Playoff Race/Standings

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I would have never thought that would have happened in year two of there rebuild

Tampa Bay went to the SCF followed by an ECF
Toronto has missed play offs for a few years and we're in the bottom 3 last year....

Toronto is ahead of Tampa :laugh: this shouldn't be a thing but it is cause Tampa is hot garbage this year :help:

Toronto is a solid team tho, those kids are really stepping up for them. I still think their young and inexperienced tho but in a few years they will be really good.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
The Toronto Maple Leafs are now ahead of us in the standings.... god help us

raining_david_tennant.gif

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
For the division spots:
Montreal is 10 points ahead of us with a game in hand, so that's not happening.
Ottawa is 4 points ahead of us with 2 games in hand.
Boston is 2 points ahead of us with a game in hand.

Not in good shape for a division spot. I know it's not a lot of points to make up, but this team can't string two wins together.

For the Wild Card spots:
Washington is 9 points ahead with 2 games in hand.
Philly is 4 points ahead, even in games.
Toronto is tied with us, 2 games in hand.
Florida is 2 points behind us with a game in hand.
Carolina is 3 points behind us with 2 games in hand.
Detroit is 5 points behind with 2 games in hand.
Isles are 6 points back with 3 games in hand.

Based on what I've seen from the team this year, I have little faith we are better than any of those teams.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I said literally two pages ago that Toronto, at least right now, is the better team, and that idea was scoffed at.

Well, here's a scary thought - if Toronto is already better now, then don't even think about 2-3 years from now. The Lightning will have their long-term future compromised as long as Cooper remains the head coach.

Because here's another scary thought - what kind of up-and-coming team keeps getting WORSE from year told year? Because that is exactly what's happening.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Has our window for a cup closed until a retoolor rebuild?

I don't think our window is closed but its not as open as it was in 2015 and 2016. This year is a big hiccup tho since its one of the years which was cap friendly for us and under control. Now we have big contracts starting and cant afford to keep everyone

The core is still Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Drouin. Goalie wise its hard to say Bishop has been the rock for years now but struggled this season (most likely because of contract issues and not knowing if he was out the door or not) Vasi has shown potential but is still so young. No every young goalie is gonna be a stud off the bat, they take years to develop.

It sucks but this year will sum up to be a mulligan. Injuries hurt, but aren't an excuse. Coaching wasn't great either. Still half a season left but its not looking bright. Other teams are on the up while Tampa is slumping hard.

Our flawed D has been exposed this year as well since goaltending hasn't been as strong as it usually is. We def need a top 3/4 D man ASAP

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Has our window for a cup closed until a retoolor rebuild?

No, this year is still salvageable and if we can get things going we're a huge threat, big if.

After this year, we lose a ton of flexibility where you can't afford to make the wrong moves or lose the wrong player due to upcoming contracts, Yzerman will have his work cut out for him. That Callahan and Coburn resigning looking brutal right now thugh. Coburn playing like a 1.5m d-man and Callahan like a 1m forward, we lost a ton of value on those 2 contracts, can't afford Johnson and Palat to go into slumps like this and last if they're to be resigned to raises.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We missed out on a huge opportunity with this homestand. Luckily, everyone else seems to be struggling to put a run together too, except Toronto, of course.

But now we're in the unenviable position of having to put together some wins on the road, something we've never been good at, and we're going in with shaky goaltending and low confidence in general. If the wrong teams get hot, we might come out of this road trip with a dead season on our hands.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
For the division spots:
Montreal is 10 points ahead of us with a game in hand, so that's not happening.
Ottawa is 4 points ahead of us with 2 games in hand.
Boston is 2 points ahead of us with a game in hand.

Not in good shape for a division spot. I know it's not a lot of points to make up, but this team can't string two wins together.

For the Wild Card spots:
Washington is 9 points ahead with 2 games in hand.
Philly is 4 points ahead, even in games.
Toronto is tied with us, 2 games in hand.
Florida is 2 points behind us with a game in hand.
Carolina is 3 points behind us with 2 games in hand.
Detroit is 5 points behind with 2 games in hand.
Isles are 6 points back with 3 games in hand.

Based on what I've seen from the team this year, I have little faith we are better than any of those teams.

Ottawa is actually 2 points ahead of the Lightning. Boston and Ottawa are tied with 44 points.

Anyways, the Atlantic division is so ****ing ****** this year that i wouldn't worry at all about the Lightning right now. Even one small win streak would put the Lightning right back in a playoff spot.

Once they get going (and they will get going), they will lock down the 2nd spot in the Atlantic division while the rest of the rest of the Atlantic teams besides maybe Buffalo and Detroit will be fighting for the 3rd spot. Even then though, i wouldn't at all be surprised if Buffalo and Detroit gets back into the playoff race considering just how bad the Atlantic division is this year.

Last edited:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Ottawa is actually 2 points ahead of the Lightning. Boston and Ottawa are tied with 44 points.

Anyways, the Atlantic division is so ****ing ****** this year that i wouldn't worry at all about the Lightning right now. Even one small win streak would put the Lightning right back in a playoff spot.

Once they get going (and they will get going), they will lock down the 2nd spot in the Atlantic division while the rest of the rest of the Atlantic teams besides maybe Buffalo and Detroit will be fighting for the 3rd spot. Even then though, i wouldn't at all be surprised if Buffalo and Detroit gets back into the playoff race considering just how bad the Atlantic division is this year.

That was posted several days ago. Of course point totals have changed since then.

And we've been saying all that for 30 games now.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
One small losing steak could put them out, one small winning streak for any other team furthers the distance.

Why do people assume other teams will stagnate if their team wins?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You guys are looking at this all wrong. Colorado and Arizona have the top 2 spots locked up but the Islanders are just 6 points behind us in the 3rd spot with 4 games in hand. With the way they're playing and how we are we can be in that 3rd spot in no time. Prime position to land Hischier or Liljegrin. We could have that stud 2nd line center and trade Johnson and he will eventually push Stamkos to 2C or #2 defender behind Hedman so we can trade any number of our other defenseman. The only problem is Bishop is still out awhile and we really need him back crapping the bed so we keep losing.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
You guys are looking at this all wrong. Colorado and Arizona have the top 2 spots locked up but the Islanders are just 6 points behind us in the 3rd spot with 4 games in hand. With the way they're playing and how we are we can be in that 3rd spot in no time. Prime position to land Hischier or Liljegrin. We could have that stud 2nd line center and trade Johnson and he will eventually push Stamkos to 2C or #2 defender behind Hedman so we can trade any number of our other defenseman. The only problem is Bishop is still out awhile and we really need him back crapping the bed so we keep losing.

Yes hose tank tank tank

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
One small losing steak could put them out, one small winning streak for any other team furthers the distance.

Why do people assume other teams will stagnate if their team wins?

Yup. People look at it as "only 4 points". 4 points means we win 2 straight and the team we're chasing loses 2 straight. And that's only to tie. Since we really struggle to win 2 in a row, I don't like our chances of overcoming any point deficit.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah that's why the 12 in 10 rule is the way to go. We're what, six points in the hole according to that pace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad