Players we could offer “prove it” contracts to

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm not feeling this thread at all.
We've got a lot of "prove-it" players on next year's Roster
C: Maybe Rasmussen (i still see him as a winger though) or Veleno (less likely)
RW: Zadina, Svechnikov
LD: Cholowski
RD: Seider

I'm pretty comfortable with going out and getting a veteran RD to help play some tough minutes and letting the kids do the rest of the heavy lifting.
Maybe we move Fabbri to C.

Svechnikov-Larkin-Mantha
Bert-Fabbri-Zadina
Timashov-Filppula-Rasmussen
Nielsen-GLendening-Helm
(Abdelkader/Ehn/Erne/Smith)
So, we've already got a ton of bodies at forward. Quantity not Quality.
Time to let Svech and Ras prove it.

But I get a veteran RD from UFA.
But assuming health:
Dekeyser-Seider
Nemeth-Hronek
Cholowski-Gudas
(Biega/Lindstrom/Bowey/McIrath/HickettsMcIsaac/Lashoff)
That's still 7 extra D.

If there's a prove-it offer, I'd do it in goal, I guess.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'm not feeling this thread at all.
We've got a lot of "prove-it" players on next year's Roster
C: Maybe Rasmussen (i still see him as a winger though) or Veleno (less likely)
RW: Zadina, Svechnikov
LD: Cholowski
RD: Seider

I'm pretty comfortable with going out and getting a veteran RD to help play some tough minutes and letting the kids do the rest of the heavy lifting.
Maybe we move Fabbri to C.

Svechnikov-Larkin-Mantha
Bert-Fabbri-Zadina
Timashov-Filppula-Rasmussen
Nielsen-GLendening-Helm
(Abdelkader/Ehn/Erne/Smith)
So, we've already got a ton of bodies at forward. Quantity not Quality.
Time to let Svech and Ras prove it.

But I get a veteran RD from UFA.
But assuming health:
Dekeyser-Seider
Nemeth-Hronek
Cholowski-Gudas
(Biega/Lindstrom/Bowey/McIrath/HickettsMcIsaac/Lashoff)
That's still 7 extra D.

If there's a prove-it offer, I'd do it in goal, I guess.

Svech'd get dusted on L1. His skating isn't upto speed.
...Timashov may work better.

I've been wanting them to try Fabbri @2C after his 1st ~15-20gp last year. It'd be another arsenal in his skill set. Didn't they do that for a few shifts, a few games (not all game), iirc.

Smith & Ehn 1st callups as we're stuck with JA FN VF. agree on prove it G contract.

UFA is Brodie $4.75X5yrs, NMC 1st 4 yrs., Top3 LD/RD w/LHS. Guaranteed TOI leader w/Hronek/DDK. All should get 22-23+/gp. Good partner for MoJorisin'. Unique Brodie can play either side & crossover with Mo on the PP. Hronek mans top unit/Bert/Larkin/Mantha/Fabbri. Timashov, Zadina, '20 1OA, Brodie & Seider=PP2.

Veleno & Mozider both surprise well. Lindstrom claims 6D.

At least 1 surprise nobody say coming.

Last edited:

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Hirose became useless when the opponents figured out they can just run him over. Literally just run him over.

He needs to bulk up, it's that simple. Even if he became a 40 assist guy scoring NO goals, he's more useful than half the forwards on this team. The problem is that he can't hold his own on the ice. Bulk up, win some puck battles. Then he's an NHL caliber player. He's got vision and hockey IQ.

Anyways, aside from lack of creativity, the players just all suck at passing, zone entry, and FO. The lack of PPA is not surprising at all.

Totally agree re strength. There's plenty with his basic frame who are a lot stronger, and it would make him much more effective. If he doesn't that, to a certain extent, is on him, though he may perhaps find it harder than others.

I agree with the general malaise, but the very fact that Hirose had PPA despite that suggests that he is not worth just consigning to the bin, as the poster I was responding too implied.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Svech'd get dusted on L1. His skating isn't upto speed.
...Timashov may work better.

I've been wanting them to try Fabbri @2C after his 1st ~15-20gp last year. It'd be another arsenal in his skill set.

Smith & Ehn 1st callups as we're stuck with JA FN VF. agree on prove it G contract.

UFA is Brodie $4.75X5yrs, NMC 1st 4 yrs., 1 LD/RD w/LHS. Guaranteed TOI leader w/Hronek/DDK. All should get 22-23+/gp. Good partner for MoJorisin'. Unique Brodie can play either side & crossover with Mo on the PP. Hronek mans top unit/Bert/Larkin/Mantha/Fabbri. Timashov, Zadina, '20 1OA, Brodie & Seider=PP2.

Veleno & Mozider both surprise well. Lindstrom claims 6D.

At least 1 surprise nobody say coming.

Zach Kassian plays with McDavid.
Tomas Holmstrom played with Z and Datsyuk.
Svech has a big body and hands. Larkin and Manatha have enough speed to get things done.
That gives you the opportunity to give Bertuzzi to Fabbri - and Fabbri and Bert have some chemistry. Both guys have enough skill to find Zadina.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That gives you the opportunity to give Bertuzzi to Fabbri - and Fabbri and Bert have some chemistry. Both guys have enough skill to find Zadina.

The center is missing from that line, if you don't hope it's Fabbri.

I would put Zadina to offensive 3rd line and Fabbri - XXX - Bertuzzi as 2nd.

Svechnikov - Larkin - Mantha would be very interesting to see if it works. Finally our depth would start growing when good talent like Bertuzzi falls to bolster lower lines. Then Zadina adds the same effect to 3rd. Good things will start to grow up.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Svechnikov - Larkin - Mantha would be very interesting to see if it works. Finally our depth would start growing when good talent like Bertuzzi falls to bolster lower lines. Then Zadina adds the same effect to 3rd. Good things will start to grow up.

I wouldn't be against giving Fabbri a look in the middle, but I also wasn't against giving Athanasiou a look there last fall so take it for what you will. If we keep Fabbri on the wing, Nielsen/Filppula could work there - especially as the season wears on and, ideally, we trade Flip and bring Ras/Veleno up to take that spot.

those forwards really need some help from their blueline next season.

Reactions: MBH

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So prove it players also are kind of make me think change of scenery like we were saying with Mittelstadt. Maybe Lias Andersson is another guy we could go after. My guess is we are looking at Cholowski or Svechnikov in these kind of trades, but I could see Yzerman perhaps pulling one of these moves this off-season.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
So prove it players also are kind of make me think change of scenery like we were saying with Mittelstadt. Maybe Lias Andersson is another guy we could go after. My guess is we are looking at Cholowski or Svechnikov in these kind of trades, but I could see Yzerman perhaps pulling one of these moves this off-season.

Yep, I expect a Mittlestadt type scenario, not necessary Mitt, though I'm ok with that. Cholo has more value than Lias Andersson, 3c future guy, maybe, thought he was back in SWE iirc, Rangers are net negative there. Wonder what Ras could fetch on Prospect/Rookie LD. I'd do Cholo for Mittlestadt probably. Wanna see Svech make the squad regardless, even if he's trade bait/throw-in later to CAR for LD propect.

On the trade board, someone suggested Stepan+Raanta+M.Grabner ~ $14M (1yr cap hit) / AZ Cap Relief & Real $ savings

FOR:

LGD & Dylan MacIlrath.

..I'd do it, but rather sign a 1yr C + G for 1-2+. Thinking it's a buyer's market this year with UFA/RFA etc. We'll see a few more NHL guys go to KHL/European leagues.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yep, I expect a Mittlestadt type scenario, not necessary Mitt, though I'm ok with that. Cholo has more value than Lias Andersson, 3c future guy, maybe, thought he was back in SW iirc, Rangers are net negative there. Wonder what Ras could fetch on Prospect/Rookie LD. I'd do Cholo for Mittlestadt probably. Wanna see Svech make the squad regardless, even if he's trade bait/throw-in later to CAR for LD propect.

On the trade board, someone suggested Stepan+Raanta+M.Grabner ~ $14M (1yr cap hit) / AZ Cap Relief & Real $ savings

FOR:

LGD & Dylan MacIlrath.

..I'd do it, but rather sign a 1yr C + G for 1-2+. Thinking it's a buyer's market this year with UFA/RFA etc. We'll see a few more NHL guys go to KHL/European leagues.

That is way too much cap help not to extract a premium asset. What RT is doing there is clearing money to sign Hall and do something else. They have Adin Hill waiting in the wings. Raanta has not stayed healthy, I do like him when healthy, but the guy makes Jonathan Quick's groins look good. They do it while forking over a top 5 prospect or a premium pick or this doesn't make sense for me. That is a big time favor even if they try to pretend you get some solid players, that is all of our cap space and for what no assets in a year or at best an oft injured goalie signed moving forward. I don't see it without something big. Glendening alone probably gets a second round pick at the deadline if we want to move him.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
That is way too much cap help not to extract a premium asset. What RT is doing there is clearing money to sign Hall and do something else. They have Adin Hill waiting in the wings. Raanta has not stayed healthy, I do like him when healthy, but the guy makes Jonathan Quick's groins look good. They do it while forking over a top 5 prospect or a premium pick or this doesn't make sense for me. That is a big time favor even if they try to pretend you get some solid players, that is all of our cap space and for what no assets in a year or at best an oft injured goalie signed moving forward. I don't see it without something big. Glendening alone probably gets a second round pick at the deadline if we want to move him.
Well there you go, applying more logic! I see your point, incentive/fit, value.

DS/AR/MG+2nd + 1st or Blue Chip C/LD prospect

for

~$12M caprelief for AZ after trade
LGD (late 1st/early 2nd value @TDL)
McIlrath

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Yeah, Fabbri as C. Drafted as a C.
It's not ideal - but we've got Veleno/Rasmussen on the way. We've already got Nielsen/Filppula/Glendening under contract - and none of those guys should center Zadina or play in the top 6.
I think Fabbri-Bertuzzi have some good chemistry together. Both guys have the offensive IQ to find Zadina.
Am I worried about defense? Sure. Faceoffs? Sure.
But I don't care too much. We're going to suck.

Reactions: lilidk

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, Fabbri as C. Drafted as a C.
It's not ideal - but we've got Veleno/Rasmussen on the way. We've already got Nielsen/Filppula/Glendening under contract - and none of those guys should center Zadina or play in the top 6.
I think Fabbri-Bertuzzi have some good chemistry together. Both guys have the offensive IQ to find Zadina.
Am I worried about defense? Sure. Faceoffs? Sure.
But I don't care too much. We're going to suck.

I would be most worried about foot speed on that line if all three are playing together.

Hopefully Zadina spends part of his 15 months off on skating though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would be most worried about foot speed on that line if all three are playing together.

Hopefully Zadina spends part of his 15 months off on skating though.

Haula would be nice (and only good) center add from free agency. He is very very fast.

I hope he gets greedy, signs with us short-term with bigger money than any capcruched better-level team can offer.

XXX - Larkin - Mantha (XXX = wrecking ball type of player rotating, Givani, Svechnikov, Rasmussen)
Fabbri - Haula - Bertuzzi
Timashov - Filppula - Zadina
Ehn - Glendening - Helm
(Nielsen, Abdelkader)

If we get lucky and draft Lafreniere, one year goes by and we have:

Rasmussen - Larkin - Mantha
Lafreniere - Veleno - Zadina
Fabbri - Haula - Bertuzzi
Givani - Glendening - Svechni

No weak links anymore. Just young and raising or in-prime players.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wouldn't give Galchenyuk $2 mil per on a 1 year deal.

I would give him that to be on PP1 alone. He has his flaws, but he is more talented than most of the top six options and he is likely to be cheaper than the other guys being floated around. I was a big fan of his as a prospect, he is a guy that never really fully recovered from a knee injury even with that he is a point every other game and a goal ever four guy, that is about 20 goals and 40 points, we could use the scoring, maybe he does turn it around on his last big chance too and get back to the 25 and 50 guy he showed glimpses of early.

I would love to here he went to a power skating coach as soon as Minny is bounced in the play-in round.

I am not sure I am in for Haula or Granlund until I see the ping-pong balls, I think both guys are getting some term.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Damn dude, what did he do to you?

I would give him that to be on PP1 alone. He has his flaws, but he is more talented than most of the top six options and he is likely to be cheaper than the other guys being floated around. I was a big fan of his as a prospect, he is a guy that never really fully recovered from a knee injury even with that he is a point every other game and a goal ever four guy, that is about 20 goals and 40 points, we could use the scoring, maybe he does turn it around on his last big chance too and get back to the 25 and 50 guy he showed glimpses of early.

I would love to here he went to a power skating coach as soon as Minny is bounced in the play-in round.

I am not sure I am in for Haula or Granlund until I see the ping-pong balls, I think both guys are getting some term.

My issue, is lets say he comes on a 1 year low money deal, and puts up 18 G 23 A 41 PTS. That is nothing great, and then he would want a 3-5 year deal at 4-5 a season, where he would probably be the same or worse production, which is not that great a use of money, as of now he hasn't proven to be a player you need or want to spend that money on!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
My issue, is lets say he comes on a 1 year low money deal, and puts up 18 G 23 A 41 PTS. That is nothing great, and then he would want a 3-5 year deal at 4-5 a season, where he would probably be the same or worse production, which is not that great a use of money, as of now he hasn't proven to be a player you need or want to spend that money on!

He does that we could also deal him and probably get at least a 2nd for him while giving us a cushion at center to start the year.

Reactions: lomekian

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I don’t get the hate for Gally from a “see what we have” standpoint.

We have a whopping two prospects coming in next year that could make the team out of a camp for a top 9 role; Rasmussen and our 1st rounder this year depending on who. MAYBE Veleno post trade deadline. If Smith makes it, it’s as a 4th liner. Svechnikov already has had his chance to “prove it” and in no way deserves a spot solely due to sunk cost fallacy.

Adding another stopgap player with the potential to become a middle 6 fixture or trade asset via UFA is infinitely preferable in my eyes than trading assets for a Perlini or seeing how fast Ehn can make everyone fall asleep with his electrifying offensive play.

Acquiring a guy or two on cheap contracts are essentially the hockey equivalent of a a free raffle ticket. Very low risk, potential middle reward. Ask yourself this if Yzerman traded a 5th for one last year would you have said it’s a winning trade?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lias Andersson seems to have problem again to sign with Rangers.

Maybe we should try get him for some bargain price. Take Brendan Smith's contract for cap help (bury/buy him out) and get a center prospect?

NY Rangers future Center spots are filled with Zibanejad-Chytil-Howden and there's also Strome they'd like to sign. McKegg/Nieves type of guys fill the 4th line spot.

When projecting all the roster, seems that there's no room for Andersson in current Rangers team, he knows it, and that's the reason why is is wanting to go elsewehere:

Panarin - Zibanejad - Kakko
Kreider - Strome - Buchnevich
Chytil/Howden - Gauthier
Lemieux - McKegg/Nieves - Fast

Then there's a great prospect like Vitali Kravtsov hunting one winger spot.

Rangers have hard time to sign Strome (who had a great season thanks to Panarin), but if they get rid of Smith, they can sign him. Then they can let Andersson walk (in a trade). If they can't get rid of Smith, they can't sign Strome, and then they should keep Andersson. It goes hand-in-hand.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Yep, I expect a Mittlestadt type scenario, not necessary Mitt, though I'm ok with that. Cholo has more value than Lias Andersson, 3c future guy, maybe, thought he was back in SWE iirc, Rangers are net negative there. Wonder what Ras could fetch on Prospect/Rookie LD. I'd do Cholo for Mittlestadt probably. Wanna see Svech make the squad regardless, even if he's trade bait/throw-in later to CAR for LD propect.

FOR:

LGD & Dylan MacIlrath.

I’d really need them to throw some picks in for that kind of cap savings. Doesn’t need to be 2020 .

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

That's where you flip him for assets to a playoff team or playoff hopeful if he is on Pace for 40-50 at the deadline.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't understand picking up a winger at all.
Maybe a C for 1 year until Veleno is ready - which is why I put Fabbri there
But what room do we have on the Wing?

Here are our wingers if Fabbri stays on the W.
1 Mantha
2 Bertuzzi
3 Zadina
4 Fabbri
----
You have four spots
In the mix are:
Svechnikov, Timashov, Erne, Helm, Abdelkader, Perlini, Hirose, G, Snith, Rasmussen, whoever doesn't Play C out of Flip, Nielsen, Glendening and Ehn.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I don't understand picking up a winger at all.
Maybe a C for 1 year until Veleno is ready - which is why I put Fabbri there
But what room do we have on the Wing?

Here are our wingers if Fabbri stays on the W.
1 Mantha
2 Bertuzzi
3 Zadina
4 Fabbri
----
You have four spots
In the mix are:
Svechnikov, Timashov, Erne, Helm, Abdelkader, Perlini, Hirose, G, Snith, Rasmussen, whoever doesn't Play C out of Flip, Nielsen, Glendening and Ehn.

bolded players are players who have already “proved” that they are not good enough to be anything more than a 13th forward at most and I have italicized players that at most are 4th liners next year.

The targets being discussed in this thread are currently better than every single one of those players we “need to make room for” and likely better than any of them will ever be outside of Rasmussen.

Trim the fat. We’re going to be bad, but we need SOME NHL talent on this team. Idk if people realize how demoralizing it is to play on a truly terrible team. Adding at least one NHL caliber player allows for our younger players to play with better talent, thus aiding deveopment. If we’re even as good as NJ next year I’ll count that as a huge win for the psychology of this franchise.

If more than one of Erne, Perlini, or Ehn are on this team full time, it’s very telling. There is next to no downside on adding youngish players like Haula or Gustafson at this point unless you’re concerned that going from 31st to 27th-28th destroys our lottery odds too much or care about a billionaire family’s money. We either gain NHL talent that can be used in the future and helps young development of our players that don’t suck, get some assets to flip at TDL, or at worst they suck in years we are going to suck anyways.

This is not Buffalo adding Jeff Skinner and signing him to a terrible contract. This is the same mindset that gave us Fabbri only this time for no assets other than money

Last edited:
Reactions: ricky0034

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad