Playoff Push Thread

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
The Blackhawks are currently 4 points out of the postseason. They have (after Boston) a decent schedule coming up in the next two weeks.

The “4 point” games are crucial.

Next 10 games****

Easier matchups : Anaheim, Detroit, NJD, Ottawa, LAK

50/50 games: Dallas, Colorado

Pull out some W’s please : Boston, SJ, CBJ

Here’s to hoping this team can be nearly 7-3 , I know it’s tough but it’s what needs to happen.

Reactions: sugoi88

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Yes, I dearly, dearly hope they win enough games to earn the right to get their rectums stretched through 4 games in the first round of the playoffs, all in pursuit of a worse draft pick.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
You should un-plug your computer.

Hmmmm.... nah.

Look, at some point you run out of ways to say 'asses kicked'. And frankly 'asses kicked' probably isn't a strong enough description for what would happen to the Blackhawks were they to face one of the top seeds in either division through a 7 ga...oh who are we kidding, 4 game series.

Sorry if I went too vulgar or too detailed for you.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yes, I dearly, dearly hope they win enough games to earn the right to get their rectums stretched through 4 games in the first round of the playoffs, all in pursuit of a worse draft pick.

At what at what point would making the playoffs be worth it to you? 2nd round? WCF? Stanley Cup?

I am not saying I think the playoffs are great thing for the team but experience is an important thing even though you can't quantify it's value (maybe you can but that is a lot of data to dig through).

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
At what at what point would making the playoffs be worth it to you? 2nd round? WCF? Stanley Cup?

I am not saying I think the playoffs are great thing for the team but experience is an important thing even though you can't quantify it's value (maybe you can but that is a lot of data to dig through).

I'd want at least the chance to win a round based on something more than luck.

The Edmonton Oilers won a round based on nothing more than their top line and hot goaltending. How much has that great experience helped them since in the face of a simple lack of talent?

How much did winning 3 of 7 games help the Maple Leafs in 2013, when they made the playoffs on the back of Reimer playing out of his mind? Did that experience matter the next year, or did simple lack of talent keep them out of the playoffs until they finally decided to make the smart, long-term decision?

There are innumerable examples of bad teams lucking their way into the playoffs, doing nothing, and gaining nothing from the experience of being exposed as lucky to be there in the first place.

You want your young players to learn how to win? Make sure they're part of a team that can win, then win a little more, then win more after that. The 'experience' of being part of a fluke one-and-done playoff team is not as significant as some suggest.

Reactions: Rolo

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'd want at least the chance to win a round based on something more than luck.

The Edmonton Oilers won a round based on nothing more than their top line and hot goaltending. How much has that great experience helped them since in the face of a simple lack of talent?

How much did winning 3 of 7 games help the Maple Leafs in 2013, when they made the playoffs on the back of Reimer playing out of his mind? Did that experience matter the next year, or did simple lack of talent keep them out of the playoffs until they finally decided to make the smart, long-term decision?

There are innumerable examples of bad teams lucking their way into the playoffs, doing nothing, and gaining nothing from the experience of being exposed as lucky to be there in the first place.

You want your young players to learn how to win? Make sure they're part of a team that can win, then win a little more, then win more after that. The 'experience' of being part of a fluke one-and-done playoff team is not as significant as some suggest.

This Hawks team is nothing like the Oilers team.n.

The Oilers had very little in the pipeline and were a 1 line team.

This team is a 2 line team and the pipeline is much better with the positions that the team needs. The Hawks also have room to make a big addition this summer while still having room for the future.

Are you implying that if the Hawks make the playoffs it is luck? This would also imply that you think this team is the one that was the worst in the NHL and not the one we are seeing now. I think this would be a foolish assumption.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL

If by some miracle the Hawks squeak into the playoffs, they would be one of if not the hottest team in the NHL for the second half of the season..do you really think they wouldn't make some noise in the first round?

Either way, this team is not picking top 5 when Kane is in the running for the Art Ross, and Toews, Strome, and DeBrincat are all at a PPG pace. It's just not going to happen.

I'd rather finish the year strong, even if we finish just outside the playoffs, since it would both give our kiddos experience winning games while also making ourselves look like a more attractive destination for free agents this summer

Last edited:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

This team is a 2 line team and the pipeline is much better with the positions that the team needs. The Hawks also have room to make a big addition this summer while still having room for the future.

Are you implying that if the Hawks make the playoffs it is luck? This would also imply that you think this team is the one that was the worst in the NHL and not the one we are seeing now. I think this would be a foolish assumption.

I don't think the Blackhawks are uniquely shit, I think all of the teams battling for the final wildcard spot are trash. If the entire conference wasn't in the gutter, the cutoff for the playoffs wouldn't be the mid-80s, it would be the mid-90s, like it usually is.

Squeaking into the playoffs in a year where everybody sucks doesn't provide any evidence you're a good team, or a team on the cusp. It means you were the tallest midget in a one-off.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Hmmmm.... nah.

Look, at some point you run out of ways to say 'asses kicked'. And frankly 'asses kicked' probably isn't a strong enough description for what would happen to the Blackhawks were they to face one of the top seeds in either division through a 7 ga...oh who are we kidding, 4 game series.

If the Hawks don't get a top 3 pick, we might as well make the playoffs.

There's really no argument. Our youngsters need the experience and if they perform or struggle in the playoffs, we'll get a better idea of what to pay them. Furthermore, you never know in the playoffs. Our bad defense is definitely a major problem ... but if the Hawks can score and receive great goaltending, who knows?!?!

This year was either get:

1. a top 3 pick.
2. into the playoffs.

Since the former is a fantasy, we might as well try to make the playoffs while trying to trade some of our bad contracts. We can do both.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
If the Hawks don't get a top 3 pick, we might as well make the playoffs.

There's really no argument. Our youngsters need the experience and if they perform or struggle in the playoffs, we'll get a better idea of what to pay them. Furthermore, you never know in the playoffs. Our bad defense is definitely a major problem ... but if the Hawks can score and great goaltending, who knows?!?!

It was either get:

1. a top 3 pick.
2. into the playoffs.

Since the former is a fantasy, we might as well try to make the playoffs while trying to trade some of our bad contracts.

I don't agree with this at all. This draft has good prospects up till the mid-teens. Even if you don't get an absolute game-changer, you can still get an impact player on an ELC through a good chunk of Toews and Kane's remaining impactful years.

Or we could delay the reinforcements by one more year, just for the short-term thrills of 'yay we made the playoffs!.... oh, we're eliminated now'

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

I absolutely think that if the Blackhawks make the playoffs it's largely luck. Primarily for the fact that most of the teams in the conference are in a down year, which is driving the cut-off point far lower than it normally is. Also for the fact that they're riding a hot PP and goalies (lately, though that seems even less likely to last than the PP, cause at least you can argue the PP is the by-product of coaching).

5v5, this is a trash team, even by the hilariously low standards set by the teams around them.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don't agree with this at all. This draft has good prospects up till the mid-teens. Even if you don't get an absolute game-changer, you can still get an impact player on an ELC through a good chunk of Toews and Kane's remaining impactful years.

Or we could delay the reinforcements by one more year, just for the short-term thrills of 'yay we made the playoffs!.... oh, we're eliminated now'
I don't know anything about the hockey draft except what you guys say. Gathering from the knowledgeable posters, the 2019 NHL draft is very much like the 2019 NBA draft ... EXTREMELY TOP HEAVY. A pick in the mid to high top 10s ... will not be much different from the teens.

If this was a 10 deep draft, I'd agree with your assessment. However, drafting #8 vs. #15 doesn't seem it's going to make that much of a difference this year. As long as the Hawks still try to move Anisimov and Seabrook, it doesn't matter if we make the playoffs for our long term future.

We're not getting much for either Kunitz, Kampf, Kruger, or Hayden ... if anything. They mean nothing financially going forward.

It comes down to dealing Saad or Gus. IMO, we're only dealing them IF we get a huge bounty back. I mean really big ... otherwise it's not worth it. Gus is producing on a cheap contract under control for another year. Saad is producing on the 3rd line on a not terrible contract under control for more years. If necessary, we can deal them in the summer or by next year's trading deadline.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Hmmmm.... nah.

Nah, your posts are just really mind numbing at this point and you refuse to admit when you are wrong.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Only 4pts out of a playoff spot in mid Feb when Kane and Toews are having career years.

Yeah, play the safe route and get those draft picks for the future, lol. This isn't a full rebuild. Swing for the fences. If they miss, they're in the same spot next year. The West is a joke, take advantage of that while on a hot streak.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Nah, your posts are just really mind numbing at this point and you refuse to admit when you are wrong.

Nah man, if you'd rather watch your team get embarrassed in 4 games, you do you. Everybody's got their kink, and I don't judge.

But personally, I'd rather see the team actually, you know, get good. At hockey.

And not like, 'scrap into the playoffs in a year where everybody around them sucks and the playoff bar is lower' good, but actually 'contend for the cup not only one year, but several years in a row' good.

Hint: If your end goal, your pie-in-the-sky scenario is 'make the playoffs'... you're a shit team.

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
If the hawks get in they will be probably the hottest team in the NHL and somehow that means they will lose 4-0 series to the likes of the preds?

That seems a bit funny to me. But of course I dont KNOW everything like one guy on here.

1) Playoff push helps the kids get a taste of the dance.
2) Makes FA players more likely to consider your team.

No downside at all IMO.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Nah man, if you'd rather watch your team get embarrassed in 4 games, you do you. Everybody's got their kink, and I don't judge.

But personally, I'd rather see the team actually, you know, get good. At hockey.

And not like, 'scrap into the playoffs in a year where everybody around them sucks and the playoff bar is lower' good, but actually 'contend for the cup not only one year, but several years in a row' good.

Hint: If your end goal, your pie-in-the-sky scenario is 'make the playoffs'... you're a **** team.
I meant to ask, how are the Hurricanes doing these days?

Reactions: RayP

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I meant to ask, how are the Hurricanes doing these days?

In addition to much better underlying stats, they have more points in the standings as well. And only a single point out of the playoffs in a much tougher division and conference. Amazing what waiving a bad goalie can do for a team.

EDIT: They are a full +21 better in goal differential as well.

OOC, what do you look at when you decide who a better team is?

Raw Standings, wins/losses? (Advantage Carolina)

Underlying numbers? (Advantage Carolina)

Playoff position? (Advantage Carolina)

Quality of Competition? (Advantage Carolina)

Why... it's almost as if... they're a better team.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hmmmm.... nah.

With that attitude there'd be a multitude of teams all trying to lose down the stretch. I doubt you'll get it but that's not what sport is all about. Go back to your spreadsheets.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
In addition to much better underlying stats, they have more points in the standings as well. And only a single point out of the playoffs in a much tougher division and conference. Amazing what waiving a bad goalie can do for a team.

EDIT: They are a full +21 better in goal differential as well.

OOC, what do you look at when you decide who a better team is?

Raw Standings, wins/losses? (Advantage Carolina)

Underlying numbers? (Advantage Carolina)

Playoff position? (Advantage Carolina)

Quality of Competition? (Advantage Carolina)

Why... it's almost as if... they're a better team.
When was the last time they were relevant?

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
If the hawks get in they will be probably the hottest team in the NHL and somehow that means they will lose 4-0 series to the likes of the preds?

That seems a bit funny to me. But of course I dont KNOW everything like one guy on here.

No downside at all IMO.

The less hockey you watch and the more times you visit Corsica.hockey, the better fan you are.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
With that attitude there'd be a multitude of teams all trying to lose down the stretch. I doubt you'll get it but that's not what sport is all about. Go back to your spreadsheets.

I mean, in a vacuum, where winning the cup is all the matters, they probably should be.

But that's not the only motivating factor.

Many of these teams have to try and make the playoffs just to break even.

If you don't like tanking, petition the NHL to change the system from where it is now, where teams are rewarded for ultimate success (championships), or ultimate failure (high draft picks).

Teams that are happy to live in the limbo of scraping into the playoffs only to achieve nothing will be bad-t0-mediocre for years.

I've always said, I'd be fine with the Blackhawks being trash for years if they won ONE cup. They won 3. So I'm fine with them being trash.

But I'd rather they do what's smart and try to get better, rather than just staying trash indefinitely to appease idiots who think making the playoffs and doing nothing there is some kind of achievement.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

No downside at all IMO.

The Blackhawks would lose 4-0 to the likes of the Preds, Jets, Sharks or Flames.

That's assuming the NHL didn't step in after 3-0 and tell the Blackhawks, 'go home, we can't have you embarassing the league like this'. They may very well be the first team to lose a 7 game series 3-0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad