Playoff Watch WC2: COL & MIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Avs aren't my team but I'm really pulling for you guys. I've always liked Colorado and I'd love to see you make some noise in the playoffs :yo:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The Wild shouldn't just be a bubble team. They were expected to take a step and finally secure one of the division spot now they are fighting with the Avs and might not crack 90 points, so their vibe is a lot different. Their core isn't getting any younger, their time is much more now than it is for us.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Wild shouldn't just be a bubble team. They were expected to take a step and finally secure one of the division spot now they are fighting with the Avs and might not crack 90 points, so their vibe is a lot different. Their core isn't getting any younger, their time is much more now than it is for us.

Some people expected them to take that step, but I didn't; not without a blockbuster trade or two (or three). The top end talent just isn't there; compare them to the Blues, Ducks, and Preds...nevermind the Hawks or Kings. They just don't have the horses to take another step, and the young talent that they do have is just negating the decline of their vets.

Coyle, Nino and Haula are good young forwards, but they're not changing the top-end-talent equation. They're just making up for the decline in Vanek/Koivu/Pomminville/etc. Ditto the defense; Dumba's having a good year (along the lines of what I'm expecting Zads to put up in his second full NHL season as an av), Scandella's become what Roy wishes Holden could be, and Spurgeon's solidified himself as a Suter-partner, but Brodin's stagnated, Suter's entering decline, Rielly's struggling mightily, and the other young dmen in their pipeline have shown not to be ready yet.

They have different problems than we do because of that old n expensive core, but their team is on a par with ours. They have more depth and a better defense, while we have more dynamic talent and the better goalies...and we'd closed that depth gap at forward with our TDL moves before Dutchy & MacK got hurt.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Until the Wild get a true #1C, they are not going anywhere. Hell, I wouldn't even say they have a good starting goalie, but I know some will disagree with that. They are an average team without any top end talent except for Suter.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Until the Wild get a true #1C, they are not going anywhere. Hell, I wouldn't even say they have a good starting goalie, but I know some will disagree with that. They are an average team without any top end talent except for Suter.

I've never thought of Dubnyk as a good starting goalie. The only reason Minnesota made the playoffs last season is because he went on this insane run ala Andrew Hammond and they were still one of the wild card teams. This season, no such run.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

There are some major rumours that the lockerroom is very divided (between the old and young guys). Talent wise, IMO, they have enough to be 3rd in the division, but as we know how important the chemistry and mental games are, Wild are desperately struggling in this department. And IMO, one of the main reasons why they haven't performed up to their team on paper. I mean Yeo got fired, but you have one of your leaders going to the public saying that he wants to play with a "certain" partner. That tells you the dressing room has issues.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
I understand comparing the Avs and the Wild, but for all intensive purposes they are our Daddy. We simply cannot beat them, but boy would the game on Saturday be a good time to start

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
I don't think Nashville's that catchable anyway to be honest. I mean to do so we'd likely have to win like 7 or 8 of the final nine and if we did do that, we'd probably pull so far above Minnesota that we'd make it anyway(unless they went on an insane run too).

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I hate to say this but I almost want them to miss out by like a point just so they know not to F around to start the year. And not give away points to teams they should be beating.

We should not be in this situation right now with Minny.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think Nashville's that catchable anyway to be honest. I mean to do so we'd likely have to win like 7 or 8 of the final nine and if we did do that, we'd probably pull so far above Minnesota that we'd make it anyway(unless they went on an insane run too).

If we beat them twice in regulation that's 4 points made up right there. Then there's only one point difference. But that's really the only way. No, it's not likely just by chipping away at the standings.

I hate to say this but I almost want them to miss out by like a point just so they know not to F around to start the year. And not give away points to teams they should be beating.

We should not be in this situation right now with Minny.

I don't really agree. There is no way they can have a fast start just by wanting it. They've talked about a fast start every damn year and it becomes a distraction. How about just a normal start? Or not turning over 1/3 of the roster and getting guys used to each other? Or having a clue what roles the kids can handle and should be in? Those things would help have a better start. Plus I really don't want to find out exactly how real those overreaction blow up the core threats are.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yeah but thats what everyone is going to say if they do miss it. They will point to their poor start and bad losses. They dont have to go 12-0 to start but they need to be a whole lot better than they have been the last couple of years.
It feels like if they make it in after all that they will just think they can take it easy till Nov and or Dec.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm happy the Kings lost big to Nashville tonight. Hopefully that'll motivate them to beat Minny tomorrow.

Frigging Minny with the easiest schedule ever, and now they get Chicago in the midst of a slump, and LA on the second night of a back to back.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
After the last two years, I would be happy with a .500 October. Of course, if in 7.5 months that has come to pass, I am sure you will be able to find me on here whinging about not being better :).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah but thats what everyone is going to say if they do miss it. They will point to their poor start and bad losses. They dont have to go 12-0 to start but they need to be a whole lot better than they have been the last couple of years.
It feels like if they make it in after all that they will just think they can take it easy till Nov and or Dec.

You really think they think it's ok to take it easy and roster stability wouldn't make a huge difference? The Blackhawks think it's ok to take it easy for a bit, I don't think because they might scrape to 90 points again that they've got it figured out.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
Glad LA got beat tonight and Quick got pulled. He's usually lights out if they go back to him tomorrow. Kings will need to win tomorrow to keep a strong hold on the Pacific lead.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Just get into the playoffs and compete hard in the first round. That's all the team needs to do this year. Yeah it'd be nice if they weren't in a precarious spot, but the bottom line is they still have a chance to qualify for the playoffs. That's about where they should be in this stage in their development, if we can accept two seasons ago as an outlier.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Frigging Minny with the easiest schedule ever, and now they get Chicago in the midst of a slump, and LA on the second night of a back to back.

This is actually the hard part of their remaining schedule too.

Avs 9 remaining games:... all 9 in playoffs/playoff contention

vs Philly, vs Minny, at NSH, at STL, vs WSH, vs STL, at NSH, at DAL, vs ANA

Remaining opponents record: 362-200-90 (63 winning percent)

Wild 9 remaining games:... 4 games vs bottom dwellers

vs LA, vs CGY, at Avs, vs CHI, vs OTT, at DET, at WIN, vs SJ, vs CGY

Remaining opponents record: 326-268-59 (54 winning percent)

If Avs are going to get it, they're going to have to earn it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Wild do play Calgary twice... Calgary has played decent of late and I'm sure Hartley would like to do his buddy a favor.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I honestly think anyone who thinks there's any type of possibility of us or Minny catching Nashville is completely out to lunch.

Even if we go undefeated from here on out I don't think we catch Nashville and that includes them losing 2 games to us. Plus we're not going undefeated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad