Players we could offer “prove it” contracts to

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
bolded players are players who have already “proved” that they are not good enough to be anything more than a 13th forward at most and I have italicized players that at most are 4th liners next year.

The targets being discussed in this thread are currently better than every single one of those players we “need to make room for” and likely better than any of them will ever be outside of Rasmussen.

Trim the fat. We’re going to be bad, but we need SOME NHL talent on this team. Idk if people realize how demoralizing it is to play on a truly terrible team. Adding at least one NHL caliber player allows for our younger players to play with better talent, thus aiding deveopment. If we’re even as good as NJ next year I’ll count that as a huge win for the psychology of this franchise.

If more than one of Erne, Perlini, or Ehn are on this team full time, it’s very telling. There is next to no downside on adding youngish players like Haula or Gustafson at this point unless you’re concerned that going from 31st to 27th-28th destroys are lottery odds too much or care about a billionaire family’s money. We either gain NHL talent that can be used in the future and helps young development of our players that don’t suck, get some assets to flip at TDL, or at worst they suck in years we are going to suck anyways.

This is not Buffalo adding Jeff Skinner and signing him to a terrible contract. This is the same mindset that gave us Fabbri only this time for no assets other than money

Regardless, we're not losing Abdelkader or Nielsen.
Flip, Glendening and Helm are here until at least the trade deadline.
Our suckass coach is coming back - and often, if you give him an NHL veteran - he's going to use him.

I'd rather head into this season with the chance of Svechnikov getting a top 9 role.
I also wouldn't mind seeing Givani Smith get a shot, even if in a 4th line role.

So I'm not really all that concerned about signing a veteran - wasting 40-50 games on him with the hopes we trade him for a third rounder...

When we've got prospects who've made it this far and need a shot.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
It’s a tricky spot. I think Granlund offers value in a lot of ways. Huala is a nice piece and galchenyuk offers some potential punch to the offense especially a very stale PP. I understand wanting to see what we have in house, but if those 3 bounce back, they all could return at least a second at the deadline. Then call up the others. It’s not like there won’t be injuries along the way. Plus I think we know what Smith offers. Another little bit in GR won’t hurt him. In fact give him some other responsibility there and let him grow more. And, it would only be one of them, maybe, but not likely two of them so there’s space.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't understand picking up a winger at all.
Maybe a C for 1 year until Veleno is ready - which is why I put Fabbri there
But what room do we have on the Wing?

Here are our wingers if Fabbri stays on the W.
1 Mantha
2 Bertuzzi
3 Zadina
4 Fabbri
----
You have four spots
In the mix are:
Svechnikov, Timashov, Erne, Helm, Abdelkader, Perlini, Hirose, G, Snith, Rasmussen, whoever doesn't Play C out of Flip, Nielsen, Glendening and Ehn.
Add Brome to your list.

I'd only look at 2C and LD. I really don't think Cholo is ready.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Maybe we should send Cholowski to Mannheim for a year. They lack LhDs there.
He'll wind up in Europe after he washed out of the NHL. His 2 biggest problems are slow read and no physicality. He's well suited for the slow non-physical play in the DEL, but it certainly doesn't help his development at all.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
$800k to prove he's still toast? I doubt SY resigns him, I'd be very disappointed if he did...more so with SY's decision.
He's so slow, I wouldn't hire him to drive the zamboni for minimum wage.

Yeah, I would be pretty disappointed with Stevie, would seem like the laziest path forward.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It’s a tricky spot. I think Granlund offers value in a lot of ways. Huala is a nice piece and galchenyuk offers some potential punch to the offense especially a very stale PP. I understand wanting to see what we have in house, but if those 3 bounce back, they all could return at least a second at the deadline. Then call up the others. It’s not like there won’t be injuries along the way. Plus I think we know what Smith offers. Another little bit in GR won’t hurt him. In fact give him some other responsibility there and let him grow more. And, it would only be one of them, maybe, but not likely two of them so there’s space.

I'd like to see Smith get big minutes in GR on a top line. Put him in a spot to put up points and see if he can respond.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
He's so slow, I wouldn't hire him to drive the zamboni for minimum wage.

Yeah, I would be pretty disappointed with Stevie, would seem like the laziest path forward.

It would certainly prove that another top draft pick was the priority...

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Leipsic was a beastly 4th liner for washington, id take a shot on him. make abdelkader earn his 4th line spot.

No. Just...no.

Craig Smith in Nashville is a UFA. 30 year old 2nd/3rd liner that's been good for 30 to 50ish points a season.
Justin Braun is on the wrong side of 30 but if we could get him on a 2 year deal then he'd be a decent shot blocking defenseman for the bottom pair.
Mattias Janmark is a guy that I was bummed to let go in the Erik Cole trade. I think he'd be a good addition to the team as a middle six guy.
Erik Gustafsson is a puck moving defenseman who had 60 points with chicago in 18-19. Only 29 points with Calgary this season but I think he'll be due a big raise. He immediately would upgrade our PP.

None of these players move the needle a ton on their own, but Braun replaces Ericson, Gustafsson replaces Daley. It improves our transition play and gives us better net protection.

Gustafsson - Seider
DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Braun/Bowey

Also looking at Janmark's advanced stats, he seems to be a solid PK guy. Definitely something we could use on this team.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
If I am GM, I would seriously consider taking a chance on Jeremy Bracco. He's a right hand shot, productive AHLer (weird stats this year with only 4 goals, but still 34PTS in 44GP, last year over a point per game). To me it makes too much sense. I get the feeling that he won't be qualified by the Leafs considering they didn't include him on their 31 player playoff roster.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If I am GM, I would seriously consider taking a chance on Jeremy Bracco. He's a right hand shot, productive AHLer (weird stats this year with only 4 goals, but still 34PTS in 44GP, last year over a point per game). To me it makes too much sense. I get the feeling that he won't be qualified by the Leafs considering they didn't include him on their 31 player playoff roster.

We are up to our eyeballs in 23-year-old wingers.
Among the wingers in that general age group:
  1. Svechnikov.
  2. Hirose.
  3. Givani Smith.
  4. Erne.
  5. Perlini.
  6. Timashov.
  7. Fabbri.
We've got other guys like Rasmussen (who I still believe will be a winger), Zadina, Berggren and maybe this Brome guy.
We're likely moving on from Perlini. But still.
I don't see much need for taking hand-me-downs from other other teams at the Wing position.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
We are up to our eyeballs in 23-year-old wingers.
Among the wingers in that general age group:
  1. Svechnikov.
  2. Hirose.
  3. Givani Smith.
  4. Erne.
  5. Perlini.
  6. Timashov.
  7. Fabbri.
We've got other guys like Rasmussen (who I still believe will be a winger), Zadina, Berggren and maybe this Brome guy.
We're likely moving on from Perlini. But still.
I don't see much need for taking hand-me-downs from other other teams at the Wing position.

1. shoots left
2. shoots left
3. shoots left
4. shoots left and should not be brought back
5. shoots left and should not be brought back
6. shoots left
7. shoots left
Rasmussen: shoots left
Zadina: shoots left
Berggren: shoots left
Brome: shoots left
Veleno: shoots left

other forwards on the roster:
Larkin-left
Bert-left
Mantha-left
Fil- left
Nielsen- left
Abdelkader :banghead: left
Helm- left
Glendening: whaaat? a right handed forward???

Bracco: shoots right

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
1. shoots left
2. shoots left
3. shoots left
6. shoots left
7. shoots left

Larkin-left
Bert-left
Mantha-left
Fil- left
Nielsen- left
Helm- left

Yeah. But I'm not signing someone who pushes Svech down a depth chart unless he's legit, legit upgrade.
We have to stop burying prospects.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yeah. But I'm not signing someone who pushes Svech down a depth chart unless he's legit, legit upgrade.
We have to stop burying prospects.

Personally I think Bracco has a better chance at being an NHL regular than Svech, but that's just me. I do agree Svech needs a legitimate shot before we write him off completely, but I'm not sure I see a player who's game translates to the NHL. If all goes well for him, he MAY be able to carve out a 6-10 year career as a middle 6 winger, but I wouldn't bet on it at this point.

As for all the lefties, we need some right handed forwards immediately. It's insane that Glendening is our only right handed forward. Yzerman needs to address this immediately via drafting and trades and signings. Drafting Foerster at 32 (if available) would be a good start. This also has me thinking that Yzerman may be considering taking Raymond at 4.

Let Erne and Perlini walk. Even Ehn, these guys are dime a dozen fringe NHLers.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
1. shoots left
2. shoots left
3. shoots left
6. shoots left
7. shoots left

Larkin-left
Bert-left
Mantha-left
Fil- left
Nielsen- left
Helm- left

Glendening only shoots on the backhand though. So...left.

I don't think the handedness of our forwards is the problem, though. Yeah it would be nice to have a right handed sniper on the powerplay, but we haven't had one of those since Shanahan. What we need more than righties on this roster is SKILL AND SMARTS. Who cares which way they shoot, as long as they can provide proper D support in our zone and help get the puck moving towards the offensive zone to put pressure on the other team.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Personally I think Bracco has a better chance at being an NHL regular than Svech, but that's just me. I do agree Svech needs a legitimate shot before we write him off completely, but I'm not sure I see a player who's game translates to the NHL. If all goes well for him, he MAY be able to carve out a 6-10 year career as a middle 6 winger, but I wouldn't bet on it at this point.

As for all the lefties, we need some right handed forwards immediately. It's insane that Glendening is our only right handed forward. Yzerman needs to address this immediately via drafting and trades and signings. Drafting Foerster at 32 (if available) would be a good start. This also has me thinking that Yzerman may be considering taking Raymond at 4.

I think Svech, if he played with offensive minded forwards, would be a strong, solid forward who put pucks on net.
In his last callup, he reminded me of Tatar as a kid. Everything went towards the net.
Players who do that tend to have success. Maybe he's 6'2, big-bodied 15-20 goal scorer from the middle six. I'd like to give him a shot before we turn him to dust.

Reactions: Realgud

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Re: Yzerman & RayM@4, Thought the same. Plus we need the playmaking/skating/highIQ/good shot/clutch skill guy. Also RHS, we need one desperately on each line.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Pius Suter at eliteprospects.com

Interesting player. Never drafted, dominated Swiss league. Bertuzzi's and Fabbri's teammate from Guelph 2013-15.

Guelph Storm at eliteprospects.com

Now free agent and seeking a spot from NHL.

I think he'd be worth a PTO at camp at the very least. I like what I'm able to see of him on the interwebs. Very much like Fabbri as a player. A little guy that sticks to the net. Not really able to tell how he is defensively.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I think he'd be worth a PTO at camp at the very least. I like what I'm able to see of him on the interwebs. Very much like Fabbri as a player. A little guy that sticks to the net. Not really able to tell how he is defensively.

From what I remember from Guelph he was small but gave huge effort. I'd be ok with that signing but they need to cut bait on some other players to make room.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
From what I remember from Guelph he was small but gave huge effort. I'd be ok with that signing but they need to cut bait on some other players to make room.

Waive Abdelkader and send him to GR
Waive Nielsen and send him to GR
Get rid of Ehn
Get rid of Erne
Get rid of Perlini

Bring up Givani Smith full time
Bring up Rasmussen full time
Keep Zadina full time
Give Svechnikov a chance at a top 9 spot
Sign Pius Suter and give him a top 9 chance. From those highlights he shows above average NHL speed, a phenomenal shot and goalscoring instincts around the net.

We'd still have a big hole at 2C but at least we can upgrade the other holes at forward. Adding Smith, Rasmussen and Svech is definitely an infusion of grit wen compared to the guys that were supposed to be gritty (Erne, Perlini, Abby) but weren't.

And if Pius is a little guy who is a hard worker I'll take that any day over a guy that's 6'2" 210 but a step behind the play and doesn't give 100%.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad