Playoff Watch WC2: COL & MIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think the Wild's schedule is deceivingly hard, which I hope causes them to struggle. Bad teams are still good enough to win on any given night and the Wild haven't exactly shined against bad teams. I also like the Avs playing good teams, if they're going to make the playoffs then they have to be playing good hockey to get there.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Can't expect many favors. Minny and us need to, and will be, beating teams higher in the standings the rest of the way. That's just how it works when two teams are fighting for the last remaining playoff spot, they're going to elevate their games and claw out every point. At this stage, I'm simply banking on the Wild winning every single game except against us. The boys need to think that way, too. Every game must be a guaranteed win so that the game against Minnesota is for all the marbles. No favors incoming.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
We would be on a 8 games winning streak right now had we not blown those two games against the Preds and Jets...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Roy has said as recently as January that the season opener against the Wild really affected this team. In my head I've been thinking my god get over it but man would that ever be helpful for us right now. Plus, who knows how the next few games may have gone with some positive morale.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So much for Roy doesn't keep secrets and since he became the coach they are up front about everything. This team has been more secretive than ever, i mean it's been days and still no update on Duchene and MacKinnon? come on, CIA doesn't keep secrets like this team does.

When Seguin went down i think the news came right after the game on how long he'd be out. This is getting really ridiculous

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Roy has said as recently as January that the season opener against the Wild really affected this team. In my head I've been thinking my god get over it but man would that ever be helpful for us right now. Plus, who knows how the next few games may have gone with some positive morale.

I think that was obvious. It was an epic meltdown and this team isn't real strong mentally.

I really hope the NHL doesn't match us up with Minny to start next year again...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think that was obvious. It was an epic meltdown and this team isn't real strong mentally.

I really hope the NHL doesn't match us up with Minny to start next year again...

Well that depends. A big win against them Saturday and a playoff spot would probably turn the intimidation of the Minny/Colorado rivalry around. Minnesota might get it in their heads that they cant beat the Avs. Plus I anticipate Minny to be worse next year and every year after.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So much for Roy doesn't keep secrets and since he became the coach they are up front about everything. This team has been more secretive than ever, i mean it's been days and still no update on Duchene and MacKinnon? come on, CIA doesn't keep secrets like this team does.

When Seguin went down i think the news came right after the game on how long he'd be out. This is getting really ridiculous

Nobody has been covering the team and they had days off, why would there be an update? Plus MacKinnon didn't have his MRI until yesterday.

It would be nice to start the season like normal for once, maybe that would help the "slow start" too.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Nobody has been covering the team and they had days off, why would there be an update? Plus MacKinnon didn't have his MRI until yesterday.

It would be nice to start the season like normal for once, maybe that would help the "slow start" too.

Pretty much every team in the league except the Avs give updates within a day or two the most on their injured players. This team likes to be unique and do things differently their own way and i'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish with being unique.

I get that MRI on MacKinnon was done yesterday and the only update we get from Dater is that it might not be serious, and nothing at all on Duchene who went down before MacKinnon. I just don't get this team and the way they do things, trying to be different than the rest of the league.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Pretty much every team in the league except the Avs give updates within a day or two the most on their injured players. This team likes to be unique and do things differently their own way and i'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish with being unique.

I get that MRI on MacKinnon was done yesterday and the only update we get from Dater is that it might not be serious, and nothing at all on Duchene who went down before MacKinnon. I just don't get this team and the way they do things, trying to be different than the rest of the league.

Blame it on not having media more than them being cagey. There was just a measure put out there that the Avs were the least secretive about injuries, only one this year (EJ) did they never specify and they give timelines on them all. This isn't one of the things where we can label it just being the crackpot Avs, there are many, but not this. If we had reporters who gave two craps and did their job it might be different.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Blame it on not having media more than them being cagey. There was just a measure put out there that the Avs were the least secretive about injuries, only one this year (EJ) did they never specify and they give timelines on them all. This isn't one of the things where we can label it just being the crackpot Avs, there are many, but not this. If we had reporters who gave two craps and did their job it might be different.

Maybe the team just don't want to give out updates right now being this late in the season and fighting for the playoffs because usually in the playoffs teams don't update injuries so this is pretty much playoffs for the Avs

Edit: It would be nice to know a little bit more about what's going on with 2 of their best players though

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Maybe the team just don't want to give out updates right now being this late in the season and fighting for the playoffs because usually in the playoffs teams don't update injuries so this is pretty much playoffs for the Avs

Edit: It would be nice to know a little bit more about what's going on with 2 of their best players though

I am sure we will be given some sort of update after practice today. The Avs haven't really said anything about anyone since right after the game on Sunday.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Ok so it's week to week for both Duchene and MacKinnon, something tells me they'll miss more than the next 2 games. Usually when they say day to day it takes a week or more, week to week could mean the rest of the season.

Looking at the schedule, I just don't see anyway this team making the playoffs without their 2 best forwards. It really sucks because they could make it without those injuries

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I honestly think anyone who thinks there's any type of possibility of us or Minny catching Nashville is completely out to lunch.

Even if we go undefeated from here on out I don't think we catch Nashville and that includes them losing 2 games to us. Plus we're not going undefeated.

I said it a little while ago but I fully expect Nashville to overtake Chicago. They're only 4 points back, each team has 9 games left. The Hawks have looked like crap for a while now and the Predators have been arguably the best team in the league since February. Just imagine the outcry from the two organizations if we get a Los Angeles vs Chicago 1st round series. You KNOW the NHL would want to make changes to the playoff format if that happens.

I do. I'm a believer in having to beat your nemesis to grow. There was a point for two years after Crosby got drafted that the Senators and Penguins had a little bit of a rivalry, and the Sens squashed them in the playoffs in 07. Penguins came right back at them in 08 and hammered them. Same goes for the Canucks, routinely getting beaten by the Hawks until finally in 2011 they beat Chicago in 7 games. Not that we're going to make a cup run if we beat Minnesota, but it would do a lot for the players mentally if they could get past the Wild on a consistent basis, and that starts with this Saturday.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I do. I'm a believer in having to beat your nemesis to grow. There was a point for two years after Crosby got drafted that the Senators and Penguins had a little bit of a rivalry, and the Sens squashed them in the playoffs in 07. Penguins came right back at them in 08 and hammered them. Same goes for the Canucks, routinely getting beaten by the Hawks until finally in 2011 they beat Chicago in 7 games. Not that we're going to make a cup run if we beat Minnesota, but it would do a lot for the players mentally if they could get past the Wild on a consistent basis, and that starts with this Saturday.

I get that idea... I just don't want it to be the first game of the season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We should just thump them 'em on Saturday despite not having MacK or Matty. That would throw a new spin on the psychology of the rivalry.

Bench Duchene and MacKinnon vs Minnesota forever if we thump em. Don't even invite them to the 50th year anniversary game vs Minnesota.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I said it a little while ago but I fully expect Nashville to overtake Chicago. They're only 4 points back, each team has 9 games left. The Hawks have looked like crap for a while now and the Predators have been arguably the best team in the league since February. Just imagine the outcry from the two organizations if we get a Los Angeles vs Chicago 1st round series. You KNOW the NHL would want to make changes to the playoff format if that happens.

Have you watched a lot of Pred games?
I completely dissagree that they have been the best team in the league since Feb.
They remain very inconsistent and suspect. I dont think of them as power houses as you do, not a Caps or LA for sure. But thats just my perspective, I think I saw them loses two or three games where they just did not play well... and that could be any team.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

I just want an opening night sellout. It seems like fewer fans show up each game against the Wild as if they're expecting the team to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad