Playoffs or Chia fired?

Playoffs or Chia fired?

• Barely makes the playoffs and get knocked out in round 1 (chia is not fired)

• Miss the playoffs this year and Chia gets fired as a result

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westbeast

Jun 22, 2017
Simple question:

Hypothetically, would you guys rather have the oilers barely make the playoffs and get knocked out in the 1st round OR have the oilers miss the playoffs and Chia gets fired as a result. (of course with the assumption that if the Oilers make the playoffs, Chia does not get fired)

Personally, i'd be willing to go through the misery of missing the playoffs one more year just to see Chia fired. Imo in the long haul it'd be more worth it as Chia has set us back multiple years already. I cannot stand his incompetence any longer.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Playoffs. I really don't want to sit through another year of shit hockey even if it means Chiarelli gets canned.

It would also mean the team is closer to what we saw in 2016-17 than 2017-18.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Absolutely want them to make the playoffs.

If they make the playoffs it just might mean Chia's plan is coming together and will mean some, if not all, of Yamamoto/Lucic/Puljujarvi/Klefa/Larsson/Nurse upped their games.

I'd rather have the Oilers squeak in because that would provide hope for 2019-20. A new GM means a new rebuild. Do not want.

westbeast

Jun 22, 2017
But making the playoffs does not necessarily mean we are contenders. I'd rather miss the playoffs this year, retinker with a new GM. Instead of us being a bubble team every year and going nowhere. I just don't trust Chia and his ability to make moves to turn us into contenders.

Reactions: Yeah15 and thadd

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I was in favor of getting rid of Hall and Eberle because they were not effective in Edmonton.
Hall worked his ass off, but he played in a way that everyone had to have their universe revolving around him for Hall to be the least bit effective.
Eberle was our own personal Alexi Kovalev. Kid has so much skill but totally lacked heart.

What I was not in favor of was the kind of players he wanted to bring in. Russel, Lucic and Maroon didn't make us better. Even if Lucic wasn't totally out of shape last year he was way too sluggish. The rest of the league moved on and this showed that Chia wasn't willing to change with the time when it counted.

Now that the whole world knows that Chia's team building strategy isn't going to work I think that Chia should lose his job by default. Whatever he does from here on out he's making up on the spot. We deserve better than this.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I don't trust Chia at all. I don't think he has what it takes to build a contender (he's literally been gifted the pieces and has managed to set us back somehow). We need someone who understands the new NHL and basic economics (you don't trade away every player at their rock bottom value). So in summary, I voted the latter.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why not both?

Then again he survived what should've been a "gimme" season. There's no way he should've survived this season given his awful strategy. If we miss again next year I'm not confident he actually gets fired.

Having some crazy good center depth and being unable to do anything with it should ensure he never works in hockey ever again. A two foot putt and he drove it into the lake.

westbeast

Jun 22, 2017
I don't trust Chia at all. I don't think he has what it takes to build a contender (he's literally been gifted the pieces and has managed to set us back somehow). We need someone who understands the new NHL and basic economics (you don't trade away every player at their rock bottom value). So in summary, I voted the latter.
^my thoughts exactly. To think of what this team could have been and the firepower we would have (Hall and hypothetically barzal and beauvillier; even though I know we were rumoured to take Erikson-Ek)

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Make the playoffs. Chia will most likely get canned with a round 1 exit anyway.

westbeast

Jun 22, 2017
Why not both?

Then again he survived what should've been a "gimme" season. There's no way he should've survived this season given his awful strategy. If we miss again next year I'm not confident he actually gets fired.

Having some crazy good center depth and being unable to do anything with it should ensure he never works in hockey ever again. A two foot putt and he drove it into the lake.
I truly believe bob nicholson and co. were seriously contemplating firing Chia and McLellan but wanted some stability.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I want Chia gone, far far away. I can live through one terrible more year for a high draft and new and actually competent management coming in. Plus, what's the point of barely squeaking in and losing the first round only to have Chia keep running this team into the ground.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
I'm pretty convinced that Pistol Pete & Todd cannot direct this team where we all desperately want it to go. Things may actually need to get worse.... before they can get better. I will watch every game & cheer just like all of you & I am more than happy to be wrong, but this roster, as is, is not good enough imo.

Reactions: 780il

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
It’s inconceivable we could win in the playoffs if we did make it eh?

Yeah, I voted Chia fired based on the two options as I want to see the team take a big step forward and have been highly critical of Chiarelli, but I'd still take being dead wrong and a legit good team over being bad just so he's fired. I'd just hate to be a perpetual bubble team with McDavid and never fire anyone.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, I voted Chia fired based on the two options as I want to see the team take a big step forward and have been highly critical of Chiarelli, but I'd still take being dead wrong and a legit good team over being bad just so he's fired.

The part in bold is an excellent take.

I don't think anyone is truly a fan of the team if they are cheering against the Oilers being a good team because they don't like Chia.

Reactions: Leo360 and McNuge

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
But making the playoffs does not necessarily mean we are contenders. I'd rather miss the playoffs this year, retinker with a new GM. Instead of us being a bubble team every year and going nowhere. I just don't trust Chia and his ability to make moves to turn us into contenders.
Weren't we contenders in 2016-17?
we we one of the Cup favorites last year at this time?

people who'd rather watch the Oiler lose than win is plain sad.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm pretty convinced that Pistol Pete & Todd cannot direct this team where we all desperately want it to go. Things may actually need to get worse.... before they can get better. I will watch every game & cheer just like all of you & I am more than happy to be wrong, but this roster, as is, is not good enough imo.

Please, stop with this madness. I can copy and paste this exact statement from every couple of years since '06 and the results always get worse.

There is no scenario where missing the playoffs would be beneficial to the organization. The grass isn't always greener on the other side and every time the team has a poor season and "fans" want the team to have more poor seasons so the current GM, coach or players that they choose to hate at the moment can lose their job, the team ends up worse for it and the fanbase longs for that very GM, coach and players that they ran out of town not too long before. Renney, Wreck It Ralph, Nelson, even MacT and Tambo recently, Schultz, Eberle, Pouliot, Hendricks and I'm sure many other names come to mind. Hell, even Hall was receiving heavy criticism after a couple of "down" years compared to his usual standard.

I think we can all agree that Chia has made some critical errors, Mclellan has made some odd decisions and some of the players are really flawed but I would never EVER wish failure for my team just so some guy in a suit can get fired unless it's somebody like Eakins who was a black cloud in every respect. What we need to happen is for the team to do as well as possible so everybody in the organization comes up smelling like roses and they don't waste more years of the best player in the game.
With that said, this season doesn't look promising (on paper) so some might get their wish of another failed season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senor Catface

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Weren't we contenders in 2016-17?
we we one of the Cup favorites last year at this time?

people who'd rather watch the Oiler lose than win is plain sad.
Shame about that swift bout of reality....

And no, we weren't contenders. We were picked to miss the playoffs again that year. Then we were cup favourites because experts were incredibly short-sighted and assumed everything would bank right again.

As of this season the Oilers might be a wild card team. And given the caliber of talent we have at center that's absolutely pathetic.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Shame about that swift bout of reality....

And no, we weren't contenders. We were picked to miss the playoffs again that year. Then we were cup favourites because experts were incredibly short-sighted and assumed everything would bank right again.

As of this season the Oilers might be a wild card team. And given the caliber of talent we have at center that's absolutely pathetic.
so bottom line is this: no one know anything until the season starts...

and yeah, I'm sure you'll be choked if the Oilers were a wildcard team lol

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
so bottom line is this: no one know anything until the season starts...

and yeah, I'm sure you'll be choked if the Oilers were a wildcard team lol
I'd be choked about being first round fodder for Winnipeg or Nashville, for sure. And that's if we're so lucky.

Given that the team isn't any better roster-wise than last year's, it's not hard to see why someone would be pessimistic about the upcoming season. We've marginally upgraded the bottom 6 and lost a top 4 defenseman for a lengthy period of time... again.

Having McDavid should make the Oilers an instant contender but thanks to the overall incompetence of the org, even that isn't enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad