Injury Report: Playoff Injury Reports

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Regardless of if he was injured in the playoffs, I hope this run lights a fire under Panarin's ass. Dude came to camp clearly out of shape, and I really think it haunted him all season. He was still a gamebreaker at times, but a diminished version of what he was the prior season, at least to my eyes.
Yeah, I don't think he came as prepared as he did the previous 2 seasons. I think he knows he didn't perform as well as he could, and I think he sees that the team has a real shot of contending now. I really hope the whole team sees how close they are and really uses this offseason to get ready for a big push next season.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It's bullshit they don't come out and tell us the injuries as they used to do after the season ended. I want to know what the issues were. Did they have COVID? Just be honest. The f***ing season is over.
Have to wonder if HIPAA applies to hockey players and if a player doesn't want injuries broadcast, the team can't disclose them (for whatever reason except for COVID).

Used to be that it was the first thing that came out of breakup day, that someone was playing with three cracked ribs, etc. Last few years, don't hear too much.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Have to wonder if HIPAA applies to hockey players and if a player doesn't want injuries broadcast, the team can't disclose them (for whatever reason except for COVID).

Used to be that it was the first thing that came out of breakup day, that someone was playing with three cracked ribs, etc. Last few years, don't hear too much.

I need to know why Kreider looked the way he did. I need to know why Panarin was a shell. If not, I am worried...

Reactions: Captain Monglobster

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I need to know why Kreider looked the way he did. I need to know why Panarin was a shell. If not, I am worried...
I've been wondering if Panarin has been playing with a torn labrum for a while. He kind of stopped shooting in December and then really didn't shoot at all after the February break. Maybe getting hit near the end of the season did all the damage needed to make him gun shy about any kind of contact.

Kreider? I doubt he's all that injured. He needs others to create his chances unless he can get a step on someone. I think his issues were more because his line was taking on a de-facto defensive role.

Reactions: CasusBelli

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
To me with Panarin - yeah he may have been limited in some way physically, be it hands or wrist or core or something - but whatever it was - it didn't affect his decision making which was dreadful at times 5 on 5.

He would make backhand outlet passes into the middle ice or throw passes at the opposition blueline through seams that weren't there, cross ice passes in zone through 4 guys - high danger, low success plays that you just cant do in the playoffs. That has nothing to do with physical injuries, thats all decision making. Especially all of the backhand giveaways. Waaaaay too many.

Its even more inexcuseable if he had an injury that affected his stickhandling because if he knew going in he wasnt 100%, he should make the safe play instead.

He got better at supporting his teammates in his own zone as the playoffs went on, but even that was difficult for him as he loves to float up top to spring the break outs. He was on an island in a lot of the games they lost and it resulted in a lot of high danger chances against his line.

I get it - you dont want to neuter your top players and take away their skill - but theres a time and place. Kucherov is a very skilled player and an elite passer, but he knows when and when not to force plays. That is something I hope Panarin noticed in his own game and is more prepared next playoffs, because this team will not win a Cup without him being a difference maker and making smart plays in all zones.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I honestly doubt we ever win a Cup with Panarin and that if we could move him somehow and use his Cap space we get way better value = addition by subtraction . Utilize his cap to sign KK/Laf/Miller long term I read on the Net today that no club has ever won a Cup with a 10 Million dollar forward on the club .....is that true ?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
We'll see what comes of the injuries. Not taking yesterday as the be all end all for anything.

Would it really surprise anyone if we see a tweet from NYR 5 days from now saying "X player underwent X surgery today at X hospital performed by X doctor. The recovery time is 4-6 months"?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
We'll see what comes of the injuries. Not taking yesterday as the be all end all for anything.

Would it really surprise anyone if we see a tweet from NYR 5 days from now saying "X player underwent X surgery today at X hospital performed by X doctor. The recovery time is 4-6 months"?

Outside of Strome, yeah I'd be really surprised.

Reactions: PalmCoastRanger

Brother Mouzone

May 23, 2014
Trouba had to have a case of BrockNelsonitis
200.gif

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Staple’s podcast said:

Motte still dealing with whatever was ailing him
Goodrow ankle not close to healthy
Strome’s pelvis/core has been an issue since before the playoffs
Lindgren obviously

That was pretty much it

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I didn’t realize Strome was hurting before the Tampa series. Assumed Panarin and Copp were dealing with major injuries, not Strome.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
I didn’t realize Strome was hurting before the Tampa series. Assumed Panarin and Copp were dealing with major injuries, not Strome.

I'm not saying I don't believe Strome, but he also benefits by giving himself some cover by saying his injuries were also in the regular season. This was a contract year and his production is not what he or his agent needed.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Copp definitely had the lingering knee issue that caused him to miss the last few games of the regular season. If I had to guess, he had a pretty bad knee sprain that'll just heal naturally after a month or so of rehab and rest

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I'm not saying I don't believe Strome, but he also benefits by giving himself some cover by saying his injuries were also in the regular season. This was a contract year and his production is not what he or his agent needed.
This is my terribly biased interpretation as well. This is a PR campaign to calm the outrage when we resign this passenger.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Regardless of if he was injured in the playoffs, I hope this run lights a fire under Panarin's ass. Dude came to camp clearly out of shape, and I really think it haunted him all season. He was still a gamebreaker at times, but a diminished version of what he was the prior season, at least to my eyes.
Are you talking about the same Panarin that put up 96 points in 75 games or a different Panarin?

Reactions: BreadKick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad