Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
This same tired argument from last season? The two players play different positions, different roles, and were drafted for different reasons.

Would we behaving this discussion if the Leafs drafted a goalie over Laine?

Oh wow, look at all the goals and assists Laine has over their goalie - he obviously sucks and the Leafs are stupid for making that pick. Then the Leaf fans come back with GAA and SV% to point out how much better their pick is over Laine. Its a pointless.

The only way these two should be compared is if one out performs in a skill that the other should be better at.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
This same tired argument from last season? The two players play different positions, different roles, and were drafted for different reasons.

Would we behaving this discussion if the Leafs drafted a goalie over Laine?

Oh wow, look at all the goals and assists Laine has over their goalie - he obviously sucks and the Leafs are stupid for making that pick. Then the Leaf fans come back with GAA and SV% to point out how much better their pick is over Laine. Its a pointless.

The only way these two should be compared is if one out performs in a skill that the other should be better at.

Lol I hate when people make this statement, there’s nothing wrong with comparing two players.

Is the comparison beaten to death? Sure, maybe. But it’s no different than asking who is/was better- McDavid or Kucherov.

100% an okay comparison and question to wonder which player is better all-things inclusive.

People who get butt hurt “omg why can’t we just enjoy these two playerzzzz both r good” are also annoying.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Yes the goal scoring winger is struggling scoring yet none of you Jets fans will admit it. It's pitiful

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Reactions: White Out 902

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Deflecting is great

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/dissecting-the-offensive-struggles-of-laine-connor-ehlers~1387690

But he's been great haha. You played a badly injured Wild team who weren't that great to begin with and want to hang your hats on that lol.

Two games since that was filmed and zero goals for Laine. From what was known of Laine in Liiga playoffs, I was honestly hoping for an elevated game by the Young Finn. Unfortunately, instead he’s having one of his driest goal spells since entering the league. Poor timing. He’ll get there though. Hopefully if the Jets can pull off the win on Thursday, this year. If not then next.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Both players have underperformed in the playoffs. Quite disappointed actually. I was hoping for game changing abilities by both of them.

Pretty much this. Not too mention, Laine could skate backwards all game and jets would still win. The team is a few years ahead of the Leafs, with better players in every position, on average. If Leafs had of ended up with Laine, then they’re rebuild would take even longer. Pumped for game 7, sucks these two great teams have to face each other so early.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Pretty much this. Not too mention, Laine could skate backwards all game and jets would still win. The team is a few years ahead of the Leafs, with better players in every position, on average. If Leafs had of ended up with Laine, then they’re rebuild would take even longer. Pumped for game 7, sucks these two great teams have to face each other so early.

Totally. Jets could likely be in the same position with Nash, should Laine have been out of the line up. The Leafs, at this point, need Matthews to perform to be successful. Especially in the playoffs.

Reactions: Dzonna

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Toronto fans aren't the ones who care about this. We know we have the better player regardless of one playoff series. The people who constantly make this a thing are primarily Winnipeg fans, Finns and Edmonton fans who can't tolerate anyone being compared to McDavid.

That's not true and you know it.

While my contribution to this thread has been close to zero or even negative, threads like this only live because Laine lives rent free inside several Toronto fans head.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Two games since that was filmed and zero goals for Laine. From what was known of Laine in Liiga playoffs, I was honestly hoping for an elevated game by the Young Finn. Unfortunately, instead he’s having one of his driest goal spells since entering the league. Poor timing. He’ll get there though. Hopefully if the Jets can pull off the win on Thursday, this year. If not then next.

Finally someone with some sense. The kid is a good player but has his issues like every other young player.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

While my contribution to this thread has been close to zero or even negative, threads like this only live because Laine lives rent free inside several Toronto fans head.

Incorrect, we could care less. The reality is 80 percent of these threads are started by guys trying to bash Matthews and propel Laine when he has a good spell.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
No one is saying Laine is playing great. But we're saying 9pts in 11 games is a hell of a lot better than 2pts in six games.
Yep and he's had plenty of chances that haven't gone in, that went in for him often during the regular season.

He hasn't been great but he hasn't been bad either. Somewhere in the middle.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

No he really doesn't, if you attack Matthews you'll get a response but Toronto fans don't actually care about Laine comparisons because he's not a center. I mean you're free to believe what you think but Toronto fans rarely think about Laine because overwhelmingly we think we have the better player who also plays a more valuable position.

That's not a slam on Laine btw he's a good/great player and I'd be happy to have him on the Leafs but I still wouldn't trade Matthews for him and I don't know if any GM would.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Yep and he's had plenty of chances that haven't gone in, that went in for him often during the regular season.

He hasn't been great but he hasn't been bad either. Somewhere in the middle.

If this were the regular season, Laine would be in pace for about 24 goals and 74 points. Points we’ve become accustomed to, but not the goals. Would we be disappointed with a 24 goal season next year by Laine? Different is, these games matter more.

And Matthews would be on pace for about 13 goals and 26 points. Would Leafs fans be disappointed with this?

Too small of a sample size obv, but neither have showcased their true abilities this post season. And I was dreaming of a Jets/Leafs final.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Just keep defelecting like Laine’s now a great playmaker now lol. That’s not his game, he’a a goal scorer and hasn’t been scoring. You comparing him to Marner in playmaking is hilarious.
So matthews being a "200 foot" player shows up in his -5 in 7 games? No wonder he got benched.

Reactions: Snowman

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
No he really doesn't, if you attack Matthews you'll get a response but Toronto fans don't actually care about Laine comparisons because he's not a center. I mean you're free to believe what you think but Toronto fans rarely think about Laine because overwhelmingly we think we have the better player who also plays a more valuable position.

That's not a slam on Laine btw he's a good/great player and I'd be happy to have him on the Leafs but I still wouldn't trade Matthews for him and I don't know if any GM would.
Seems toronto fans are saying the opposite on HF leaf boards. Good to see what happens behind closed doors. Even cherry said matthews was a suck and needs babysitting.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Seems toronto fans are saying the opposite on HF leaf boards. Good to see what happens behind closed doors. Even cherry said matthews was a suck and needs babysitting.

In case anyone is curious this is what it looks like when someone lives in someones head. When all you talk about is a player not even on your team you might have a problem.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This thread wouldn't be so toxic if it wasn't for Leaf fans trying to argue that somehow 9 points in 11 games is equal to 2 points in 6 games when trying to assess playoff performance. Laine has/had a better playoffs. It's simple. It's supported by stats and facts. It's also supported by the eye test.

Reactions: Snowman

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
This thread wouldn't be so toxic if it wasn't for Leaf fans trying to argue that somehow 9 points in 11 games is equal to 2 points in 6 games when trying to assess playoff performance. Laine has/had a better playoffs. It's simple. It's supported by stats and facts. It's also supported by the eye test.

This thread wouldn't be toxic if people weren't acting like a 7 game sample justifies their hot takes. Matthews didn't get on the scoreboard enough that doesn't mean he's not built for the playoffs or whatever other garbage people spew.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
At least some Jets fans in here have admitted it instead of masking it, criticizing your own players isn't illegal fyi.

I've been critical of Laine this entire playoffs.

He's been slowdogging it like he was at the beginning of the season.

Look at Perrault's play yesterday. He gets back into the lineup and completely outshines Laine with his hustle. Laine is not playing to his ability.....but he's still putting up points.

For some reason your argument went off on this inane tangent where assists don't count.

He's not on the top of my shit list though. That spot is thoroughly reserved for Ehlers.

To say that his points don't count though.....that's just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad