Playoff Watch WC2: COL & MIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshack

Apr 27, 2014
Even if they win, look at the teams they play to end the season compared to Minny. They absolutely have to win the next game, and they're going to need to play some unreal hockey to close out the season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If we win tomorrow despite not having Matt or MacK, the wild might start turning on one another again; especially if we can do so in dramatic or impressive fashion. Priming them for a crap showing against a bad team to send them spiraling once again.

...just sayin' hockey gods, if you're listening...

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Mini wins we still are not out.. strange but true with a game in hand.. trust me mini is going to lose some of its "easy" games...
BUT
I do think Avs need to win for their self esteem..
How nice to win again?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Mini wins we still are not out.. strange but true with a game in hand.. trust me mini is going to lose some of its "easy" games...
BUT
I do think Avs need to win for their self esteem..
How nice to win again?

If we lose we are 5 points behind with a vastly tougher schedule and only 7 games left. You can argue technicalities if you wish, but for all intents and purposes, we lose tomorrow, we are done. We would need to win two of our remaining games outright, and a third game in OT or SO, just to tie Minny. That's assuming they don't win during the two games they would play to match that. THEN, in the other four games for each team, we would have to match whatever they put up? We would need Minny to go on a losing streak so we could catch up, and then struggle in the other four games against easy teams. Lets be realistic here.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Minnie is on the upswing and we are...not. Considering the games remaining and SOS you might as well expect a low lottery pick and let the Avs attempt to produce a pleasant surprise. It's the most we can ask for given the circumstances.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
The odds are VERY high that Minny plunges the dagger in the Avs back today, gives it several twists, and ends the Avs playoff hopes once-and-for-all.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
and this is not the last game of the year...
We need to shut down Parise... he was on fire last game thursday night...
ok now where is the GDT..

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'm repeating myself here but no we don't. Winning in OT or shootout puts us 2 points behind with one game in hand and we have the first tiebreaker. Regulation would be better though I agree.

We have tougher schedule down the road. Not to mention we are missing MacK and Duchene. We need to win this in regulation.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
We have tougher schedule down the road. Not to mention we are missing MacK and Duchene. We need to win this in regulation.
Its a weird time for which schedule is worse as some teams stop playing hard and tough and essential glade into the Post ..
I dont see the last games are especially hard given our record against the better teams.. I understand what you are saying though

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The way you were talking it sounded like you meant mathematically so I was just showing we don't need to. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I got caught in the playoff race frenzy like everyone else but I'm falling back to Earth now. The truth is, we had no business making the playoffs with the way this team played all season. The team isn't improving and making the playoffs could have sent the wrong message. Now at least it's clear not only on the ice but also on paper that we are going nowhere and we need another direction.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I got caught in the playoff race frenzy like everyone else but I'm falling back to Earth now. The truth is, we had no business making the playoffs with the way this team played all season. The team isn't improving and making the playoffs could have sent the wrong message. Now at least it's clear not only on the ice but also on paper that we are going nowhere and we need another direction.

I disagree, insofar as I am quite optimistic about the potential in the organization right now. The current balance in the team, and organization in general, is much better than it has been in years. The trick will be realizing their potential before Duchene and Johnson start to decline.

I have, however, also given up hope that they will make the playoffs this year. At this point, if they manage to scrape into the postseason there will be no debating that they deserve to be there.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I disagree, insofar as I am quite optimistic about the potential in the organization right now. The current balance in the team, and organization in general, is much better than it has been in years. The trick will be realizing their potential before Duchene and Johnson start to decline.

I have, however, also given up hope that they will make the playoffs this year. At this point, if they manage to scrape into the postseason there will be no debating that they deserve to be there.

It's been better overall in depth, but I think a lot of people are questioning this teams peak.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
It's been better overall in depth, but I think a lot of people are questioning this teams peak.

And I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just much less worried about the team's future than I was two years ago. I think in that regard we are trending upwards, and I think that that was always Sakic and Roy's endgame once they began their retooling post-Pracey. I know that they have cited the organizational structure of Tampa multiple times as a model but it seems to me that the team is heading more the way of St. Louis, depth-wise, and I have no problem with that.

I don't always agree with Roy's decisions as coach, but it's hard to argue with how he's brought Grigo along, or how he's turned Holden into a guy that will likely stick around in the NHL after he (hopefully soon) leaves the organization.

ETA: In short, I think we're closer to being a consistent playoff team than we have been in a decade.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
And I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just much less worried about the team's future than I was two years ago.

How so? Back then Roy was coach of the year, MacKinnon was a future superstar (sure thing), Duchene was a season away from becoming a PPG guy, Landy and ROR were so young and going to get significantly better...on D we had up-and-coming Barrie along with a proven #1D in EJ.

Now Mack has question marks, ROR is gone and both Landy and Duchene didn't improve. EJ looks more like a #2 than a #1. Out of the core, only Barrie lived up to the expectations.

Also, the team as a whole has the exact same weaknesses that it had 2 years ago so not only our players didn't get as good as expected, but there was no improvement as a team either.

Sure there's Rantanen and Bigras now but the pipeline is still empty after that. We even wasted another #1 pick (Bleackley) so we can add him to Hishon and Siemens to the failure folder.

I'd not say the future looks brighter now than it was back then. Far, far from that actually.

Last edited:

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
How so? Back then Roy was coach of the year, MacKinnon was a future superstar (sure thing), Duchene was a season away from becoming a PPG guy, Landy and ROR were so young and going to get significantly better...on D we had up-and-coming Barrie along with a proven #1D in EJ.

Now Mack has question marks, ROR is gone and both Landy and Duchene didn't improve. EJ looks more like a #2 than a #1. Out of the core, only Barrie lived up to the expectations.

Also, the team as a whole has the exact same weaknesses that it had 2 years ago so not only our players didn't get as good as expected, but there was no improvement as a team either.

Sure there's Rantanen and Bigras now but the pipeline is still empty after that. We even wasted another #1 pick (Bleackley) so we can add him to Hishon and Siemens to the failure folder.

I'd not say the future looks brighter now than it was back then. Far, far from that actually.

Mack always had question marks, Landy and Duchene have become more consistent and play to their strengths better than they used to. ROR has been replaced by Grigo who has infinitely more offensive upside that ROR and is impressive defensively at only 21. EJ is exactly what he has always been, if you consider that a #1 or #2 that's up to you, but he's still as good as he always was. The difference now is that we have Bigras, Zadorov, and Barrie who are all looking like capable top-4 guys in the next couple of years, a depth of support that EJ hasn't had since he was acquired. We have a more than capable back-up so if Varly goes down the team doesn't go into autoloss mode.

For once, we have youngsters that are being kept down in the AHL to develop because we aren't in desperate need of them in the NHL lineup. We may not have a cupboard overflowing with blue-chip prospects yet, but we also aren't rushing talent into the NHL either.

With the re-shuffling of organizational depth with the ROR trade I think the roster is much better placed to be built upon moving forward, as opposed to having 5 forwards and 1 D that people consider the core, we still have 4-5 forwards, and 4 D IMO. If Boedker stays you can add another forward to that list (and we haven't even touched on Compher).

If you can't get excited about this team's potential I feel for you, but I can't say that I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad