Playoffs or Chia fired?

Playoffs or Chia fired?

• Barely makes the playoffs and get knocked out in round 1 (chia is not fired)

• Miss the playoffs this year and Chia gets fired as a result

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Chiarelli's team as he made it stays intact, he should be fired if it misses the playoffs.

There's always the possibility of injury issues. I'm not counting Sekera here since Chia has time to respond to that, and some new cap space to work with to make something happen. But, if there are lots of injury issues besides that, especially with McDavid and Draisaitl, and the team plays well but misses the playoffs, Chia likely stays.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'd be choked about being first round fodder for Winnipeg or Nashville, for sure. And that's if we're so lucky.
yeah, having a team thats good enough to make the playoffs would be horrible for the organization
I mean, who want's to be in the top half of the league anyways?
come on man

Given that the team isn't any better roster-wise than last year's, it's not hard to see why someone would be pessimistic about the upcoming season. We've marginally upgraded the bottom 6 and lost a top 4 defenseman for a lengthy period of time... again.

Having McDavid should make the Oilers an instant contender but thanks to the overall incompetence of the org, even that isn't enough.
I also think we've upgraded the coaching staff and addressed our most glaring weakness...special teams and goaltending
this is far from a perfect team and it needs some young guys to turn out, but we still have the most important pieces on the team

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
yeah, having a team thats good enough to make the playoffs would be horrible for the organization
I mean, who want's to be in the top half of the league anyways?
come on man
We have the best player on the planet. Being a first round exit should be beneath the Oilers. Simply aiming for the playoffs is what mediocre teams strive for. The Oilers should strive to be legitimate contenders. I get that last season lowered a lot of expectations, but would you really be content with 5 extra games in a season?

I also think we've upgraded the coaching staff and addressed our most glaring weakness...special teams and goaltending
this is far from a perfect team and it needs some young guys to turn out, but we still have the most important pieces on the team
We did not address goaltending. Talbot's still here along with a few unproven backups. If someone doesn't take the reins and run with them the Oilers are in serious trouble. We have good center depth. That's all we have. Crap wingers, crap defense and questionable goaltending. McDavid doesn't fix all those problems.

I'm hopeful the new assistant coaches will help but there's still the same two blokes steering this boat. Hope they avoid the glacier this time.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Simple question:

Hypothetically, would you guys rather have the oilers barely make the playoffs and get knocked out in the 1st round OR have the oilers miss the playoffs and Chia gets fired as a result. (of course with the assumption that if the Oilers make the playoffs, Chia does not get fired)

Personally, i'd be willing to go through the misery of missing the playoffs one more year just to see Chia fired. Imo in the long haul it'd be more worth it as Chia has set us back multiple years already. I cannot stand his incompetence any longer.
thread is 10 yrs too late...
i hope we suck just so xxxxx gets fired is nothing new on HFOil.
What makes you think his replacement would be an upgrade?

Reactions: Aerchon

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nobody wants another losing season. Change may be needed, yes again, for things to improve. I am not basing that on nothing. Our GM & HC continue to make questionable decisions imo. Maybe you like more of their decisions than I do @McCupofOil

Saying things like "things may need to get worse before they get better" is implying that you are, at least somewhat, rooting for an awful season so that things can get better in future seasons.

I haven't been a fan of some of their decisions, as I mentioned in my post, but I hope more than anything else that the team succeeds big so their decisions wind up looking better. I don't hold enough contempt for either guy that I'd wish for team failure just so they can get canned.

Another failed season and another "do over" for the team going into McDavid's FIFTH season would be a disaster no matter who one spins it. Is a retread GM who got fired previously and Gulutzan as head coach that enticing that a failed season was worth it? That's what we're likely to see.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
We have the best player on the planet. Being a first round exit should be beneath the Oilers. Simply aiming for the playoffs is what mediocre teams strive for. The Oilers should strive to be legitimate contenders. I get that last season lowered a lot of expectations, but would you really be content with 5 extra games in a season?
so you think this team should go from league punching bag for a Decade to contenders overnight because of McDavid?
why? how often does that happen?

We did not address goaltending. Talbot's still here along with a few unproven backups. If someone doesn't take the reins and run with them the Oilers are in serious trouble. We have good center depth. That's all we have. Crap wingers, crap defense and questionable goaltending. McDavid doesn't fix all those problems.

I'm hopeful the new assistant coaches will help but there's still the same two blokes steering this boat. Hope they avoid the glacier this time.
Al Montoya is the very definition of a proven backup lol
Koskinen is unproven in the NHL but had amazing numbers in the KHL

the wingers aren't "crap", I'd say "unproven"
if Klefbom recovers and Benning takes a step I think our defense is more than adequate

Reactions: Cypress

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Nobody should confuse this boards general disbelief in Chiarelli's ability to lead us to the promised land for not actually wanting to get there.

We're all on the same side here guys.

There are still eight people who said they would prefer the Oilers miss the playoffs, and Chia get fired, to the team making the playoffs and Chia keeping his job.

Anybody who wants this team to miss the playoffs again isn't on the same side I'm on.

I would much rather the Oilers make the playoffs and get swept in the first round than endure another missed playoffs out of distaste for Chia.

fwiw two playoff appearances in four seasons for the Oilers wouldn't look that bad on Chia. He would only be the second Oilers GM to make the playoffs half the time or better.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
so you think this team should go from league punching bag for a Decade to contenders overnight because of McDavid?
Well we were apparently contenders last season, weren't we? McDavid brings so much to the Oilers it's stupid. Without him they would've been DFL last year. We have to settle for maybe being a playoff team if everything goes right instead of perennial playoff team because of the team's overall shit management. Whoopie.

Al Montoya is the very definition of a proven backup lol
Koskinen is unproven in the NHL but had amazing numbers in the KHL
Montoya is pretty crap, and Koskinen has less NHL games than you have fingers on your left hand. Reminds me of the days of Roman Cvervenka, the best player not playing in the NHL... I'm praying to the deities that Talbot rebounds.

the wingers aren't "crap", I'd say "unproven"
if Klefbom recovers and Benning takes a step I think our defense is more than adequate
Our highest scoring winger was traded at the TDL. The wingers are crap, dude. Worst in the league. How many defenders quake in their boots when Lucic or Rattie bears down on them?
"If things go right the defense isn't so bad". And if my aunt had nuts.... Benning is likely going to be put into the top 4 again and we all know how that experiment turned out. The defense wasn't good enough last year but this year it's going to be more than adequate? Klefbom was crap but he wasn't the only one. Benning and Larsson were both pretty bad too.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
A first round exit is not a successful season imo. I will not celebrate mediocrity with the best player in the world leading our team. I would rather have the shiny new draft choice (yep, another one) & meaningful needed change. If that makes me the bad guy...so be it

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Well we were apparently contenders last season, weren't we? McDavid brings so much to the Oilers it's stupid. Without him they would've been DFL last year. We have to settle for maybe being a playoff team if everything goes right instead of perennial playoff team because of the team's overall **** management. Whoopie.
again, why do you think this team should be instant contenders overnight?

Montoya is pretty crap, and Koskinen has less NHL games than you have fingers on your left hand. Reminds me of the days of Roman Cvervenka, the best player not playing in the NHL... I'm praying to the deities that Talbot rebounds.
so which stone-cold mortal lock of a goalie should the Oilers have brought in to challenge Talbot?

Our highest scoring winger was traded at the TDL. The wingers are crap, dude. Worst in the league. How many defenders quake in their boots when Lucic or Rattie bears down on them?
what if Puljujarvi scores 20? what if Lucic scores his usual 20? what is Yamamoto comes in and scores 15?
like I said, unproven but could still be decent
"If things go right the defense isn't so bad". And if my aunt had nuts.... Benning is likely going to be put into the top 4 again and we all know how that experiment turned out. The defense wasn't good enough last year but this year it's going to be more than adequate? Klefbom was crap but he wasn't the only one. Benning and Larsson were both pretty bad too.
again, yes if Klefbom returns to form I believe it is more than adequate

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
A first round exit is not a successful season imo. I will not celebrate mediocrity with the best player in the world leading our team. I would rather have the shiny new draft choice (yep, another one) & meaningful needed change. If that makes me the bad guy...so be it
if you hate management now (and before), what makes to think they'll finally make the right choice for the next GM?

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
I cheer for the success of my team. I want them to make the playoffs because anything can happen if you do. I don't like or trust Chia as a GM, but I will always cheer for my team to go as far as possible over being spiteful towards a seemingly incompetent person.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
if you hate management now (and before), what makes to think they'll finally make the right choice for the next GM?
I don't "hate" anyone...I just don't trust the judgement and decision making of Todd or Pete. I think we need new leadership in 2 essential & important positions to have success as an organization. There is no guarantee the next GM will be better, but I am hopeful that he will be. If you are paying someone to clean your house, but it is filthy...you find someone else

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

As you well know, the argument is that they coulda been a contender but were sewered by management, which is why we're just hoping to squeak in at this point.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I don't "hate" anyone...I just don't trust the judgement and decision making of Todd or Pete. I think we need new leadership in 2 essential & important positions to have success as an organization. There is no guarantee the next GM will be better, but I am hopeful that he will be. If you are paying someone to clean your house, but it is filthy...you find someone else
So you would rather miss the playoffs and hire a GM that may or may not be better than our current GM... than make the playoffs and be a good team?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
As you well know, the argument is that they coulda been a contender but were sewered by management, which is why we're just hoping to squeak in at this point.
an argument can also be made they're on the verge of being a contender as we speak...or not even close to the playoffs

but that's not the point of my post...no team goes from a Decade of garbage to contenders overnight

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
an argument can also be made they're on the verge of being a contender as we speak...or not even close to the playoffs

but that's not the point of my post...no team goes from a Decade of garbage to contenders overnight

Chicago did. Pittsburgh did. In fact those two examples are why so many fans were ok with tanking for picks back in the day because elite talent is a essential prerequisite of being a contending team. The reason we're a big fat question mark now is there just isn't enough elite talent around McDavid.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
The poll says a first round exit. If all we get is a first round exit, than that is marginally better than missing the playoffs all together. I would never want Chia gone, if it means we are a good team in the playoffs. A successful season to me, is not a taste of the playoffs

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
again, why do you think this team should be instant contenders overnight?
This isn't overnight at this point. McDavid's entering his fourth season and has seen playoff action just once, and the other two seasons his team wasn't even close to a playoff spot. You said yourself that many people had the Oilers pegged as contenders this last season. Obviously they weren't. Why are we satisfied with being mediocre when we have the league's best player? Would you seriously be satisfied with just sneaking into the playoffs every year and bowing out in 6 games or less? It's one thing when you simply don't have the talent, but we have some of the best center depth in the entire league.

so which stone-cold mortal lock of a goalie should the Oilers have brought in to challenge Talbot?
Oh Lord, I already know how this argument is going to go. I'll save you the time and write it out for you. "He sucks", "He wasn't attainable", "He's not a tangible upgrade". Khudobin would've been a nice grab for the same price and one extra year, coming off a pretty good season to boot. There, I gave you one goalie.

what if Puljujarvi scores 20? what if Lucic scores his usual 20? what is Yamamoto comes in and scores 15?
like I said, unproven but could still be decent

And what if they don't? Last year wasn't kind to any of those guys. Lucic should be better (god willing) but there's no guarantee that either KY or JP have impactful years. I'm fine with JP remaining with the club but let KY develop. The Oilers need to stop relying on young, unproven players to solve their problems.

again, yes if Klefbom returns to form I believe it is more than adequate

And Larsson/Benning improves, Nurse keeps up his play, and Sekera isn't missed too much. It's fine to pin blame on Klefbom but there are other defensemen that play on this team.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Chicago did. Pittsburgh did.
so all the Oilers needed to do was draft 2 generational picks back-to-back, a #1 goalie with one of their #1 overalls and find elite puck-movers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (Keith and Letang)...despite having very poor drafting and developing...easy peasy

In fact those two examples are why so many fans were ok with tanking for picks back in the day because elite talent is a essential prerequisite of being a contending team. The reason we're a big fat question mark now is there just isn't enough elite talent around McDavid.
and back in the day we had so-called "elite" talent in the form of Hall, RNH, Eberle and Schultz and even Dubnyk...and everyone clamored for "balance" and "toughness" because they weren't winning hockey games

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
This isn't overnight at this point. McDavid's entering his fourth season and has seen playoff action just once, and the other two seasons his team wasn't even close to a playoff spot. You said yourself that many people had the Oilers pegged as contenders this last season. Obviously they weren't. Why are we satisfied with being mediocre when we have the league's best player? Would you seriously be satisfied with just sneaking into the playoffs every year and bowing out in 6 games or less? It's one thing when you simply don't have the talent, but we have some of the best center depth in the entire league.
ummm, considering we've been a running joke for so long yes lol
I don't care if we have Gretzky, Messier, McDavid, Coffey and Cujo are on this team....if we've missed the playoffs in 11 of 12 seasons, making the damn playoffs should be the goal.

Oh Lord, I already know how this argument is going to go. I'll save you the time and write it out for you. "He sucks", "He wasn't attainable", "He's not a tangible upgrade". Khudobin would've been a nice grab for the same price and one extra year, coming off a pretty good season to boot. There, I gave you one goalie.
Khudobin is as unproven as anyone lol

And what if they don't? Last year wasn't kind to any of those guys. Lucic should be better (god willing) but there's no guarantee that either KY or JP have impactful years. I'm fine with JP remaining with the club but let KY develop. The Oilers need to stop relying on young, unproven players to solve their problems.
then the team probably isn't very good and Chia is fired...pretty simple
in the new NHL with a salary cap, teams need to reply on young players on cheap deals

And Larsson/Benning improves, Nurse keeps up his play, and Sekera isn't missed too much. It's fine to pin blame on Klefbom but there are other defensemen that play on this team.
because Klefbom took the biggest regression...went from the 38 point top line stud to a ghost...

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
ummm, considering we've been a running joke so far long yes lol
I don't care if we have Gretzky, Messier, McDavid, Coffey and Cujo are on this team....if we've missed the playoffs in 11 of 12 seasons, making the damn playoffs should be the goal.
But we have some incredible talent down the middle. We're not foisting our hopes upon Ales Hemsky's decrepit shoulders anymore. If we didn't have the talent then fine, be satisfied with just getting there. But we have Connor McDavid. You think he would be satisfied with being the free bingo spot on the playoff card year after year?

Khudobin is as unproven as anyone lol
Ah yes, I knew I missed one of those answers. But the guy with FOUR NHL games is the solution and for the same price at that! 147 GP is only slightly bigger than 4.

then the team probably isn't very good and Chia is fired...pretty simple
in the new NHL with a salary cap, teams need to reply on young players on cheap deals
You are correct, which is a shame that we have a few overpaid old bums on lengthy, expensive contracts. (Sekera, Lucic, Russell) But if you're constantly relying on them to get the job done, well... See the decade of darkness for how that turned out. You need a good mix of both young and veteran players.

because Klefbom took the biggest regression...went from the 38 point top line stud to a ghost...
But he wasn't the only one. That's my point. The Oilers weren't all that much better when he wasn't on the ice. Yes he had a terrible year. Only Nurse and to a lesser extent Russell had passable years last year on defense.

And you can't deny there's a distinct possibility that Bouchard is thrust into the lineup to cover for Sekera's absence.

westbeast

Jun 22, 2017
thread is 10 yrs too late...
i hope we suck just so xxxxx gets fired is nothing new on HFOil.
What makes you think his replacement would be an upgrade?
ANY GM would be a considered an upgrade over Chia... (besides Bergervin lol). The moves he has made has set the oilers back multiple years. Honestly, looking back I'd even rather have Tambellini as the GM during the Mcdavid era. And thats saying something... His inability to make trades would probably make us a better team today IMO. Can anyone really argue that trading Hall for pennies or selling Eberle at an all time low, or trading for Reinhart would have been better than just standing pat? FFS we're still looking for a #1 Dman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad