Playoff Push Thread

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
This dude wants to win Cups he says.

All stats and spreadsheets aside, you do realize you have to actually make the playoffs to contend for a Cup, right?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
This dude wants to win Cups he says.

All stats and spreadsheets aside, you do realize you have to actually make the playoffs to contend for a Cup, right?

Its obvious what JD is saying, it’s very understandable and logical, imagine a player like Jack Hughes added to the offence which is Toews, Kane, Strome, Cat, Panarin, that’s unmatched top 6, yes you win cup with that kinda offense. Remember the top pick comes at a very low cap hit for 3 years which makes the deal even sweeter and allows the team to have much more depth. I would prefer Hughes or Kakko as well over playoffs but I can’t naturally root for the team to lose it’s not in me and I am sure he feels conflicting feelings too but it’s essentially for the long term health of the team which makes sense. That all said am I excited for the playoffs? Who wouldn’t be?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I know exactly what it means, and you are doing it.

False. Because only two of their critical cup winning pieces came from being bad. The rest of their pieces were lucky draft picks, free agent signings, and trades....

Edmonton arguably has two equal pieces to Toews and Kane, in McDavid and Draisaitl. They still absolutely suck.

You don't win cups by drafting in the top 5 or top 10 for years on end. That guarantees absolutely nothing. You win cups by identifying talent. Whether that comes in the draft, in Europe, in free agency, or in trades, really doesn't matter in the least. Hockey is the ultimate team sport. A couple of elite players gets you nothing in this league.

It doesn't surprise me that you think scouts and scouting are overrated. It shows me that you don't see the game the same way people that have lived hockey for 30+ years see the game. It's also why you think all shots are created equal.

So the teams that consistently find talent, without high draft picks, are just lucky? Is that seriously your stance?

What a great post. I'd like to add that many 19-year-olds are quite immature and have only begun to tap their potential at that age. Scouting is obviously a difficult occupation. I get a good chuckle every time I hear folks say there is little available after the first round of any draft. Hoping for a team to fail may seem logical to some but ... well never mind, some will never get it.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Even if the Hawks are TERRIBLE this season once again, there is absolutely no guarantee they land players good enough to get them another cup. Zero. Zip. Zilch.

Just based on core players alone, and how they are playing......there is absolutely no way they win less games than the bottom 5 teams in the league. Those teams are ****ing abysmal, and the Hawks aren't even close to being that bad.

Hockey is entertainment. The Hawks have won 3 cups in my lifetime, and were basically a modern day dynasty. They competed for a cup almost every season since 2008-2009. Another cup would be awesome, but I just want to watch ENTERTAINING HOCKEY from them at this point. The last two seasons have been ****ing awful. I have already watched more full games this season, than I did last season. This team has a very 2005-2007 Blackhawks' vibe to it.

The Hawks are young, and entertaining. In the NHL, things change VERY quickly, and draft picks are unpredictable. The Hawks will be drafting in the 10-17 range, more than likely. The Hawks might have a better chance of finding an impact player there, than most teams do in the 5-16 range, based on their scouting abilities...

Being awful every season is overrated. Just ask Arizona, Buffalo, Edmonton, Carolina, Columbus, Florida, Colorado, and New Jersey. How close are those teams to contending for a cup?? Most are further away than the Hawks, who have been a dominant team for the better part of a decade.....

Losing breeds losing.

This exactly, the Hawks are not going to finish in the bottom 5-6 worst teams, so picking 7-15 really that different? And even the worst team isn't guaranteed Hughes.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Both Pez and JD are right in their stance. Adding a top 5 pick to this current team can do wonders, moving forward. We already have the deeper draft picks (Boqvist, Mitchell, Jokiharju, Debrincat), and we have made some good trades (Strome, Murphy, Saad) and we already have past top picks (Toews, Kane) so adding a top player like a Hughes or kakko is much better than gaining experience in the playoffs at this point. Yes, you need your depth draft picks to pan out, but you also need that top player on your team too. Getting a Hughes or Kakko is much better than not getting them this year, and it's better than making the playoffs just to lose in round 1.

I won't actively cheer for the team to lose, and want them to win as it is exciting to watch now compared to last year, but moving forward, a top pick this year is far more important than simply scraping to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The 'dynasty' Blackhawks of the 2010s were born out of sucking for years.

Rightly or wrongly, that's what it takes within the system as currently constructed.

Truthfully, given the flattening of the league through salary cap parity over the last decade, it actually takes very few years in the basement to get back into contention. Look at the Leafs, for example.

Everybody holds up the Oilers as some boogey-man. Yes, if you're ****ing incompetent, then getting a ton of talent high in the draft won't help you.

Likewise, you can because incredibly competent, and not have enough talent and fail just as much.

Assuming a baseline of competence (which, granted, may be too much to expect from the average #goodhockeyman), you're better off amassing talent than you are pushing for playing experience or 'winning culture'.

The Blackhawks had roughly, let me calculate this... *pulls out calculator*... ah, yes, ZERO ****ING WINNING CULTURE when they went the WCF in 2009. They just had talent. Lots and lots of talent amassed by being bad for a long time.

Terrible example. :laugh:

They haven't won anything yet, and the FO is blocking them from doing so with atrocious cap/contract management. I wouldn't be shocked if they don't even win a single one with this core they have.

Their D is bad outside of one or two guys, and their goaltending is mediocre, at best. They aren't winning a Cup with that. And after these big contracts, they aren't filling those holes, either. At least not with solid FA talent.

Last edited:

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I am really coming to hate the notion that the only thing that matters in modern sports is winning a title. Yes, winning championships is the single most important thing out there, I am not disputing that. However, I think people forget that sports, at least from my point of view, is about entertainment and the moments of glory and jubilation that we experience when our teams do something incredible. That can happen in game 7 of a championship final or it could happen in a regular season game. If you're a Cubs fan, you'll remember the David Bote grand slam this year for the rest of your life, even if the Cubs ended up going out horribly to end the year.

Earlier in the season I was all for the Hawks tanking it out and getting a top 3 pick, but that just isn't realistic anymore and I think would hurt the team. Yes, having a Jack Hughes would be nice, but even if the Hawks finished last in the league, they'd have a 80%+ chance of NOT getting him. To me the most important things for the team right now is to build momentum for next year. If the Hawks finish top 3 this year that probably means some of the following have happened...

-Colliton has gone from looking great to poor
-A significant injury has occurred to at least one key player
-The younger, developing players have taken steps back
-Delia has regressed
-The powerplay has regressed

All of those things would be BAD for the future of the Hawks. I want this team to go as deep as they can this year (now that they have put themselves back in the discussion) so there is momentum and optimism for next year. I want Colliton to be looked at as the answer, I want our core players to continue to be elite, I want Delia to continue to emerge, I want our young players to continue to get better. If all of that happens, that is undoubtedly going to create more wins for the team next year than Jack Hughes would. The team has a real shot, with a couple additions, at being a contender next year.

Mostly though, they've been fun. It was an utterly miserable experience watching them earlier in the winter and they've been damn fun to watch. They look good and more importantly they feel good about themselves. You want a winning culture, you don't want to waste more prime years from Toews and Kane.

There has to be more in sports than either winning the title or the draft lottery.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I am really coming to hate the notion that the only thing that matters in modern sports is winning a title. Yes, winning championships is the single most important thing out there, I am not disputing that. However, I think people forget that sports, at least from my point of view, is about entertainment and the moments of glory and jubilation that we experience when our teams do something incredible. That can happen in game 7 of a championship final or it could happen in a regular season game. If you're a Cubs fan, you'll remember the David Bote grand slam this year for the rest of your life, even if the Cubs ended up going out horribly to end the year.

Earlier in the season I was all for the Hawks tanking it out and getting a top 3 pick, but that just isn't realistic anymore and I think would hurt the team. Yes, having a Jack Hughes would be nice, but even if the Hawks finished last in the league, they'd have a 80%+ chance of NOT getting him. To me the most important things for the team right now is to build momentum for next year. If the Hawks finish top 3 this year that probably means some of the following have happened...

-Colliton has gone from looking great to poor
-A significant injury has occurred to at least one key player
-The younger, developing players have taken steps back
-Delia has regressed
-The powerplay has regressed

All of those things would be BAD for the future of the Hawks. I want this team to go as deep as they can this year (now that they have put themselves back in the discussion) so there is momentum and optimism for next year. I want Colliton to be looked at as the answer, I want our core players to continue to be elite, I want Delia to continue to emerge, I want our young players to continue to get better. If all of that happens, that is undoubtedly going to create more wins for the team next year than Jack Hughes would. The team has a real shot, with a couple additions, at being a contender next year.

Mostly though, they've been fun. It was an utterly miserable experience watching them earlier in the winter and they've been damn fun to watch. They look good and more importantly they feel good about themselves. You want a winning culture, you don't want to waste more prime years from Toews and Kane.

There has to be more in sports than either winning the title or the draft lottery.

Hughes isn't even a guarantee at making the Hawks a contender, or speeding up the rebuild to that status. He could completely bomb at the NHL level. No one knows.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Both Pez and JD are right in their stance. Adding a top 5 pick to this current team can do wonders, moving forward. We already have the deeper draft picks (Boqvist, Mitchell, Jokiharju, Debrincat), and we have made some good trades (Strome, Murphy, Saad) and we already have past top picks (Toews, Kane) so adding a top player like a Hughes or kakko is much better than gaining experience in the playoffs at this point. Yes, you need your depth draft picks to pan out, but you also need that top player on your team too. Getting a Hughes or Kakko is much better than not getting them this year, and it's better than making the playoffs just to lose in round 1.

I won't actively cheer for the team to lose, and want them to win as it is exciting to watch now compared to last year, but moving forward, a top pick this year is far more important than simply scraping to make the playoffs.
I'm all for getting Kakko or Hughes, but we're not getting a top 2 pick ... unless we get really lucky with the lottery balls.

That's the issue. In a draft that really top heavy 2-3 deep, it's probably best to try to make the playoffs.

The key is to still be sellers at the deadline. We need to shed ourselves of the bad contracts. If the Hawks make the playoffs in the process, so be it.

No one is arguing a high draft pick give a team a better hit rate. However, winning also proves Murphy, Gus, Strome, Cat, Saad, Delia, Kahun, Hayden can play. That's just as important as a lottery pick.

Wishing for a top 2 pick while hoping our youngsters start performing, it's not realistic. If our youngsters perform, the Hawks are going to win.

If the Hawks were winning by just playing their veterans, I'd have an issue. However, the Hawks youngsters are developing. That's just as important.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If the Hawks were winning by just playing their veterans, I'd have an issue. However, the Hawks youngsters are developing. That's just as important.

Which is exactly what Q would have done and has been doing in recent years. And is one of the reasons he needed to go.

I think we all are hoping that one of JC's best attributes will be knowing how to treat the youngsters in the org. Personally I think he is off to a very good start.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
Why not have some pride and go for the playoffs?

To get to draft one of the top two would be nice, but neither one is a defenseman.

After all this team has been through this season, only to possibly make to the playoffs is something every fan should be happy about.

Reactions: OTC

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Terrible example. :laugh:

They haven't won anything yet, and the FO is blocking them from doing so with atrocious cap/contract management. I wouldn't be shocked if they don't even win a single one with this core they have.

Their D is bad outside of one or two guys, and their goaltending is mediocre, at best. They aren't winning a Cup with that. And after these big contracts, they aren't filling those holes, either. At least not with solid FA talent.

We'll see what happens. I think even with their big contracts, they've set themselves up well to be a top-5 team in the league for a good 3-5 year window. No guarentees they win a cup in that time, look at Tampa, but they've put themselves in a good position to contend year-after-year.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
We'll see what happens. I think even with their big contracts, they've set themselves up well to be a top-5 team in the league for a good 3-5 year window. No guarentees they win a cup in that time, look at Tampa, but they've put themselves in a good position to contend year-after-year.

I just don't see it with that D and goaltending being so suspect.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I genuinely dont believe the Hawks tanked their way into 3 cups, and I dont know that anyone ever has. Being bad is never the way to become a good team, intelligent roster management is.

With this current roster, it's like some people are searching for a window to be competitive while staring out of a window to be competitive.

The Blackhawks were not bad on purpose. They were trying to be good and were failing at it. Miserably. They sold a lot off pre-2004 lockout in prep for the lockout. They came out of the lockout spending a ton of money, it was just spent on players who were no longer good in the new league with the new rules and a goaltender (Khabi) who had just come off a Cup and simply fell off a cliff post-lockout. They spent money, they were trying to be good, they just were failing badly at it.

One of the biggest misnomers is that the Hawks "tanked" for Kane and Toews. No, they were just bad at hockey and got lucky to be bad enough to land those two and have them work out to become what they did.

Reactions: Cowch

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I genuinely dont believe the Hawks tanked their way into 3 cups, and I dont know that anyone ever has. Being bad is never the way to become a good team, intelligent roster management is.

With this current roster, it's like some people are searching for a window to be competitive while staring out of a window to be competitive.

The Penguins absolute tanked their way to Mario Lemiux and both Malkin and Crosby.

The Blackhawks... I don't know if it was intent so much as incompetence, but the result was the same. They were very bad for a long time, and drafted impactful talent as a result.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
The Hawks were basically a Michal Handzus being healthy for an extra couple of weeks away from not even being able to win the Kane lottery. There was an insane amount of luck for everything to fall into place as it did.

I have no issue with still wanting to sell at the deadline since the odds of this team going deep in the playoffs are minimal at best. But to want the team to lose, which concurrently means wanting what is the majority of the young core to not succeed for the purposes of getting a 5% better chance of a top 2 pick or something is a bit bizarre to me.

Also I would say that the Hawks were incompetent at the NHL level but smart enough to stockpile draft picks, and then ended up with the perfect storm of generational young talents, numerous depth pieces from the aforementioned stockpiled picks and a decent amount of cap circumvention.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Liner

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

They are the previous version of the Washington Capitals. Plenty of offensive weapons that are able to dominate in the regular season, but lacking the defense and goaltending to get over the hump. The difference with Toronto is that they won't have the depth or cap space to fix their holes.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The Penguins absolute tanked their way to Mario Lemiux and both Malkin and Crosby.

The Blackhawks... I don't know if it was intent so much as incompetence, but the result was the same. They were very bad for a long time, and drafted impactful talent as a result.
The Penguins were on the brink of being ousted from the NHL / moving. They weren't tanking. They barely had any money to operate since 1999. Then a Hail Mary getting Malkin and Crosby helped them build an arena.

Tanking wasn't optional. They literally had no money with a crumbling arena.

Take a similar look at the Islanders. Years of tanking has them playing in Brooklyn and still looking for a new arena (if not in Elmont, NY).

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
Every year Kane and Toews are not 36-37 years old is a year we should be trying to make the post season.

The hawks look like (if) they miss the playoffs they may get picks 5-10 which I don’t give a damn about. I want to watch the Hawks play a 7 game series.

We can debate all year, but nobody knew Vegas could make the SCF with their team. They are an exception, but it’s just one of those “You never know” situations. Sometimes teams put the right tools together and surprise.

Blackhawks might be on to something after Strome, Cagguila and Kahun adding depth.

Reactions: OTC

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Every year Kane and Toews are not 36-37 years old is a year we should be trying to make the post season.

The hawks look like (if) they miss the playoffs they may get picks 5-10 which I don’t give a damn about. I want to watch the Hawks play a 7 game series.

We can debate all year, but nobody knew Vegas could make the SCF with their team. They are an exception, but it’s just one of those “You never know” situations. Sometimes teams put the right tools together and surprise.

Blackhawks might be on to something after Strome, Cagguila and Kahun adding depth.

The Hawks absolutely suck. Even when they beat Detroit, the Wings got what 48 shots against them? They play a big physical team like Boston and get absolutely dogged. The Hawks getting the 8 seed and getting smoked in the first round does nothing for this team. I'd take a shot at a top 2 pick over scraping into the playoffs in an awful division any day.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Explain, please. No player is a guaranteed thing. And no player is going to convert this team to a contender overnight, especially a forward.

Not sure how it's a bad take.

Because in the NHL, like the NBA, its very easy to identify at a young age who the dynamic talents are going to be. Hughes isn't a Crosby/McDavid level talent, but he's in that next tier with guys like Tavares and Austin Mathews.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Because in the NHL, like the NBA, its very easy to identify at a young age who the dynamic talents are going to be. Hughes isn't a Crosby/McDavid level talent, but he's in that next tier with guys like Tavares and Austin Mathews.

That does a good job of proving wrong the argument that no player is a guarantee... and explaining how it's a bad take. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad