Players who are dirty but get often not called for it

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Chara for sure, guy can do almost anything and rarely gets called. Weber is up there as well. For some reason refs love their "tough" defenders.

Reactions: Fixxer

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec
Shea Weber.

His cross check on Grabner here is a prime example

Also this fiasco (he was called for it, but got a measly $2,500 fine)

Oh man, I had almost forgotten that head bang. Back then I had a sweet spot for the wings and absolutely despised Weber after that. It’s one of the things that came to my mind when he was traded to the habs. I guess fandom rewires your brain!

Reactions: Stive Morgan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Half the Bruins Roster. McAvoy/Debrusk/Pasternak/Carlo. Chara too but he aint a bruin anymore

Malkin and Shea Weber as well

Simply amazing! Before this season with a but of added toughness in Miller, Ritchie, Frederic, Lauzon... this was the softest team in the league the last few seasons.

Carlo? I spit up my coffee. He fights one Leafs player and suddenly he is dirty.... thank-you. I daresay the hatred is a manner of deflecting blame on the Leafs for how the playoffs have gone? Pastrnak? Debrusk?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
What? When? How?
He's not some blatant dirty player like a marchand or wilson. He's more of a sneaky dirty player. Its just something I've noticed over the years of watching hockey. He gets away with a lot of stick work and little things.

tvilling

Jan 17, 2021
A couple seasons ago in the playoffs 6'9" Chara left his feet on a hit against a Toronto player. At his height I was baffled as to why he felt the need to leap into it anyway but was more confused how the refs don't call someone his size jumping into a hit.

He's been using the Derian Hatcher method for years now. Commit a penalty every shift and eventually the refs will stop calling them because it would seem outrageous to keep penalizing a player that often.
Jesus, you are right.....great tactic, only the lowest of lowest scum would do something like that though. So he and Marchand said, great idea boss!

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
He's not some blatant dirty player like a marchand or wilson. He's more of a sneaky dirty player. Its just something I've noticed over the years of watching hockey. He gets away with a lot of stick work and little things.

Now that you say it like that, I might agree. Never really noticed even though I've been watching him regularly ever since he joined the Wild.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
All big defensemen cross check but Weber knows and liberally targets the soft spot just above the pants or on the rib cage. He does get away with it a lot and with his strength it really hurts players.
I don't like however guys like Matthews or his agent running to the media complaining about it.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
As a Caps fan, Garnet Hathaway doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt from me ... just to many times he is looking for accidentally on purpose unnecessary contact and to agitate. But he gets called, he’s not that good at disguising it so I’m not sure he fits what the OP is calling for.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
All big defensemen cross check but Weber knows and liberally targets the soft spot just above the pants or on the rib cage. He does get away with it a lot and with his strength it really hurts players.
I don't like however guys like Matthews or his agent running to the media complaining about it.

Maybe the media shouldn't have asked him a question about it?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby snuck up behind a player and deliberately slashed the guy's testicles with the official staring right at him. No call.

And then after the game Crosby lied and said it was an accident. And then several members of the Canadian media nominated him for a sportsmanship award a few weeks later. This was all within a few weeks of the Methot slash too.

Being a 'good Canadian boy' has its perks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad