Playoff Watch WC2: COL & MIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
As we near the end of the season, it has become a two team race for that second wild card slot in the West. This thread will serve as a tracker for the remainder of the season. (Nashville will be added if they suffer a collapse :naughty:)

As of: April 1, 2016

:avs COL: GR: 5 Pts: 82 ROW: 35

:wild MIN: GR: 4 Pts: 87 ROW: 35

Remaining Schedule

3/9 ANA (0) @ COL (3) :)
3/10 EDM (2) @ MIN (1) :)
3/12 COL (2) @ WPG (3) ; MIN (4) @ MON (1) :rant:
3/15 MIN (2) @ OTT (3) OT :groucho:
3/16 COL (3) @ VAN (1) :)
3/17 MIN (4) @ NJD (7) :)
3/18 COL (4) SO @ CAL (3) :)
3/19 CAR (2) @ MIN (3) SO :(
3/20 COL (3) @ EDM (2) ; MIN (3) SO @ CHI (2) :dunno:
3/22 LAK (1) @ MIN (2) :rant:
3/24 PHI (4) @ COL (2) ; CAL (2) @ MIN (6) :(
3/26 MIN (4) @ COL (0) :(
3/28 COL (4) @ NAS (3) :phew:
3/29 COL (1) @ STL (3) ; CHI (1) @ MIN (4) :(
3/31 OTT (3) @ MIN (2) :)
4/1 WAS (4) @ COL (2) ; MIN (2) @ DET (3) :(
4/3 STL @ COL ; MIN @ WPG
4/5 COL @ NAS ; SJS @ MIN
4/7 COL @ DAL
4/9 ANA @ COL ; CAL @ MIN​

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If the Avs can win against Anaheim, I'll feel pretty good about the chances.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We have two more against them. Our April looks a bit like hell. We need the Wild to falter and we need to play an amazing stretch the rest of the way.

I meant tomorrow. After that the Avs should have a run of very winnable games followed by a head-to-head matchup. Getting a win against Anaheim, then getting 8 points out of the following 5 games would put the Avs at 82 with the matchup against Minny looming. I think Minny will be around 80-82 at that point, and the Avs will then have a game in hand there (Minny plays 8 games before the Avs matchup, Avs have 6).

The Avs actually need to show up on the Western Canada run though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Who knows what some of those teams will have to play for the last week of the season. The game vs the Wild is really the critical one. It basically is a true must win unless we can build up some cushion by then, which is unlikely.

14 games left, I think we need to win 9 and hit 90 points but ultimately it's being one game better than the Wild. So that could happen at 85 or 95 points.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Didn't the Western Canada trip last season end any chance we had? We were never truly "in it", but we were making a slight push and then the Western Canada swing with losses in Calgary and Edmonton, followed by a loss to Edmonton at home the following week kind of put the stamp on things officially. Ironically enough we played Anaheim the game prior to the Western Canada swing, losing 3-2 in overtime

Let's hope things are different this time around.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Didn't the Western Canada trip last season end any chance we had? We were never truly "in it", but we were making a slight push and then the Western Canada swing with losses in Calgary and Edmonton, followed by a loss to Edmonton at home the following week kind of put the stamp on things officially. Ironically enough we played Anaheim the game prior to the Western Canada swing, losing 3-2 in overtime

Let's hope things are different this time around.

I also think this is gonna be key. They'll play a bunch of teams who are no longer contending for anything. With the tough schedule coming up after that trip they'll need to win at least 3 out of 4 games on the trip in order to gain confidence and be ready to compete against the Washingtons, Dallas', St Louis' and so on.

If they miss the playoffs because of the tough stretch at the end of the season I'll definitely be disappointed but I'll be furious if they throw it away in Western Canada.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Aren't WPG, CGY, and EDM pretty much on tank runs? VAN is probably the only team that doesn't want to loose at this point in the season.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Aren't WPG, CGY, and EDM pretty much on tank runs? VAN is probably the only team that doesn't want to loose at this point in the season.

While management of many teams may hope to finish lower for a better lottery shot players and coaches simply don't have that mindset. Jobs and paychecks are on the line and more than anything most of these players want to play hockey. Sure Chia and Oilers management would love to add Matthews to the roster but do you think guys like Connor McDavid are going to not give it their all to increase the chances of them getting a better kid this summer?

Trades and personnel decisions can make a team worse and a losing morale can affect a player but overall an NHL player is going to do everything he can to pad his stats night in and night out.

Calgary ripped 48 shots at Martin Jones last night.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
On second glance the schedule for both Avs and Wild are pretty much the same as far as difficulty until like the last 5 games or so then it's harder for the Avs

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Our last 8 games of the year though...... Hopefully all the spots above us are decided by then.

Yes, teams like Washington should be resting key players and won't be too motivated to face a bubble team to finish the season. Like I said in the other thread, facing top teams at the end of the season isn't that bad of a thing. I'm more afraid of the western Canada trip.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I actually don't worry too much about the final games. Those teams will be resting up, and the Avs will likely be in must-win mode the whole time. They should want it more. Combine that with the Avs actually doing well against the better teams in the league and I think they will come out okay towards the end.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm scared as hell of the Western road trip because Winnipeg, from the games I've watched recently, is playing like they're actually in the Wildcard mix intensity-wise. Calgary as Kento pointed out gave SJ all they could handle and then some yesterday. The Oilers are the Oilers and are Varly's kryptonite, and that team is still playing very hard. Plus they'll likely have Nugent-Hopkins back for that game.

Winning tomorrow vs Anaheim is key, but this Western Canada road trip scares the living hell out of me.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I'm scared as hell of the Western road trip because Winnipeg, from the games I've watched recently, is playing like they're actually in the Wildcard mix intensity-wise. Calgary as Kento pointed out gave SJ all they could handle and then some yesterday. The Oilers are the Oilers and are Varly's kryptonite, and that team is still playing very hard. Plus they'll likely have Nugent-Hopkins back for that game.

Winning tomorrow vs Anaheim is key, but this Western Canada road trip scares the living hell out of me.

For real. Over the last couple years we've just been so bad in Western Canada. Lets hope this is the season that turns around.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
How confident is everyone? I feel like the Avs will get in but my brain keeps telling me no way because it just seems that the Wild will keep winning and knock us out. I won't be able to handle that.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
How confident is everyone? I feel like the Avs will get in but my brain keeps telling me no way because it just seems that the Wild will keep winning and knock us out. I won't be able to handle that.

If I had to bet I'd say no but its going to be close, real close. Beating them on the 26th is an absolute must though. And like everyone said they have to do well on this road trip too.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I have my doubts. Minnie is a way, way better team than they've been looking like most of the year and very capable of dominating everybody in their way to make the playoffs. It's less to do with the caliber of the Avs than the fact that Nashville and Minnie have been underperforming for a long time and are due to return to form. Those losses to Toronto, Buffalo and Columbus are going to loom big at game 82.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I have my doubts. Minnie is a way, way better team than they've been looking like most of the year and very capable of dominating everybody in their way to make the playoffs. It's less to do with the caliber of the Avs than the fact that Nashville and Minnie have been underperforming for a long time and are due to return to form. Those losses to Toronto, Buffalo and Columbus are going to loom big at game 82.

I don't agree with this statement. They're a good team but I think if they get into the playoffs, they'll come exactly as advertised: A Wildcard team. I don't think they'll do damage in the playoffs, and I think that they are where they should be. The same way we are where we should be.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
That Minny game on the 26th is at dinnertime for me on a Saturday night . :laugh: It's like all the hockey gods are playing with me : "we know you hate the Wild; season on the line; it's them or you; be there, be square" :laugh: It's somewhat like a repetitive video playing over and over in my mind. :laugh:

I'll try getting up tomorrow morning for the Ducks game. But that's a scary one :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad