Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This thread wouldn't be toxic if people weren't acting like a 7 game sample justifies their hot takes. Matthews didn't get on the scoreboard enough that doesn't mean he's not built for the playoffs or whatever other garbage people spew.

Sure, but one 4 goal game obviously means he's generational though right? And one season where he didn't hit a point per game pace mean's he's top 5 in the league right? Funny how the complaints about sample sizes only start because it doesn't make him look good now. And this is a thread about PLAYOFF PERFORMANCE. How many game sample sizes do we need before we can assess someone's playoff performance?

Reactions: Snowman

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This thread wouldn't be so toxic if it wasn't for Leaf fans trying to argue that somehow 9 points in 11 games is equal to 2 points in 6 games when trying to assess playoff performance. Laine has/had a better playoffs. It's simple. It's supported by stats and facts. It's also supported by the eye test.

So if Matthews touched the puck and went off to the bench immediately for 4 more secondary assists where he did nothing, he would have had an equal playoff performance?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Sure, but one 4 goal game obviously means he's generational though right? And one season where he didn't hit a point per game pace mean's he's top 5 in the league right? Funny how the complaints about sample sizes only start because it doesn't make him look good now. And this is a thread about PLAYOFF PERFORMANCE. How many game sample sizes do we need before we can assess someone's playoff performance?

Well the fact his playoff performance last year doesn't count is also a little suspicious. He was shut down by Bergeron and Chara, he's not the first player to be shut down by them and he won't be the last.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I've been critical of Laine this entire playoffs.

He's been slowdogging it like he was at the beginning of the season.

Look at Perrault's play yesterday. He gets back into the lineup and completely outshines Laine with his hustle. Laine is not playing to his ability.....but he's still putting up points.

For some reason your argument went off on this inane tangent where assists don't count.

He's not on the top of my **** list though. That spot is thoroughly reserved for Ehlers.

To say that his points don't count though.....that's just stupid.

No one is saying they don’t count, I’m saying he hasn’t had a great playoffs and the Jets expected more goals because that’s his role on the team...to bag goals.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
No one is saying they don’t count, I’m saying he hasn’t had a great playoffs and the Jets expected more goals because that’s his role on the team...to bag goals.

You've constantly downplayed his assists this entire time.....now all of a sudden they count?

A goalscorer that isn't scoring but setting up other people is still a productive player.

If you want to say he hasn't been "great" then fine. He's still been good.

Don't act like you haven't been needlessly shitting on him this entire time. Remember "all of his secondary assist" like you're trying to paint every single point as a formality.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
You've constantly downplayed his assists this entire time.....now all of a sudden they count?

A goalscorer that isn't scoring but setting up other people is still a productive player.

If you want to say he hasn't been "great" then fine. He's still been good.

Don't act like you haven't been needlessly ****ting on him this entire time. Remember "all of his secondary assist" like you're trying to paint every single point as a formality.

I'd love just one thread where trolling didn't ruin everything. It's always the same thing a neutral thread starts then someone (usually not even a fan of either team) goes to far and it becomes a race to the bottom about how to devalue the other player.

*That's not directed at you btw, just frustration over the entire exchange.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
In case anyone is curious this is what it looks like when someone lives in someones head. When all you talk about is a player not even on your team you might have a problem.
In case anyone is curious, this is what a post from someone who doesn't engage in a conversation looks like cause they are running and hiding in the corner when the going gets tough. Grade A example of a wimp just like his hero. Bows out in the first round of conversation and pouts and says that is stupid. Am i getting this right? Back to mommy little boy.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Hmm Babcock back in toronto now....guess he couldn't afford more than 2 nights in a hotel. He really splurged on those family vacations. Where are those fools saying it was a coincidence that he was vactioning...ha ha.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Hmm Babcock back in toronto now....guess he couldn't afford more than 2 nights in a hotel. He really splurged on those family vacations. Where are those fools saying it was a coincidence that he was vactioning...ha ha.

K, what’s going on exactly? I missed something.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
In case anyone is curious, this is what a post from someone who doesn't engage in a conversation looks like cause they are running and hiding in the corner when the going gets tough. Grade A example of a wimp just like his hero. Bows out in the first round of conversation and pouts and says that is stupid. Am i getting this right? Back to mommy little boy.

Seek help.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Matthews and Babcock met in Arizona while Babcock was on vacation. The Toronto media is desperate to make it into something.

Yeah, I was just on the Leafs board reading about it. I’m sure there’s a reason for the visit, but nothing that should attract any media. This is all thanks to that moron Kyprios. “This is the moment Babcock loses Matthews. He’s lost Matthews” lol.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
This thread wouldn't be so toxic if it wasn't for Leaf fans trying to argue that somehow 9 points in 11 games is equal to 2 points in 6 games when trying to assess playoff performance. Laine has/had a better playoffs. It's simple. It's supported by stats and facts. It's also supported by the eye test.
This thread wouldn't be toxic if people weren't acting like a 7 game sample justifies their hot takes. Matthews didn't get on the scoreboard enough that doesn't mean he's not built for the playoffs or whatever other garbage people spew.

The only way this thread isn’t toxic is if it doesn’t exist.

It was made because Matthews didn’t have a great showing, and Leaf haters gotta jump on any opportunity to hate on the Leafs.

The intention wasn’t to have an honest discussion, it was “haha, 2 points, Laine>Matthews based on these last 7 games”

Reactions: Arizonan God

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Read it with a grain of salt some people are using it to continue their crusade against Babcock. Some of our fans really don't like that Babcock doesn't just ice a team of prospects.

But teams have learned from Edmonton pushing their prospects. It doesn’t work. I’d love Laine getting Ovi minutes but I understand why he doesn’t. Yet.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Yeah, I was just on the Leafs board reading about it. I’m sure there’s a reason for the visit, but nothing that should attract any media. This is all thanks to that moron Kyprios. “This is the moment Babcock loses Matthews. He’s lost Matthews” lol.
Babcock has a family trip planned to Arizona and Denmark. He’s meeting with Andersen too, when he’s over there.

Despite the hfboards rumour of a Toronto media love affair with the Leafs, it’s probably one of the most toxic relationships any team has with it’s local reporters, outside of maybe Montreal.

“Coworkers meet up briefly outside of work” doesn’t sell ad space the way “LEARN THE LATEST DETAILS OF THE MATTHEWS BABCOCK RIFT- WHO SURVIVES?!” does.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Babcock has a family trip planned to Arizona and Denmark. He’s meeting with Andersen too, when he’s over there.

Despite the hfboards rumour of a Toronto media love affair with the Leafs, it’s probably one of the most toxic relationships any team has with it’s local reporters, outside of maybe Montreal.

“Coworkers meet up briefly outside of work” doesn’t sell ad space the way “LEARN THE LATEST DETAILS OF THE MATTHEWS BABCOCK RIFT- WHO SURVIVES?!” does.

Montreal is arguably worst than Toronto but to get the brunt of it you have to speak French.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
His thread isn’t just about playoff performance. OP is asking if their performance has changed who people think is better, with the clear implication that they should think Laine is better.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So if Matthews touched the puck and went off to the bench immediately for 4 more secondary assists where he did nothing, he would have had an equal playoff performance?

No. But points in the NHL don't happen like that. It takes actually being involved in plays 90% of the time to get points. Its not some crapshoot like your making it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad