Speculation: Playoff positioning

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
It's difficult to see them catching Calgary, but I think the Sharks should be able to handle Vegas without too much trouble unless Fleury stands on his head or Jones utterly shits the bed. In the next round, Calgary doesn't scare me much at all as their goaltending issues are even worse than ours. I'll be disappointed with anything less than a Conference Finals appearance.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sharks and Flames each have 17 games left. Sharks are currently 5 points behind Calgary.

Let’s say a playoff team is a team in a spot, a bubble team is within 5 points of a playoff spot, a bottom feeder is >5 points out.

Flames have 5 against playoff teams, 2 against bubble teams, and 9 against bottom feeders.

Sharks have 7 against playoff teams, 1 against a bubble team, and 8 against bottom feeders.

Then they’ve also got a game against each other.

The Sharks could definitely overtake Calgary for the Western Conference but I don’t see Calgary losing more than 2 of those games against bottom feeders. The Sharks are too many games behind with a slightly tougher schedule and they’re going to be missing Erik Karlsson for most of those games.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Won’t be easy but IF we beat the Hawks tonight and Cgy looses to Toronto and Vegas in regulation - which isn’t a stretch - we could only be 3 points behind with a game in hand when the puck drops against Montreal. Flames have the easier schedule, but I’m not counting us out.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I don't care on the final standings, all Im hoping is that the Sharks start playing consistently better. I think we're all certain we have the scoring depth to match most teams, we just have to get that defensive game up to standard. I think if we do that, it won't matter who we play in the finals on the Western Conference side. Jets are probably my most feared.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Sharks aren’t winning the division unless the flames start to mom’s spaghetti themselves

They may as well start prepping for a Vegas rematch

lucky0slevin

Aug 9, 2011
I mean they lost against the wild last night... they are not very good and were outshot by a 2-1 margin... flames coule be flaming out or easily go on a losing streak

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
It's difficult to see them catching Calgary, but I think the Sharks should be able to handle Vegas without too much trouble unless Fleury stands on his head or Jones utterly ****s the bed. In the next round, Calgary doesn't scare me much at all as their goaltending issues are even worse than ours. I'll be disappointed with anything less than a Conference Finals appearance.

You're breaking LS's heart with that statement. You know she made the exact same post over in the LVK forum, correct? And, she does the GDT sometimes there too.

Or maybe she's backing both teams in a series matchup for the automatic win? haha.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I find it interesting that some of you are so sure the Sharks are going to finish 2nd in the division. I guess I’m not built that way. The Sharks are 5 points down with 17 games to play. To me, that’s pretty much a coin toss. The team that plays better down the stretch is going to win the division. Go Sharks!

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I know it’s just one game they lost Flames have been on fire even given that. With a win tonight will be within three points. Then they have the leafs and Vegas and we Chicago and the Canadians so it’s very possible within a few days we could be one point behind. To me if we’re going to make that little bit a push it’s going to be right now as were five back and have Montreal in Chicago what they got to play Toronto Vegas. In Vegas twice in the next four games will see what happens

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
You're breaking LS's heart with that statement. You know she made the exact same post over in the LVK forum, correct? And, she does the GDT sometimes there too.

Or maybe she's backing both teams in a series matchup for the automatic win? haha.

LS is pretty jawesome, but I’m hoping that if we play Vegas again in the playoffs, we beat them so badly the NHL just cancels the franchise.

Reactions: landshark

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

:biglaugh:.

I have yet to miss a game (PS, RS or PO) that the Sharks have played in Nevada. :D

Reactions: CrazedZooChimp

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Mike Smith you're our only hope! Although he probably won't get a start again for a while after yesterday.
ZomboMeme 03032019111924.jpg

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
LS is pretty jawesome, but I’m hoping that if we play Vegas again in the playoffs, we beat them so badly the NHL just cancels the franchise.

Last year I didn’t feel great about the matchup to begin with, even so with likely better roster choices bone head coaching and fleury we likely win that series.

This year I’m all about it. This rematch if it happens reminds me after la embarrassed us and we played them the next year.

The reverse sweep was the worst but Vegas not far behind in my eyes.

Sharks are a prideful group and usually get retribution on the scoresheet more times then not.

I don’t see the sharks getting ousted in the first round unless 3-4 key injuries happen.

The fact that’s it Vegas who they lost too, makes it even more unlikely too me. Vegas will not have there way with us again. If we do play them look forward to taking them out along with there money as I’m betting heavy on sharks

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
I don't believe in jinxes so here's my power ranking of who I'd most prefer to play in the first round:

Vancouver - Outside of Pettersson, and to a lesser degree Horvat and Boeser, they're the most beatable.
Edmonton - Would be my most preferred if it weren't for McDavid and German Ovi.
Arizona - Yes, they're hot right now but I feel we match very well against them.
Minnesota - Tough to read this team. Lost their captain, Dubnyk has been erratic.
Vegas
Dallas
Chicago - Their core has playoff pedigree. Crawford is back and has time to get into form.
Colorado - I don't care that they're a one line time. That's an elite line and it scares me.

Also got to wonder if whoever secures that last Wild Card spot is on a bit of a roll come playoff time. A more complacent Vegas may be a blessing in disguise as opposed to whatever Wild Card team earned their seed with a late season surge.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Last year I didn’t feel great about the matchup to begin with, even so with likely better roster choices bone head coaching and fleury we likely win that series.

This year I’m all about it. This rematch if it happens reminds me after la embarrassed us and we played them the next year.

The reverse sweep was the worst but Vegas not far behind in my eyes.

Sharks are a prideful group and usually get retribution on the scoresheet more times then not.

I don’t see the sharks getting ousted in the first round unless 3-4 key injuries happen.

The fact that’s it Vegas who they lost too, makes it even more unlikely too me. Vegas will not have there way with us again. If we do play them look forward to taking them out along with there money as I’m betting heavy on sharks

I'm not confident at all against Vegas but I do agree that the Sharks should be super motivated against Vegas. They basically owned Vancouver and LA ever since they knocked us out of the playoffs although some of that has to do with their rosters getting weaker over the years. Still although Vegas has been struggling to score they could pull a Kings and find their scoring touch in the playoffs. Their possession stats are still pretty good and they outshoot teams most nights.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Just to put it in perspective, there are fewer points in between Arizona and Vegas than there are between us and Calgary. People underestimate how hard it is to make up five points in the last 20% of the season.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I don’t want to play Arizona in the playoffs. Trap series, you ask me. We always seem to play down to those guys and end up losing.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Just to put it in perspective, there are fewer points in between Arizona and Vegas than there are between us and Calgary. People underestimate how hard it is to make up five points in the last 20% of the season.

I agree with the premise of this, but we’re only 5 points behind Calgary; Arizona is 6 points behind Vegas. (Although Arizona does have a game in hand)

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

We also play calgary what 2 times more? So could actually be 1 point back. Or vice versa it could go way out of reach by losing both those games and being 9 points back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->