Players who deserve their numbers to be raised up to the rafters

Goose312

May 15, 2015
And not to be too cold blooded here, but what exactly has he meant? Basically we'd be hanging his number for a) being an early franchise pick, and b) not leaving. I feel like that's a pretty low bar.
First permanent captain, captain for over a decade, most franchise games at over 1000+ games with the team, franchise points leader with 300+ points over second, stuck around on garbage teams for most of his time here with no complaint. If he's how we are setting the bar I don't know how many players you think end up with their numbers in the rafters but in the nearly 20 year team history including the entire current roster no one else is even remotely close.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
First permanent captain, captain for over a decade, most franchise games at over 1000+ games with the team, franchise points leader with 300+ points over second, stuck around on garbage teams for most of his time here with no complaint. If he's how we are setting the bar I don't know how many players you think end up with their numbers in the rafters but in the nearly 20 year team history including the entire current roster no one else is even remotely close.
Also, Suter likely won't end up as the scoring leader for Wild defenseman anyway considering Dumba is only 68pts behind him at this point. Dumba will likely run away with that category.

That takes away one of Suter's only arguements that already brings him up short of Koivu.

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
Bergeron is the only lock to me, lifer, elite 2 way center, can set the selke record if he can just stay healthy 1 of the next 2 seasons. Chara is a close and I get all the things hes done but I just dont know. Bruins set a bad precedent retiring Terry O'Reilly's number so now its fair game for anyone who was popular with the fans at this point.
Are you out of your mind?The man was the heart and soul of the bruins like it or not,played the game the way it was supposed to be played...bled for it and to me was the ultimate big bad bruin!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Again, under that criteria you're retiring his number for being a good player that didn't leave. That's a low bar.

I think that if Koivu gets his number hung, you'll probably be able to make compelling cases for Parise, Suter, Dubnyk, Granlund and maybe Zucker. Of course, it all depends on certain things like health (Parise) and continuing to play for the franchise (Granlund, Zucker).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Also, Suter likely won't end up as the scoring leader for Wild defenseman anyway considering Dumba is only 68pts behind him at this point. Dumba will likely run away with that category.

That takes away one of Suter's only arguements that already brings him up short of Koivu.

And Granlund will probably pass Koivu. So that takes away one of Koivu's only arguments.

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
Will Mikko Koivu have his number raised in Minnesota? He was never an elite player, but he was a rock solid defence first kind of player who was still good offensively. What do you think?

Sorry, this has apparently already been discussed. I should read all the pages before posting.

Last edited:

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Thornton and Marleau will no doubt have their numbers retired once they retire in SJ.

Burns, Pavelski, and Couture all have a decent shot some day too provided they stick around and keep an elite level of play. EK65 is also likely if we end up resigning him.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
And Granlund will probably pass Koivu. So that takes away one of Koivu's only arguments.
Granlund's career scoring pace is still behind Koivu's.

Granlund isn't even an alternate captain let alone the team's only permanent captain ever.

Granlund isn't the face of the franchise, which Koivu has been for well over a decade.

Sorry, you're not going to convince me and I won't convince you, so this discussion is an exercise in futility.

In the end Koivu will likely have his number in the rafters at the X, and likely no other player currently here is on track at the moment for that honor either.

Reactions: AKL

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Granlund's career scoring pace is still behind Koivu's.

Granlund isn't even an alternate captain let alone the team's only permanent captain ever.

Granlund isn't the face of the franchise, which Koivu has been for well over a decade.

Sorry, you're not going to convince me and I won't convince you, so this discussion is an exercise in futility.

In the end Koivu will likely have his number in the rafters at the X, and likely no other player currently here is on track at the moment for that honor either.

Barely behind.

The face of a franchise that has barely accomplished anything.

This discussion is an exercise in communication.

It'll look good next the fans' #1.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Again, under that criteria you're retiring his number for being a good player that didn't leave. That's a low bar.

I think that if Koivu gets his number hung, you'll probably be able to make compelling cases for Parise, Suter, Dubnyk, Granlund and maybe Zucker. Of course, it all depends on certain things like health (Parise) and continuing to play for the franchise (Granlund, Zucker).
That's not at all what I'm saying, you're over simplifying while also selectively picking out certain arguments. Did you miss the whole "captain for a decade" part? Or "franchise leader in points by a huge margin?" There's no single category by itself that makes a player worthy of having their number retired, but the package as a whole does. If Brodin sticks around on the 2nd pair for another 600+ games I'm not going to say his number should be retired "for being a good player that didn't leave" because he isn't nearly as important to the franchise as Koivu has been.

Reactions: TaLoN

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
He's meant as much to the Wild as Trevor Linden and Neal Broten meant to their franchise's.

I don't think that's a low bar at all. It's a pretty rare standing to reach from what I've seen across the league.

You and I have disagreed on this for some time and I don't see that changing.
Linden and Broten shouldn't have their numbers retired either.

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
Anaheim

Giguere
Getzlaf

What about Perry? He had a brief but still great peak and solid prime. I personally wouldnt put his number up but he has a case i think. Glad Anaheim eventually put Kariya's number up there. Great player he was.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That's not at all what I'm saying, you're over simplifying while also selectively picking out certain arguments. Did you miss the whole "captain for a decade" part? Or "franchise leader in points by a huge margin?" There's no single category by itself that makes a player worthy of having their number retired, but the package as a whole does. If Brodin sticks around on the 2nd pair for another 600+ games I'm not going to say his number should be retired "for being a good player that didn't leave" because he isn't nearly as important to the franchise as Koivu has been.

If you're the franchise's 2nd pick ever, and you're a top 10 pick, and you're still playing with the club 17 years later, then you should be the franchise leader in points by a huge margin. If you look at the spots #2-#10 in our franchise ranks, it's not a huge accomplishment.

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
If you're the franchise's 2nd pick ever, and you're a top 10 pick, and you're still playing with the club 17 years later, then you should be the franchise leader in points by a huge margin. If you look at the spots #2-#10 in our franchise ranks, it's not a huge accomplishment.

Circumstances? What was his supporting cast when he was in his prime? Don't you think that means something? Not to mention all the injuries. I think you are being too harsh.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Circumstances? What was his supporting cast when he was in his prime? Don't you think that means something? Not to mention all the injuries. I think you are being too harsh.

The supporting cast wasn't good. I'll fully admit it. I don't think I'm being too harsh. It's not like I'm advocating giving him no honor. I 100% want us to establish a Ring of Honor and/or a Wild HoF and I want Koivu to be the 1st inductee. In no way am I calling him bad, and in no way do I dislike him. I just think making it so #9 cannot be worn by any future player is going too far, based on what he has accomplished (or hasn't accomplished).

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Lundqvist will 10000% have his retired. Best goalie in the history of an O6 franchise and likely top 15 all time when all is said and done.
:lol: I think the Habs had this goalie named Patrick Roy (aka the greatest goaltender of all time) playing for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad