Pre-Game Talk: PLAYOFFS! at vegas tuesday thursday

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think most of the hockey analysts are giving the Jets a good shot in this round - most have commented on their recent play and how that would need to continue. I'd agree.
Helle comes up in most discussions and is one area that most give the Jets the huge advantage.
Our top six are considered a major plus and our D game is almost always mentioned as a big plus over where we have been in the past.
The unknown in almost all discussions I listened to, is compete and consistency - those are the areas we hope the last few weeks have addressed.
I'm optimistic.
I think that Minny game, got a lot of talking heads thinking Winnipeg can make a run. I heard a lot of talk about having the team toughness to grind out playoff wins. And of course every discussion ends with talk on how much Helly can be a difference maker.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think that Minny game, got a lot of talking heads thinking Winnipeg can make a run. I heard a lot of talk about having the team toughness to grind out playoff wins. And of course every discussion ends with talk on how much Helly can be a difference maker.
That Minny game was inspiring and I'm glad we came out of it without injuries - I'd have to think there are a lot of teams that do not want to play us based on the grit we can bring on top of our skill. Both of these things coming together at the right time, is a huge plus for this team.

I'll be the first to admit, I wasn't convinced we could get it together coming down the back stretch -
I guess it goes to show that you never really know (as a fan) what is going on in the heads of players -
We micro dive everything we see and then draw conclusions - mostly out of disappointment (aka emotion).

I'll give your credit for never giving up on these guys - because sometimes my thinking, as a fan, leaves me knowing exactly what is wrong with every one of them. :sarcasm:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That Minny game was inspiring and I'm glad we came out of it without injuries - I'd have to think there are a lot of teams that do not want to play us based on the grit we can bring on top of our skill. Both of these things coming together at the right time, is a huge plus for this team.

I'll be the first to admit, I wasn't convinced we could get it together coming down the back stretch -
I guess it goes to show that you never really know (as a fan) what is going on in the heads of players -
We micro dive everything we see and then draw conclusions - mostly out of disappointment (aka emotion).

I'll give your credit for never giving up on these guys - because sometimes my thinking, as a fan, leaves me knowing exactly what is wrong with every one of them. :sarcasm:
We will see how the playoffs go, but just squeaking in, doesn't really matter much when you start a 7 game series 0-0. I think as fans we can at least have hope in the talent level on this team, which is above most 8th seed teams. And we have one of the best goalies in the game, and that isn't nothing. I've always enjoyed these couple days before the playoffs start, as hope can spring eternal.

They cant seriously be doing this?? If so the league needs to step in. That is utter bullshit.
It is extremely bush league, especially for such a destination city.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
They cant seriously be doing this?? If so the league needs to step in. That is utter bullshit.

It was utter BS. Happened in the Western Conference final back in 2018. The Golden Showers wouldn't turn the lights when the Jets were practicing, wouldn't allow Jets fans to bring in the Canadian flag nor wear Jets jerseys, etc.

But because F*** Vegas was the new gleam in Bettman's eye, the NHL didn't do anything about it.

The discussion was if what if they did it again.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
K, you be you. :laugh:

Obviously though, I'm hoping our Jets pull it off and trounce the hated Vegas team. :thumbu:

If I had a sports betting podcast, and you subscribed with it, I'd be calling for you to bet on the Jets as the "Lock of the week". Like, slamming down the comically oversized iron lock, Simpsons style. +240 breaks even at 29.4% and there's no way on God's green earth we're only 29.4% to win this series.

EDIT: I actually wouldn't do this :P I turned down an offer to be a 'professor' type character on a sports tout show because I wasn't comfortable making these kind of declarations. :P

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Embarrassing is a bit harsh, i would have Barron up in Wheeler's spot but i don't mind that group of 12 , especially since Bowness moved Scheifele to the wing on the top line.
I like Barron in Wheelers spot as well, or maybe Appletons spot, if either one of them struggles, or if Wheeler is having a hard time keeping up with the play. Even if Wheeler is a bit slower, he still a good setup man, so you have to see how things go.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Re: F*** Vegas not allowing Jets gear in the stadium

Have the Jets logo painted on your chest. Take your shirt off once inside.

They can't confiscate your skin!

No, but as I found out during my short-lived yet lucrative career as a 'reverse stripper', there are decency laws at play for men of my 'stature'

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If I had a sports betting podcast, and you subscribed with it, I'd be calling for you to bet on the Jets as the "Lock of the week". Like, slamming down the comically oversized iron lock, Simpsons style. +240 breaks even at 29.4% and there's no way on God's green earth we're only 29.4% to win this series.

EDIT: I actually wouldn't do this :P I turned down an offer to be a 'professor' type character on a sports tout show because I wasn't comfortable making these kind of declarations. :P
Hopefully Vegas loses ..........and goes broke then.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I was out at the lake last week, so I listened to a lot of satellite radio, specifically the NHL network. I was pleasantly surprised at how much love the were giving the Jets. Much different vibe than around here. Most of the talking heads had the Jets as a very tough out with a dark horse chance to make an extended run. The focus was their strong play and winning must win games over the last 2 weeks.

Sounds like exactly the vibe from around here?

Reactions: hn777

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I know the Jets played better the last couple weeks, but 2 weeks doesn't erase 2 months of futility IMO. Any given Sunday and all that, but I am surprised at how many people seem to be favouring the Jets over the #1 team in the west. Reminds me of the talk before the Ducks series. And we all know how that turned out.
Blind faith! Something I have difficulty buying into.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
It was utter BS. Happened in the Western Conference final back in 2018. The Golden Showers wouldn't turn the lights when the Jets were practicing, wouldn't allow Jets fans to bring in the Canadian flag nor wear Jets jerseys, etc.

But because F*** Vegas was the new gleam in Bettman's eye, the NHL didn't do anything about it.

The discussion was if what if they did it again.
Is the no jersey rule still in effect?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Blind faith! Something I have difficulty buying into.
I don't think it's blind faith, i just don't see the point in saying we are crap and have no chance in winning. Lots of people said there was no way we were making the playoffs and we did. Once we are out of the playoffs there will be lots of time to slice and dice the team, or even after we win the Cup.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think it's blind faith, i just don't see the point in saying we are crap and have no chance in winning. Lots of people said there was no way we were making the playoffs and we did. Once we are out of the playoffs there will be lots of time to slice and dice the team, or even after we win the Cup.
There are lots of pundits out there pumping the Jets tires. For the most part they are seen as a team much better than their record. I’ve read a few articles talking about LV being unlucky to draw this strong of a #8 seed.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
There are lots of pundits out there pumping the Jets tires. For the most part they are seen as a team much better than their record. I’ve read a few articles talking about LV being unlucky to draw this strong of a #8 seed.
Craig Button says the Jets are winning this series. :nod: But i think Button wants to be the Jets next GM .:laugh: This team has the talent to do some damage especially if we keep playing like we have since Bowness moved the lines around.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Honestly I’m pretty negative about the Jets and I picked Vegas to win in five in my pool, but with Hellebuyck in net anything is possible. Split the first two in Vegas and we’re in good shape.

Famous last words, but I’ll take playing Brossoit.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
We will see how the playoffs go, but just squeaking in, doesn't really matter much when you start a 7 game series 0-0. I think as fans we can at least have hope in the talent level on this team, which is above most 8th seed teams. And we have one of the best goalies in the game, and that isn't nothing. I've always enjoyed these couple days before the playoffs start, as hope can spring eternal.

It is extremely bush league, especially for such a destination city.
Didn't the Kings in 2012 sneak into the playoffs #8 seed over the Flames and win the Stanley Cup?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
That’s kind of my take on things. I’m would have rather not squeak into the playoffs and had an opportunity to have home ice, but the Jets aren’t your typical 8th seed. As you point out, Helle is an absolute game changer and while the Jets had a horrendous 20 game stretch, they were near the top of the conference for 50-55 games and finished the season looking strong and playing a structured team game.

They’re in a pretty good spot imo. If they bring their A game, they’re trouble for most.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Honestly I’m pretty negative about the Jets and I picked Vegas to win in five in my pool, but with Hellebuyck in net anything is possible. Split the first two in Vegas and we’re in good shape.

Famous last words, but I’ll take playing Brossoit.

Last time there was a lot of hype around the 8th seeded Jets maybe upsetting the top seed in the West, they were swept in 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad