Players who deserve their numbers to be raised up to the rafters

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
37 is a no-brainer. I’m not as keen on 33 going up, but it likely will.

40 and 63 just aren’t as successful and talented. Rask has carried the Bruins to one Finals appearance - hardly “retirement worthy.” There are four other Bruins goalies with Cup Championships and none of them have a number retired. Marchand isn’t even an alternate captain on the Bruins. As much as I like him, I don’t think 63 goes up.

Marchand has been wearing the A lately actually. He'd need to keep this up another few years and win another Cup to have a chance.

Chara and Bergeron are automatic. Rask has no chance.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
He left for his family... is that so terrible?

he walked out on an active contract that he chose to sign and left the team with a big cap mess while he was at it,he's even the one that pushed for it to be a 3 year deal in the first place

players like that should never have their numbers f***ing retired

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Lundqvist will 10000% have his retired. Best goalie in the history of an O6 franchise and likely top 15 all time when all is said and done.

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State
Bergeron is the only lock to me, lifer, elite 2 way center, can set the selke record if he can just stay healthy 1 of the next 2 seasons. Chara is a close and I get all the things hes done but I just dont know. Bruins set a bad precedent retiring Terry O'Reilly's number so now its fair game for anyone who was popular with the fans at this point.

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Marchand has been wearing the A lately actually. He'd need to keep this up another few years and win another Cup to have a chance.

Haven’t been able to pay as close attention because I’m working a 2-10 shift at a new site. Good for Marchand. I know they’ve tried to give him an A before. Hope it sticks one of these days.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I don't think clubs should be retiring guys unless they were part of really successful teams, so cup winners, or at least multiple time finalists. An exception could be made for a hall of famer maybe who spent like 10-15 years on the roster but even then that's iffy IMO if he never won anything or even got close.

So that said the obvious from the past 10 years are the keys guys from the LA & Chicago wins. Chara & Bergeron. Getzlaf & Perry. Crosby & Malkin.

So Hank who realistically wont win a cup but played his entire career on the Rangers breaking every franchise record doesnt get his number retired? Yeah okay. Thank god you have no say in how teams handle there business.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Bergeron is the only lock to me, lifer, elite 2 way center, can set the selke record if he can just stay healthy 1 of the next 2 seasons. Chara is a close and I get all the things hes done but I just dont know. Bruins set a bad precedent retiring Terry O'Reilly's number so now its fair game for anyone who was popular with the fans at this point.
Chara turned the franchise back around. He is a lock.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Bergeron is the only lock to me, lifer, elite 2 way center, can set the selke record if he can just stay healthy 1 of the next 2 seasons. Chara is a close and I get all the things he’s done but I just dont know. Bruins set a bad precedent retiring Terry O'Reilly's number so now its fair game for anyone who was popular with the fans at this point.

I agree 100% with this.

member 157595

Brett Lebda in Toronto. Who else can be -3 in a 9-3 win? #generational

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Too much of their time was spent away from the Wild. Mikko has been here his entire career. Only #9 imo.

Suter will end up as our franchise leader for defenseman scoring and was better at his position during his time here than Koivu was.

Parise will likely end up our leading goal scorer.

If we're going to lower the bar for Koivu, other guys are going to have cases to get in.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
what about 91? He also had some tense issues with the franchise.

him I kind of understand either way,though i'd lean slightly more towards retiring it than not if I had to pick

i'd be upset if Datsyuk got retired and not Fedorov though since I consider what Datsyuk did far more severe

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
him I kind of understand either way,though i'd lean slightly more towards retiring it than not if I had to pick

i'd be upset if Datsyuk got retired and not Fedorov though since I consider what Datsyuk did far more severe
Wings were done once lidstrom retired anyways , datz would just keep your team a bit more mediocre .

And is leaving with one year left on your contract for family / emotional reasons so much worse than leaving with three for physical reasons ?

And to toss his contract they traded down from 16 - 20 or chychrun for cholowiski which may end up being a good move .

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Suter will end up as our franchise leader for defenseman scoring and was better at his position during his time here than Koivu was.

Parise will likely end up our leading goal scorer.

If we're going to lower the bar for Koivu, other guys are going to have cases to get in.
You're discounting reasons beyond stats that Koivu has here that they never will.

Stats alone, none of them deserve their numbers retired. Add in what Mikko has meant to the franchise through his entire career, he's the only one of them who qualify.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
2 former Sabres who I'd like to see have their numbers raised to the Coliseum rafters in the next two+ seasons before Belmont: Turgeon (after the wrong of him not being in the Hall is corrected) and LaFontaine. Also the team has it's own Hall Of Fame and I have absolutely no idea why a yearly induction doesn't take place because there are tons of worthy recipients over the team's 47 year history (hell, there are several guys you could put in that just from the 93 team alone).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You're discounting reasons beyond stats that Koivu has here that they never will.

Stats alone, none of them deserve their numbers retired. Add in what Mikko has meant to the franchise through his entire career, he's the only one of them who qualify.

And not to be too cold blooded here, but what exactly has he meant? Basically we'd be hanging his number for a) being an early franchise pick, and b) not leaving. I feel like that's a pretty low bar.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The Sabres absolutely should officially retire Mogilny's number. At his peak he was our greatest non-goalie ever and in terms of peak greatness wasn't far off from Hasek. I still remember my dad (a Rangers fan) telling me that he was the one player in hockey that he would buy a ticket just to see. Also think Housley probably deserves this honor as well.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
And not to be too cold blooded here, but what exactly has he meant? Basically we'd be hanging his number for a) being an early franchise pick, and b) not leaving. I feel like that's a pretty low bar.
He's meant as much to the Wild as Trevor Linden and Neal Broten meant to their franchise's.

I don't think that's a low bar at all. It's a pretty rare standing to reach from what I've seen across the league.

You and I have disagreed on this for some time and I don't see that changing.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He's meant as much to the Wild as Trevor Linden and Neal Broten meant to their franchise's.

I don't think that's a low bar at all. It's a pretty rare standing to reach from what I've seen across the league.

You and I have disagreed on this for some time and I don't see that changing.

Both of them at least went to a Cup final, and who is to say you have to go and make a mistake just because others have done the same.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Both of them at least went to a Cup final, and who is to say you have to go and make a mistake just because others have done the same.
I don't see those others as a mistake.

Cups are team accomplishments, retiring a number is respecting an individual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad