Playoff Race/Standings

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Healthy lineup we beat them 7 - 3. We lose to them in overtime with 6 starters missing and all of a sudden they are better than us. People have lost their mind.

And given the fact that the Leafs are paying something like $8 million a year to Babcock they better have some good coaching.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Why all the hate on Cooper. Yeah I get it he's not Babcock. But Coop has done really well with this club and I think deserves a little bit of credit. Last year the bolts made it to the game 7 of the ECF with a broken team most of the year. The year before that the club made it to the big show. The year before that we still made it to the playoffs but got swept by Montreal. So if you look at all of Cooper's (full) years with the Lightning he's done a pretty amazing job.

A large part of those troubles last year lie on Cooper's shoulders. That team regressed 11 points from the previous season, and did so in the weaker of the two East divisions, at that. They went as far as they did in part of facing the de facto #8 seed in the first round. I'm not gonna credit Cooper for an underachieving team when he was a significant reason why.

I had no problem giving him credit last postseason either, btw, but, to me, the bad clearly outweighs the good by this point.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
We wouldn't be doing any better with Babcock considering all the injuries. He is a good coach but doesn't walk on water. He has only been to finals twice in his career and won once.

PRZ45MD

Aug 11, 2016
Message boards would be a boring place if everyone were even keeled, patient and thoughtfully introspective...

They'd be much more pleasant, but pretty boring.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
For the last time:

We were not a good hockey team BEFORE the injuries started. Even before Stamkos went down we were a negative possession team. Stop blaming everything on injuries because we were mediocre when healthy.

I'd love to see our numbers with Stralman vs. without. Seems like our turnaround in possession started exactly when Stralman returned.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'd love to see our numbers with Stralman vs. without. Seems like our turnaround in possession started exactly when Stralman returned.

Our PP was better with Stamkos. People cannot seriously think that injuries haven't hampered this team and that we wouldn't be a better team without them. It's not excuse, it's just truth.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Our PP was better with Stamkos. People cannot seriously think that injuries haven't hampered this team and that we wouldn't be a better team without them. It's not excuse, it's just truth.

I think it's somewhere in the middle. We under-performed when healthy, and then the pile up of injuries and the most travel-heavy schedule in the league combined to give us a glimpse of disaster.

But I don't think it was ever as bad as it looked. The worst we looked was when we were icing 5-6 AHL forwards, and our record was at its worst when we hadn't played nearly as many home games as road.

And I think those games without Anton Stralman hurt our possession numbers a lot. We no longer have a player capable of filling in for him.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
1/3 Jets
1/5 Preds
1/7 @Flyers
1/8 @Pens (B2B)
1/12 Sabres
1/13 Blue Jackets (B2B)

Plenty of winnable games, but the tail ends of those back to backs are brutal matchups.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
1/3 Jets
1/5 Preds
1/7 @Flyers
1/8 @Pens (B2B)
1/12 Sabres
1/13 Blue Jackets (B2B)

Plenty of winnable games, but the tail ends of those back to backs are brutal matchups.

At the point where we need to win 5 of those games. So hard to make up ground in this league. Even just a few points takes some work. Just because we win doesn't mean everyone else loses.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ottawa lost to the Caps, so they blew one of their two games at hand. They're still two points up. The Flyers are kind of within reach now too, for the Wild Card, with three more points, but us with a game at hand. Bad news is the Leafs are streaking upward, and are still just one point back of us, two games at hand.

So:

2. Ottawa -- 37 GP; 44 PTS
3. Boston -- 39 GP; 44 PTS
4. Tampa Bay -- 38 GP; 42 PTS
5. Toronto -- 36 GP; 41 PTS

And Philly, holding onto the final Wild Card position: 39 GP; 45 PTS

It's also worth noting that we're slightly ahead of where we were last year at this time.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
NJ clinging to a one goal lead, halfway through the game vs. Boston.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
NJ wins, OP updated, we've now gained a point on Boston over the last three games.

Tonight's game is a chance to actually make up big ground.

Can't believe I'm gonna say this, but I hope Callahan's back. We could use the extra PP he brings.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The extra PK even more...

It was a "Callahan dives" joke. ;)

But yeah. We could use him right about now, whatever it is he has left. And 27-51-24 isn't a bad second line, on paper.

Hoping to see Erne make his NHL debut tonight. Our AHL-watchers have said his play has turned around over the last few weeks.

PRZ45MD

Aug 11, 2016
It was a "Callahan dives" joke. ;)

But yeah. We could use him right about now, whatever it is he has left. And 27-51-24 isn't a bad second line, on paper.

Hoping to see Erne make his NHL debut tonight. Our AHL-watchers have said his play has turned around over the last few weeks.

Cooper confirmed it. Cally is probable and Erne will be playing tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille