Playoff Push Thread

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
When was the last time they were either of those things?

Nobody is excusing the stupidity of some of their choices. Goin all in on a bad goalie like Darling and getting rid of a great coach like Peters were obviously set-backs.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Ok. They're higher quality than the Blackhawks right now.

By literally every single metric available, simple or 'fancy'.

Better?
That wasn't the question (and wasn't even the original point either), but whatever helps ya sleep at night!

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
I'd sleep better at night knowing the Blackhawks are going for a high pick that could actually make an impact, rather than a pointless playoff exit and weaker prospect.

If we're sellers at the trade deadline how high of a draft pick do you expect the hawks to get, realistically?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Oh sorry, are we talking about relevancy or quality? I got confused.

The issue is that they have not really been quality....

You can't say a team is quality when they haven't made the playoffs since 2009.

Note: They have the top corsi in the NHL but are currently out of the playoffs.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Ok. They're higher quality than the Blackhawks right now.

By literally every single metric available, simple or 'fancy'.

Better?

Better than the Hawks this season and the last for sure but I doubt they are better next season or seasons after. They are just middling team with good advanced numbers. At some point you have to realize that they are not as good as their numbers indicated and not just unlucky.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Ironically, the Canes, who are always the darlings (pun intended) of advanced stats proponents are working against the cause. At some point the rubber has to meet the road and translate to wins and losses.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Better than the Hawks this season and the last for sure but I doubt they are better next season or seasons after. They are just middling team with good advanced numbers. At some point you have to realize that they are not as good as their numbers indicated and not just unlucky.

Yep. Carolina on the stats sheet has been pretenders for years. They're the perfect example of why to throw out the numbers you read on paper. I'd take the current Hawks team over Canes in a playoff round every time. Shut down Aho and they're half way there already.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Carolina on paper has been pretenders for years. They're the perfect example of why to throw out the numbers you read on paper. I'd take the current Hawks team over Canes in a playoff round every time. Shut down Aho and they're half way there already.

You know I don't agree with the bold because I believe they are an important tool that can lead to important issues. We differ there but always have. You and JD are the polar opposite. JD believes the numbers are everything and you don't see any value. It is part of what makes this board interesting.

I think the Canes great numbers actually show their flaw, they have too much of one thing. Possession players are great but you need the Kane type players to win in my opinion.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You know I don't agree with the bold because I believe they are an important tool that can lead to important issues. We differ there but always have.

I think the Canes great numbers actually show their flaw, they have too much of one thing. Possession players are great but you need the Kane type players to win in my opinion.
Analytics is best used to explain performance ... not the other way around. Analytics can't account for the human influence. At the core, hockey is pretty simple:

1. Put pucks into the opponent's net.
2. Stop pucks from going into your own net.

If you can't do the basic fundamentals, analaytics mean poop.

Reactions: BobbyJet

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Analytics is best used to explain performance ... not the other way around. Analytics can't account for the human influence. At the core, hockey is pretty simple:

1. Put pucks into the opponent's net.
2. Stop pucks from going into your own net.

If you can't do the basic fundamentals, analaytics mean poop.

Correct.

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
Early in the season I was all for tanking and ushering in the next generation to hopefully help Kane/Toews win a cup in 3-5 years, because, well the team sucked and was horrible to watch, but then Strome/Cat (and JC?) happened and they ARE the next generation and helping Kane/Toews win a cup has been moved to present-5 years.

Why keep waiting? A top pick this year isn't going to help the team now and maybe never will, but the current youth is already helping the team.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You know I don't agree with the bold because I believe they are an important tool that can lead to important issues. We differ there but always have. You and JD are the polar opposite. JD believes the numbers are everything and you don't see any value. It is part of what makes this board interesting.

Actually, not so fast Kowalski :)
I do see plenty of value in numbers but I despise when they are thrown around without witnessing what those numbers are trying to represent. Sometimes they can be dam accurate but not always.

I saw a good deal of the Canes games last season and I can tell you they were not very good.... and that is why in that particular case throw those numbers out. This season I haven't seen them as much but when I have they are pretty much a one man team on offense and still quite often leave their goalie to fend for himself.

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
Early in the season I was all for tanking and ushering in the next generation to hopefully help Kane/Toews win a cup in 3-5 years, because, well the team sucked and was horrible to watch, but then Strome/Cat (and JC?) happened and they ARE the next generation and helping Kane/Toews win a cup has been moved to present-5 years.

Why keep waiting? A top pick this year isn't going to help the team now and maybe never will, but the current youth is already helping the team.
It appears Stan got the top five pick. I hate to do this but Strome really has changed the dynamic with this team.

So happy to see multiple lines that seem dangerous again.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Actually, not so fast Kowalski :)
I do see plenty of value in numbers but I despise when they are thrown around without witnessing what those numbers are trying to represent. Sometimes they can be dam accurate but not always.

I saw a good deal of the Canes games last season and I can tell you they were not very good.... and that is why in that particular case throw those numbers out. This season I haven't seen them as much but when I have they are pretty much a one man team on offense and still quite often leave their goalie to fend for himself.

Fair enough but in the past you have been rather dismissive.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Fair enough but in the past you have been rather dismissive.

I have..... but usually because these stats were often thrown around as if they were the bible or something and often contradicted posters thoughts via the eye test. The most blatant example was when Bickell was struggling later in his career in Chicago and a certain poster was playing it down - hyping up his possession numbers, trying to defy what the eye test revealed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad