If you'd asked a Jets fan prior to the start of last season if a four game sweep in 14-15 meant they had turned a corner, they would probably laugh in your face.

But sure, let's agree to say Chia caved to the pressure to win as soon as possible and made his various moves accordingly. If that's the case, then it's impossible to see his tenure as anything other than a failure. Two out of three years out of the playoffs and heading into a fourth season with a roster with so many question marks it looks like the Riddler. All with the best player in the league and back-to back Art Ross winner.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Every thread on the board is the same 3 posters arguing the same circular argument.

Training camp can't arrive fast enough.

Almost 44 percent of those polled on this very thread would rather see this guy fired than playoffs.

You know you are horrendous at your job when ...

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Almost 44 percent of those polled on this very thread would rather see this guy fired than playoffs.

You know you are horrendous at your job when ...

I feel like it would be higher if people actually read the fine print of the poll.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If you're gonna do the whole "win now" thing then fine, get a roster that can "win now". Larsson in at the expense of Hall is not nearly enough of a "gain" to turn this team into a "win now" team.

Lucic is ultimately a player this team never should have signed.

We should not be a "bubble team .... maybe .... if everything goes right from now on" if those "win now" moves were actually that good. Reinhart trade was stupid, Strome does nothing to help this team win games. Sekera is a bit of bad luck, but that tends to follow bad GMs around.

It doesn't help when one of Chiarelli's few legit good moves in Patrick Maroon is a player we couldn't even keep because Chiarelli couldn't manage the cap. Now the irony is we might have to wait a couple of years for Yamamoto/Bouchard/Puljujarvi to develop (assuming they all even pan out) before they see the playoffs again.

His moves may have inadvertently pushed us basically into another mini-rebuild at least.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
If you're gonna do the whole "win now" thing then fine, get a roster that can "win now". Larsson in at the expense of Hall is not nearly enough of a "gain" to turn this team into a "win now" team.

I would bet real money that Chia was told in no uncertain terms "Daryl wants a playoff team by the time the new barn opens."

Maybe now that Katz has moved on to trying his luck in Hollywood they can actually focus on building a team for sustained success.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would bet real money that Chia was told in no uncertain terms "Daryl wants a playoff team by the time the new barn opens."

Maybe now that Katz has moved on to trying his luck in Hollywood they can actually focus on building a team for sustained success.

If they wanted to do the freaking "win now" thing it makes more sense to dangle the no.4 pick in that case. That's a player that likely is 2-3 years out from helping the team, trading your 2nd best forward to "win now" was stupid.

If you wanna go down that road then trade the 4th for Chris Tanev or Tyler Myers or something, that way you're actively upgrading the existing roster without taking a large step backwards somewhere else.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Almost 44 percent of those polled on this very thread would rather see this guy fired than playoffs. You know you are horrendous at your job when ...
I think I've been very vocal in my dislike of Peter Chiarelli. He's awful and deserves to be fired. No question. But in the end I watch hockey for entertainment. Getting to the playoffs is way more entertaining than watching this team stumble through another GM search.

As an aside, I wonder why some posters are still blaming OBC. Its like they are caught in a time warp or something. This is Chiarelli's mess now ... and Nicholson seems to escaping any criticism at all. Can't quite understand that.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I think I've been very vocal in my dislike of Peter Chiarelli. He's awful and deserves to be fired. No question. But in the end I watch hockey for entertainment. Getting to the playoffs is way more entertaining than watching this team stumble through another GM search.

As an aside, I wonder why some posters are still blaming OBC. Its like they are caught in a time warp or something. This is Chiarelli's mess now ... and Nicholson seems to escaping any criticism at all. Can't quite understand that.
The real culprit here is Katz. This team won't win anything as long as he owns it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Unfortunately the reality of the situation is not so simple. There are more than ample red flags with our current GM. Allowing him to remain employed on the back of hitting a bare minimum result could actively endanger the team in the long run.

Look at the Islanders, Snow got them into the playoffs 3 times I believe but it was also equally true he was a poor manager who in the long run cost them Tavares. What in the long run would have been better, missing the playoffs one of those 3 times but getting Snow fired say five years ago?

If that had happened Tavares may still be an Islander.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Todd and Daryl just need to grab Chia by the ears this time...

upload_2018-8-29_21-7-25.png

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Both Chia and Bergevin are trying to out-stupid each other it really is something to watch.

Bergevin turned Subban, Sergachev, and Galchenyuk into Weber, Drouin, and Domi. Then signed Price to a super inflated contract.

Chia turned Hall, Eberle, Schultz, the 16th overall in 2015 that became Barzal into Larsson, Strome, and basically nothing, lol. Then signed Lucic to a horrible deal.

I dunno, I think Chia's list is worse, lol. Habs could have Subban + Sergachev + Galchenyuk if Bergevin was smart. But the Oilers could have Hall + Barzal + cap room that could've let them keep Maroon if Lucic wasn't hogging it all.

I'm not a Chia fan, but just watch this and tell me he's worse than Bergevin:

The only thing Bergevin has over Chia is muscles.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The real culprit here is Katz. This team won't win anything as long as he owns it.
And when Katz wrested control of the team away from the EIG I was one of a very few posters not cheering the move. I said on the day it happened that this did not bode well for the team. Got shouted down by a couple guys who are now 'liking' your post. Funny that.

As much as I dislike Katz, I think its a bit of a stretch to say that the team can't win with him as owner. And if you really believe that, why waste so much energy attacking Chiarelli? The vast majority of this board loved the Nicholson, Chiarelli, McLellan hirings. Finally we have a group of respected, capable hockey men in charge we were told. So I don't see how the board can now fault Katz for hiring people that nearly everyone agreed were good choices. Those three guys have let Katz down. They have let the team down, and they have let the fans down.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
And when Katz wrested control of the team away from the EIG I was one of a very few posters not cheering the move. I said on the day it happened that this did not bode well for the team. Got shouted down by a couple guys who are now 'liking' your post. Funny that.

As much as I dislike Katz, I think its a bit of a stretch to say that the team can't win with him as owner. And if you really believe that, why waste so much energy attacking Chiarelli? The vast majority of this board loved the Nicholson, Chiarelli, McLellan hirings. Finally we have a group of respected, capable hockey men in charge we were told. So I don't see how the board can now fault Katz for hiring people that nearly everyone agreed were good choices. Those three guys have let Katz down. They have let the team down, and they have let the fans down.
Management did a good job under EIG because they had no other choice. Fans weren't mindlessly buying tickets back then like we are today and the owners didn't have bottomless pockets so every move management made had to be the right one. That 2006 cup run cursed this team in some ways as they've been riding the goodwill gained from that run for the last 12 years. It seems like people are starting to finally get fed up now though. The season ticket waitlist has shrunk severely and the powerpacks didn't sell out for the first time in forever. I've actually seen a bunch of promoted tweets by the Oilers trying to sell tickets. Next summer after yet another season without this playoffs we might be seeing some big changes as season ticket holders (myself included) are going to be cancelling in droves. We're a year away from a half empty Rogers Place.

Although everyone in the management team failed, Chiarelli has by far caused the most damage to this team. What he's done to this roster is disgusting and he needs to be fired before he causes any more damage. I don't trust Katz to hire anyone competent who isn't a part of the OBC (Keith Gretzky is probably the next GM) but you literally couldn't get any worse than Chia.

In hindsight, at least 2 of those 3 hires were awful (I'm still not sure TMac is a problem). Bobby Nick's previous job of picking Team Canada was so easy that a child could do it and Chiarelli sewered the Bruins so badly that the team won't even trade with him anymore. If you want to throw TMac in there, he spent his last job underachieving with one of the best rosters in the league.

Reactions: harpoon

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Bobby Nick's previous job of picking Team Canada was so easy that a child could do it
But he is thought of as a 'great' hockey mind and I never see him taking any heat on this board at all. He should be right there with Chiarelli taking a large share of the blame.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
But he is thought of as a 'great' hockey mind and I never see him taking any heat on this board at all. He should be right there with Chiarelli taking a large share of the blame.
No one in management takes as much heat on this board as they should because half the posters here believe that criticizing management = not being a real fan.

Nicholson is a moron and his presser at the end of the season proved it. With that being said, he's not the one who traded Taylor Hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad