Speculation: Playoff positioning

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Would say this team should be able to go at least 11-5-1 over the final 17 games (win most games you should, lose road games against good teams and split back to backs). Would mean Calgary needs to go something like 9-8-0 or 8-7-2 to be caught. Putting numbers to it, looks daunting. Going to take our guys getting super hot and going something like 13-4-0 down the stretch or Calgary completely crapping the bed.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I really dont want to play Vegas (Go Arizona!). I don't think we match up well against them at all. They are a fast team that is good in transition and can come in waves. A few things that have sunk us all year are odd-man rushes against, giving up goals in bunches, and giving up goals early in periods. Those are all things Vegas does well against us in particular.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Would say this team should be able to go at least 11-5-1 over the final 17 games (win most games you should, lose road games against good teams and split back to backs). Would mean Calgary needs to go something like 9-8-0 or 8-7-2 to be caught. Putting numbers to it, looks daunting. Going to take our guys getting super hot and going something like 13-4-0 down the stretch or Calgary completely crapping the bed.

It’s so much less daunting if we can beat Calgary in our H2H.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
It's difficult to see them catching Calgary, but I think the Sharks should be able to handle Vegas without too much trouble unless Fleury stands on his head or Jones utterly ****s the bed. In the next round, Calgary doesn't scare me much at all as their goaltending issues are even worse than ours. I'll be disappointed with anything less than a Conference Finals appearance.
Still plenty of games left.. Flames dropping 3 or 4 in a row isnt out of the question.
I still think we win the division.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
With Calgary’s loss in Vegas, the Sharks now control their destiny for the division.

In other words, if they win every game going forward (and they specifically beat Calgary in regulation), they will win the division regardless of anything that happens in any other game.

Reactions: Insignia

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Comparing the schedules it's still advantage Calgary. They only have 4 more games against playoff teams while 6 of the Sharks' next 7 are against playoff teams. 8 overall. I'd feel a lot better about our chances with a healthy Karlsson. Gotta hope Calgary chokes away some games against the non-playoff teams.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Comparing the schedules it's still advantage Calgary. They only have 4 more games against playoff teams while 6 of the Sharks' next 7 are against playoff teams. 8 overall. I'd feel a lot better about our chances with a healthy Karlsson. Gotta hope Calgary chokes away some games against the non-playoff teams.

I like to look at teams with a realistic chance to make the playoffs who really have something to play for. If you look at it that way, CBJ and ARI make it 6 for the Flames, while COL makes it 9 for us.

Flames still have a much easier schedule though. It’s seriously butter soft.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I like to look at teams with a realistic chance to make the playoffs who really have something to play for. If you look at it that way, CBJ and ARI make it 6 for the Flames, while COL makes it 9 for us.

Flames still have a much easier schedule though. It’s seriously butter soft.

Did they have a super tough schedule early in the year because it feels like they've had a butter soft schedule for the last few months.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
17 points up on the 2 2nd place teams. boston has 16 games left, calgary has 15 games left.

119 points max for calgary
121 points max for boston

so to clinch the presidents trophy they need 15/16 points depending on tie breakers.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
This is the first season in a while the Ducks aren't coming out of nowhere to climb back in the race. That's nice

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
This is the first season in a while the Ducks aren't coming out of nowhere to climb back in the race. That's nice

good-good-quickm-eme-comm-37904515.png

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The Flames are starting to burn out a little (Pun intended) while the Sharks are playing good despite injuries. I can see us winning the division.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Flames have the easier schedule, but we have 9 of 15 at home and are the hotter and better team imo. I like our chances. Could come down to the head to head meeting on the 31st at SAP. Mark your calendars for that one.

Reactions: Makoshark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad