Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 147413

Maybe because the rift story came from Matthews sub par playoffs which caused these chain of events to unfold as Kyper in his well written piece explained. Note he said it was not a major rift. But he also said trust me, there is something to it so he reported it. Now some want to pass this off as gossip, some believe where there is smoke there is fire. As Friedman followed up on by Babcock making a point to mend fences by including a player visit on his vacation. So it is worth noting in this thread as the genesis of this came from Matthews playoffs.

. As for Laine, he has a big game on Thursday. His story is still evolving. We are lucky there is a game 7, and at last count the 37 shots he has gotten on goal this series thus far, for a player of his scoring caliber. It will be interesting to see if the law of averages start to make more sense to him, than what his goal totals have shown in this series. Nashville is the best team in the NHL, so it's not like Laine and Winnipeg are playing inferior competition here.
You very often post your opinion as fact, maybe that’s the reason you spend the majority of your time on this site arguing.

You also struggle pointing out similar narratives on the opposite side of your own argument.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You very often post your opinion as fact, maybe that’s the reason you spend the majority of your time on this site arguing.

You also struggle pointing out similar narratives on the opposite side of your own argument.

I doubt Kyper would make up something to get attention. This is a guy that makes his living off of forming opinions based on sources. If you want to dismiss this. You are entitled to. But I value his viewpoint on this, and I doubt he says it, or writes an article explaining what his thought process is on this if there is not some truth to it. This has nothing to do with me, so I am not sure what your post is getting at. Disagree with Kyper's opinion or move on. Or agree and discuss. We all have this choice.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I doubt Kyper would make up something to get attention. This is a guy that makes his living off of forming opinions based on sources. If you want to dismiss this. You are entitled to. But I value his viewpoint on this, and I doubt he says it, or writes an article explaining what his thought process is on this if there is not some truth to it. This has nothing to do with me, so I am not sure what your post is getting at. Disagree with Kyper's opinion or move on. Or agree and discuss. We all have this choice.

His job is to sell papers/get page views. He's now made his opinion into a national story despite both parties saying there is nothing there. I can respect his analysis and still call into question that he's making something out of nothing to profit off of.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg

Like when he said a month before TN landed the Thrash, that Winnipeg will not get a team back because we wouldn’t be able to support it? And that Ducky was going to be the next Jets coach, right before they hired Maurice? Kypreos is the worst. He states his opinion as fact, generally.

This Matthews garbage is 100% his fault.

Last edited:

member 147413

Kypreos is a former “NHL player” (I feel like that’s a generous title for him), who is paid to speculate and discuss topics that are likely to generate interest so his employer benefits. Babcock is coach of the Maple Leafs and Matthews is the franchise player of the Maple Leafs.

After a poor playoff performance, where frustration his high, a coach will speak to his franchise player about expectations and team direction. I fail to see anything abnormal here, those are facts. Beyond that, everything is speculation and hearsay. Do you disagree?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Kypreos is a former “NHL player” (I feel like that’s a generous title for him), who is paid to speculate and discuss topics that are likely to generate interest so his employer benefits. Babcock is coach of the Maple Leafs and Matthews is the franchise player of the Maple Leafs.

After a poor playoff performance, where frustration his high, a coach will speak to his franchise player about expectations and team direction. I fail to see anything abnormal here, those are facts. Beyond that, everything is speculation and hearsay. Do you disagree?

Let's not forget Kypreos insisting it's "inevitable" that Marner gets traded because he'll never be a "go-to" guy like Hyman and Brown:

Why Kypreos believes Maple Leafs should trade Mitch Marner - Sportsnet.ca

Hyman and Brown >>> Marner, right TWS? Why would Kypreos say something outrageous if it wasn't the cold hard truth?

Reactions: FishManSam

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
His job is to sell papers/get page views. He's now made his opinion into a national story despite both parties saying there is nothing there. I can respect his analysis and still call into question that he's making something out of nothing to profit off of.

What is Friedman's angle on reporting Babcock wanting to be proactive in improving relations with Matthews then? Why would he need to improve relations if relations are good. Maybe Kyper was right? Got an answer other than he needs to sell papers...

Anyway, I already said if you do not want to believe in a guy that makes his living on his reputation of being reputable. Then that is both of your choices. Friedman believes him to retweet his tweet and to follow it up on national TV by saying what he did below.

If you are going to post another I don't believe in Friedman or Kyper post. I am just going to move on. Since the quotes are there for you to read by both insiders.

Babcock will go, or has already visited, Matthews’ home in Scottsdale, Ariz., to make sure coach and key player are on the same page before the Maple Leafs reconvene in September.

Whether Babcock was already in the southwest for other reasons (he had been at Game 1 of the Marlies-Syracuse Crunch series on Thursday) or made a special trip, he wants to be proactive about improving relations with Matthews, according to a report by Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman on Saturday night during the Hockey Night In Canada broadcast.

If there’s trouble, Auston Matthews and Mike Babcock want it solved before summer

member 147413

What is Friedman's angle on reporting Babcock wanting to be proactive in improving relations with Matthews then? Why would he need to improve relations if relations are good. Maybe Kyper was right? Got an answer other than he needs to sell papers...

Anyway, I already said if you do not want to believe in a guy that makes his living on his reputation of being reputable. Then that is both of your choices. Friedman believes him to retweet his tweet and to follow it up on national TV by saying what he did below.

If you are going to post another I don't believe in Friedman or Kyper post. I am just going to move on. Since the quotes are there for you to read by both insiders.

If there’s trouble, Auston Matthews and Mike Babcock want it solved before summer
It’s all speculation. That does not mean, I do not think there is a “rift” between them, that also does not mean I think there is a “rift” between them.

All I’m saying is you can’t state one or the other as fact, which you are trying to do.

“IF there’s trouble...”

What does “if” mean?

You seem to suggest something good cannot get better, you’re essentially saying something that needs improvement means that it is bad. Is everything bad?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Are you unfamiliar on how sports media works?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It’s all speculation. That does not mean, I do not think there is a “rift” between them, that also does not mean I think there is a “rift” between them.

All I’m saying is you can’t state one or the other as fact, which you are trying to do.

“IF there’s trouble...”

What does “if” mean?

You seem to suggest something good cannot get better, you’re essentially saying something that needs improvement means that it is bad. Is everything bad?

I'm stating my opinion based on the information that 2 good sources who work in hockey for a living are reporting. You are the one that is taking my opinions as fact. I believe what they have reported as the truth. There is is a rift small or big or to be determined between Bacock and Matthews. We shall see. But following a mediocre playoffs by Matthews, and now signs of him not being happy with his usage. Are not things you want to see with a player.

Laine had an average of 16 mins a game in the regular season for instance, he is still the consummate team player, that has accepted his role for now. And the team is 1 game away from the conference finals pending game 7. This is what you want to see in a player. No rifts with a coach, just go out and play your best with the mins you earn. Team > player. Laine BPA.

member 147413

I'm stating my opinion based on the information that 2 good sources who work in hockey for a living are reporting. You are the one that is taking my opinions as fact. I believe what they have reported as the truth. There is is a rift small or big or to be determined between Bacock and Matthews. We shall see. But following a mediocre playoffs by Matthews, and now signs of him not being happy with his usage. Are not things you want to see with a player.

Laine had an average of 16 mins a game in the regular season for instance, he is still the consummate team player, that has accepted his role for now. And the team is 1 game away from the conference finals pending game 7. This is what you want to see in a player. No rifts with a coach, just go out and play your best with the mins you earn. Team > player. Laine BPA.
I get it now, you’re their target audience.

I’ll choose to reserve my judgement and not substantiate their speculation.

Now you’re defaming Matthews’ character on a speculative rift in order to prop up Laine.

You can choose to belittle the character of a 20 year old and believe speculation and rumours.

I will choose not to.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Perhaps Laine will feel different after he's made the playoffs more than once. There was zero talk of any rifts until after game 7 had ended with Matthews and Babcock btw, so your little analogy doesn't make any sense on any level.

I'm still going to believe Matthews and Babcock about how they feel about one another instead or trusting the opinion of someone who made this whole mess out of what he thought about Matthews body language.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Now you’re defaming Matthews’ character on a speculative rift in order to prop up Laine.

You can choose to belittle the character of a 20 year old and believe speculation and rumours.

I will choose not to.

Now, now it's not to prop up Laine, Laine might as well be player x for this narrative.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I will choose not to.

Laine averaged 16:29 in the regular season. For a 44 goal scorer, this is a ridiculous low number. Matthews led the Leafs in fwds in average ice time at 18:10. I am stating facts and defaming no one. If anyone should not be happy with their ice time, if any player should be not getting a long with their coach it's Laine not Matthews.

But Laine has accepted his mins this season, he still produced 70+ pts and 44 goals. The results are the Jets are the 2nd best team in the NHL in the regular season, and 1 game away from the final 4. He realizes the team comes before individual accomplishments. And the results are quite evident with game 7 to be played.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Laine averaged 16:29 in the regular season. For a 44 goal scorer, this is a ridiculous low number. Matthews led the Leafs in fwds in average ice time at 18:10. I am stating facts and defaming no one. If anyone should not be happy with their ice time, if any player should be not getting a long with their coach it's Laine not Matthews.

But Laine has accepted his mins this season, he still produced 70+ pts and 44 goals. The results are the Jets are the 2nd best team in the NHL in the regular season, and 1 game away from the final 4. He realizes the team comes before individual accomplishments. And the results are quite evident with game 7 to be played.

That's not a fact, it's an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->