Injury Report: Playoff Injury Reports

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I saw CK stand still on a play with the puck 3 feet away. I do not believe he was playing at 100%. If he was that is scary.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
it's completely possible that Copp had a chronic injury that won't require surgery

Panarin on the other hand......jesus christ. still really holding out hope he was hurt or something

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Kakko might become good, but if your 5v5 is great and you are a 25 point player, that counts as good? If your 5v5 is slightly worse and you pot 90 points, you're a slug?

In the cap era, things like this do matter.

a 25 point great 5 v 5 third line player MIGHT get 3 million on the open market. Bonus if you're Barclay Goodrow obviously.

If you don't play a lick of defense and score 80 points (Ahem, Monahan) someone will pay you 7+

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Regarding panarin I will say again there was a lingering/significant injury last year that spilled into the offseason and may very well be the reason for the change in style we saw from him over the past season as more of a perimeter passing player as opposed to the guy that wasn't quite so worried about penetrating the middle of the ice with his illusiveness. This is not speculation...

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Regarding panarin I will say again there was a lingering/significant injury last year that spilled into the offseason and may very well be the reason for the change in style we saw from him over the past season as more of a perimeter passing player as opposed to the guy that wasn't quite so worried about penetrating the middle of the ice with his illusiveness. This is not speculation...
Are you able to elaborate?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
In the cap era, things like this do matter.

a 25 point great 5 v 5 third line player MIGHT get 3 million on the open market. Bonus if you're Barclay Goodrow obviously.

If you don't play a lick of defense and score 80 points (Ahem, Monahan) someone will pay you 7+
I believe Panarin's Corsi numbers were better than Goodrow's.

Panarin ain't Monahan.

Losing Panarin would be incredibly worse for the Rangers than losing Goodrow.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I believe Panarin's Corsi numbers were better than Goodrow's.

Panarin ain't Monahan.

Losing Panarin would be incredibly worse for the Rangers than losing Goodrow.

Oh I agree with you, wasn't responding to the specific player debate so much as the principle of a 90 point drifter.

Guys like Nik Zherdev can be a net negative to a roster even hitting 55 points because of cost, TOI and defensive play.

Reactions: LokiDog

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Let's hope the injury is in the past and he'll be able to build himself back up again this off season.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

This isn’t surprising from an on ice perspective, but it is surprising from a word class organization perspective in that, I wonder what type of injury from LAST April can have a ripple effect all the way into the following June. If it’s a physical ailment that has plagued him for that long, it feels like, even though he was able to play, it would be the type of thing that would have made sense for us to rest or address with whatever type of rehab is necessary.

Or are we speculating (not about whether there was an injury, I believe you entirely) that, because the injury lingered into the offseason, it effected his training and preparation, which in turn effected his performance?

Even so, you’d think that anything ailing him physically would have subsided over a year later, so are we talking about psychological ramifications that impacted his ability to attack the center of the ice and accept a little bit of contact to make a play? In that case, while I empathize, it’s still concerning as… if you haven’t mentally recovered over a year later, and are only getting older, how confident are we that he will ever mentally be as tenacious and confident with the puck as he once was?

I certainly hope it’s something that a full off season and another year removed can remedy and he can get back to being closer to that first year. I get that his first year here was special - I don’t expect that to be his standard, but he’s better than his PLAY was this year, even despite the totals - I don’t want to see him continue getting 40% of his points on the PP. It would be the most Rangers thing ever if Panarin had an injury in a meaningless game at the end of the season that led to a turning point in his career.

Last edited:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
This isn’t surprising from an on ice perspective, but it is surprising from a word class organization perspective in that, I wonder what type of injury from LAST April can have a ripple effect all the way into the following June. If it’s a physical ailment that has plagued him for that long, it feels like, even though he was able to play, it would be the type of thing that would have made sense for us to rest or address with whatever type of rehab is necessary.

Or are we speculating (not about whether there was an injury, I believe you entirely) that, because the injury lingered into the offseason, it effected his training and preparation, which in turn effected his performance?

Even so, you’d think that anything ailing him physically would have subsided over a year later, so are we talking about psychological ramifications that impacted his ability to attack the center of the ice and accept a little bit of contact to make a play? In that case, while I empathize, it’s still concerning as… if you haven’t mentally recovered over a year later, and are only getting older, how confident are we that he will ever mentally be as tenacious and confident with the puck as he once was?

I certainly hope it’s something that a full off season and another year removed can remedy and he can get back to being closer to that first year. I get that his first year here was special - I don’t expect that to be his standard, but he’s better than his PLAY was this year, even despite the totals - I don’t want to see him continue getting 40% of his points on the PP. It would be the most Rangers thing ever if Panarin had an injury in a meaningless game at the end of the season that led to a turning point in his career.
Inability to do a full offseason training program can affect the entire following season, not just the early months of the season. You’re starting with a lesser foundation and regular season schedule doesn’t really give you time to catch up. Hopefully Panarin can start fresh this summer after a few weeks R&R.

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
Hmmm…wonder what happened to the guy at the end of last year…

Wilson_garbage_2.gif

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Here’s another way of looking at it.

Panarin was 56th in the NHL in 5v5 goal differential this year. He was 53rd last year. His first year here he was 1st in the NHL.

His first year here, no one on the ice was a bigger positive impact in the entire league, at 5v5. The past two years he isn’t even top 50. The years prior he was 10th and 15th.

He had 95 points his first year here and the best 5v5 goal differential in the league. He had 96 points this year and had the 56th best 5v5 goal differential. That means those same 95 points were far less impactful.

He’s being paid to be that top 10-20 impact player. Being in the 50s is not okay. He had
Remember, that differential this year includes an historic performance from his goalie. How bad does that differential become with league average goaltending?

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
If Panarin is still laboring from an injury that happened over a year ago it’s gotta be a concussion issue and that’s why he’s afraid of contact and going to the dirty areas.
Awful news if so. It does look like Wilson bangs Panarin's head on the ice pretty bad from the video.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Hmmm…wonder what happened to the guy at the end of last year…

Wilson_garbage_2.gif
Watching this video still just makes me furious. You have a scrum like this and both linesman are worried about two guys laying on the ice not doing anything, one could've at least turned to see what was going on else where, and typically the refs wont get involved but in this case I was surprised one didnt. They have to be aware of which players are on the ice in that situation. I respect the officials have a hard job but the whole thing was such a mess.

If Panarin is still laboring from an injury that happened over a year ago it’s gotta be a concussion issue and that’s why he’s afraid of contact and going to the dirty areas.
I never said he is laboring from it today. My words were chosen very carefully in the post.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004

As I said to another poster, reread the post. The wording in it is chosen very specifically.

Reactions: NCRanger

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Panarin doesn't kick like he use to.
That is something unrelated and I have wondered about that for most of the year. I was curious if he had a groin strain but I actually thought he had plenty of explosiveness towards the end when he wanted to, he just didn't want the physical contact or the risk of it. Because he wouldn't get to the middle and rarely tried to go around d men (both plays that lend to the risk of physical contact) he rarely was in shooting positions and I think that is why he overpassed all the time. It was so frustrating to watch because we KNOW he can do it, we've seen him do it. There just didn't seem to be a desire to go to the contact areas most of the season.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
That is something unrelated and I have wondered about that for most of the year. I was curious if he had a groin strain but I actually thought he had plenty of explosiveness towards the end when he wanted to, he just didn't want the physical contact or the risk of it. Because he wouldn't get to the middle and rarely tried to go around d men (both plays that lend to the risk of physical contact) he rarely was in shooting positions and I think that is why he overpassed all the time. It was so frustrating to watch because we KNOW he can do it, we've seen him do it. There just didn't seem to be a desire to go to the contact areas most of the season.
They don't have his 21-22 goals on YouTube yet but if you go back and look at his previous seasons with the Rangers a lot of his goals were from below the dots and going to the net. He was also featured in Mika's spot on the PP. I don't recall him going to the net much this season.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
They don't have his 21-22 goals on YouTube yet but if you go back and look at his previous seasons with the Rangers a lot of his goals were from below the dots and going to the net. He was also featured in Mika's spot on the PP. I don't recall him going to the net much this season.
I never really understood displacing mika from his trigger spot at the start of the year. once they switched him back there his game took off and their pp did as well, but yes panarin did not drive the net this year anywhere near like he did in the past and it showed over the course of the year

Reactions: Ruggs225 and CLW

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I never really understood displacing mika from his trigger spot at the start of the year. once they switched him back there his game took off and their pp did as well, but yes panarin did not drive the net this year anywhere near like he did in the past and it showed over the course of the year
Yeah once Mika's shot was in place again he got going funny enough. Before that both he and the shot were all over the place.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00