Playoff Push Thread

arsenalgooner

Nov 2, 2011
Because in the NHL, like the NBA, its very easy to identify at a young age who the dynamic talents are going to be. Hughes isn't a Crosby/McDavid level talent, but he's in that next tier with guys like Tavares and Austin Mathews.

And beyond that, it's a crapshoot. I just looked at the drafts from 2000 on, and beyond the first pick (and including the first pick in some cases), there are a lot of "nice players" and "meh" types of guys. As has been pointed out, even finishing dead last only guarantees you a chance at the top pick and no worse than fourth (I think?).

Are the players beyond Hughes projected to be stars or just solid guys? I don't know- that's a serious question. Is this a 2015 (difference makers) kinda draft or a 2012 (ok guys)?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
And beyond that, it's a crapshoot. I just looked at the drafts from 2000 on, and beyond the first pick (and including the first pick in some cases), there are a lot of "nice players" and "meh" types of guys. As has been pointed out, even finishing dead last only guarantees you a chance at the top pick and no worse than fourth (I think?).

Are the players beyond Hughes projected to be stars or just solid guys? I don't know- that's a serious question. Is this a 2015 (difference makers) kinda draft or a 2012 (ok guys)?

Kakko is projected to be an impact player as well.

Reactions: arsenalgooner

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The Hawks absolutely suck. Even when they beat Detroit, the Wings got what 48 shots against them? They play a big physical team like Boston and get absolutely dogged. The Hawks getting the 8 seed and getting smoked in the first round does nothing for this team. I'd take a shot at a top 2 pick over scraping into the playoffs in an awful division any day.

They absolutely suck? No, not really. They’re improving and have hope. The problems that need fixing I don’t think should be THAT difficult to fix while before Kane and Toews’ windows close.

Your negativity lately is on par with BWC’s.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
They absolutely suck? No, not really. They’re improving and have hope. The problems that need fixing I don’t think should be THAT difficult to fix while before Kane and Toews’ windows close.

Your negativity lately is on par with BWC’s.

And they'd be a lot easier to fix if the Hawks wound up with a top 5 pick. Yes I'm negative because the Hawks are playing themselves out of a lottery pick, and out of selling players at the deadline, so that they can play in the first round and get smoked.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
And they'd be a lot easier to fix if the Hawks wound up with a top 5 pick. Yes I'm negative because the Hawks are playing themselves out of a lottery pick, and out of selling players at the deadline, so that they can play in the first round and get smoked.

The problem with this team is on defense, not sure a top 5 pick is going to solve that unless you trade it.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

A top 5 pick is coming in, and ALSO sucking defensively. This is the problem with young players in general, and why the Hawks are struggling. They are extremely young and these guys are still learning how to defend in the NHL. Not sure how much you watch hockey outside of the NHL...but there's not a whole lot of defense being played by forwards in the younger leagues. Offense, offense, offense. Everyone is looking to pad their stats in hopes of getting drafted, and drafted higher.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I am really happy with Boqvist but Dahlin continues to look like something special.

Ya it would have been incredible to have Dahlin, Boqvist is fine but this team needs immediate help in the back end.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Ya it would have been incredible to have Dahlin, Boqvist is fine but this team needs immediate help in the back end.

It does and I expect them to address this potentially this summer. I am higher on going after Karlsson than most here though. Trouba is also a possibility. You add either of them to our pipeline and we are looking pretty damn good.

Reactions: Hawkaholic

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
It does and I expect them to address this potentially this summer. I am higher on going after Karlsson than most here though. Trouba is also a possibility. You add either of them to our pipeline and we are looking pretty damn good.

I think we need a stay at home D more than anything, just reliable Hammer and Keith style D, I think that’s where this team is lacking. Hammer has 2 good years left in the tank, bring him back for 2.5M per for 3 years, I think he will take it. Then somehow get rid of Seabrook soon enough maybe compliance buyout and that will only leave Keith and Hammer and as the old men and the rest can be young dudes until full transition happens which will take a couple more years anyway.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think we need a stay at home D more than anything, just reliable Hammer and Keith style D, I think that’s where this team is lacking. Hammer has 2 good years left in the tank, bring him back for 2.5M per for 3 years, I think he will take it. Then somehow get rid of Seabrook soon enough maybe compliance buyout and that will only leave Keith and Hammer and as the old men and the rest can be young dudes until full transition happens which will take a couple more years anyway.
Hammer signed a deal to stay in Arizona, didn't he?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Hammer resigned with AZ for 2 more years for a 5.0 AAV.

Trouba would be a good choice but he will have a high cost. Personally I think he would be worth it.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
you do not want to overpay for 3rd and 4th liners but it obvious that we need at least 2 forwards to slot in that are defensively responsible that can play the bottom 6. I still expect one or two kids to make the jump next year, but guys that can help shutdown the opposition is what is desperately needed here and Kruger hasn't been that answer.

I think Saad - Kampf - and a solid 3rd line RW that can help shutdown teams would look real good...then we need an entirely rejuvenated 4th line, possibly Barratt centering two veterans not named Kruger and Kunitz would be extremely helpful. They need to have grit, speed, and able to put constant pressure on - exactly what our 4th line lacks currently.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The problem with this team is on defense, not sure a top 5 pick is going to solve that unless you trade it.

Or you can keep your top 5 pick and trade from your forwards to get defense. Or you can sign solid, but not star defensemen and try to win the Cup like the Caps and Pens did.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
if people on the main trade board are saying Dzingel will not fetch a first back, we better be on the phone with them ASAP - clearly he is worth our 2nd plus a decent prospect to play 2nd/3rd line with us. I have seen different stories for what he thinks he is worth, but I would be fine paying him $5 mil if we move out AA.

EDIT - need a 2nd rounder lol...

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
if people on the main trade board are saying Dzingel will not fetch a first back, we better be on the phone with them ASAP - clearly he is worth our 2nd plus a decent prospect to play 2nd/3rd line with us. I have seen different stories for what he thinks he is worth, but I would be fine paying him $5 mil if we move out AA.
Does Boston want AA?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Hammer resigned with AZ for 2 more years for a 5.0 AAV.

Trouba would be a good choice but he will have a high cost. Personally I think he would be worth it.

Oh damn I didn’t know that...

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Disagree here. He's worth it, especially for only 2 yrs. If Murphy is worth 3.85, Hammer at 5 is as good of a deal.

I don't know about how others feel but I was shocked that Hammer didn't re-sign for a longer term than 2 years. One of the reasons I though Stan traded him away was because of the prospect of another long term contract (and Hawks could ill afford a player who has a lot of miles on him and was showing signs of slowing down). A 2-year extension in Chicago would have been quite doable.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Thread got derailed, back on topic.

With 24 games remaining:

-11 games vs current playoff teams
-13 games vs teams outside of playoff spot

Hawks play bottom feeder teams such as DET, OTT, ANA, LA x2 and COL x3. (8 games)

Hawks also play out their last 4 regular season games vs division rival playoff teams: WPG, STL, DAL and NSH (3 of which are on home ice)

Chicago will need to take care of COL games and the 3 games vs DAL (4 home/2 away)

It's fun watching hockey again. Feb/March should be exciting hockey.

Reactions: LDF

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I don't know about how others feel but I was shocked that Hammer didn't re-sign for a longer term than 2 years. One of the reasons I though Stan traded him away was because of the prospect of another long term contract (and Hawks could ill afford a player who has a lot of miles on him and was showing signs of slowing down). A 2-year extension in Chicago would have been quite doable.

He traded him away because he’s an idiot, not because he had any negotiations with Hammer... Why would you trade such a high end stay at home D getting paid very well I just don’t understand, some were convinced he was “declining” that was the narative after he left lol. I don’t get it personally, as soon as a player has a couple months of non top shape hockey he’s declining? It’s like people pick and choose who to put that label on, some have bigger leashes than others, to say he was declining was moronic and laughable to me but hey whatever makes the same group of apologetics happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad