Players we could offer “prove it” contracts to

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Seems to be that Suter has signed with Chicago (rumour from German newspaper). Just like Kubalik did year ago, as Swiss League leading scorer.

Looked for some Swiss League advanced stats and his advanced stats looked better than Kubalik's (who scored insane 30 goals for Hawks).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Waive Abdelkader and send him to GR
Waive Nielsen and send him to GR
Get rid of Ehn
Get rid of Erne
Get rid of Perlini

Bring up Givani Smith full time
Bring up Rasmussen full time
Keep Zadina full time
Give Svechnikov a chance at a top 9 spot
Sign Pius Suter and give him a top 9 chance. From those highlights he shows above average NHL speed, a phenomenal shot and goalscoring instincts around the net.

We'd still have a big hole at 2C but at least we can upgrade the other holes at forward. Adding Smith, Rasmussen and Svech is definitely an infusion of grit wen compared to the guys that were supposed to be gritty (Erne, Perlini, Abby) but weren't.

Yeah - hopefully for Abdelkader
Yeah - hopefully for Nielsen

Still think there some use for Ehn, rotaing guy between bench and 4th line, won't cost anything over 850k.
Erne would be nice to send back as a part of a package to Tampa, in a trade for Cirelli/Sergachev. :P
Perlini - gone. Europe?

Givani - Yes.
Rasmussen - Yes.
Zadina - of course.
Svechnikov - think he goes to KHL, just too good move for him. Back to Kazan, familiar environment from junior days, full healthy season + strong knee again, then back to NHL at 2021-22.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would love to see a roster that does not include Abdelkader or Nielsen next year. But I have a very hard time seeing us take a combined 7.7 mil cap hit for 2 guys playing in the minors.

Yzerman kind of started doing this already with Ericsson. He woudn't hesitate to put him down, and it wasn't only conditioning assignment.

Don't believe he would do that burying for both Abdelkader and Nielsen many are hoping in here. Maybe keep another vet in NHL as mentoring bench veteran who plays rarely, and put another to Griffins as a mentoring veteran. Like they did with Cleary. He was down there earning that bigger money.

Still see if these guys are gone, it's Nielsen who will be bought out and Abdelkader is the guy who is buried. Makes just too much sense. Nielsen's days at NHL level player are pretty much over, so he could take the money, go home and maybe join some team at Europe. Abdelkader's home is at same direction as Griffins...

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah - hopefully for Abdelkader
Yeah - hopefully for Nielsen

Still think there some use for Ehn, rotaing guy between bench and 4th line, won't cost anything over 850k.
Erne would be nice to send back as a part of a package to Tampa, in a trade for Cirelli/Sergachev. :P
Perlini - gone. Europe?

Givani - Yes.
Rasmussen - Yes.
Zadina - of course.
Svechnikov - think he goes to KHL, just too good move for him. Back to Kazan, familiar environment from junior days, full healthy season + strong knee again, then back to NHL at 2021-22.

With the AHL season nowhere near starting, is there some way we can loan some of our guys (Seider, Veleno, Svechnikov) to euro teams that are playing in September?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
With the AHL season nowhere near starting, is there some way we can loan some of our guys (Seider, Veleno, Svechnikov) to euro teams that are playing in September?

I think all ELCs can be loaned anywhere, who have transfer agreement (not KHL). It's just using that ELC-slide like sending a guy to juniors (for under 20 year old). For +20 year old, the ELC year burns and NHL team pays the salary.

Arizona-drafted Matias Maccelli played for Ilves Tampere, they didn't have any special connection with each other. Maccelli was former TPS Turku junior, but that organization is currently a mess, so for somewhat reasonable reason, he wanted to avoid Turku. He was great at Ilves, and because of this 2020-21 AHL problem, probably stays for another year. Don't believe he has any chance to be NHL starting-roster material yet.

And best places would be our kids former teams, like Mannheim for Seider. Maybe he should take Veleno with him.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think all ELCs can be loaned anywhere, who have transfer agreement (not KHL). It's just using that ELC-slide like sending a guy to juniors (for under 20 year old). For +20 year old, the ELC year burns and NHL team pays the salary.

Arizona-drafted Matias Maccelli played for Ilves Tampere, they didn't have any special connection with each other. Maccelli was former TPS Turku junior, but that organization is currently a mess, so for somewhat reasonable reason, he wanted to avoid Turku. He was great at Ilves, and because of this 2020-21 AHL problem, probably stays for another year. Don't believe he has any chance to be NHL starting-roster material yet.

And best places would be our kids former teams, like Mannheim for Seider. Maybe he should take Veleno with him.

The European leagues' season will technically be the 20-21 season, same as the next shortened NHL season. If they're loaned out and those players are expected to play in the NHL anyway (Like Seider) it wouldn't be burning a year of their ELC in the most traditional sense. It wouldn't be a total loss for our players. Svechnikov has to clear waivers and will likely be up with the big club anyway, so the only one it would burn a year off is Veleno.

With that being the case, does Veleno lose a whole year off his ELC if he goes and plays for Mannheim for 20 games before going back to GR?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Along the "questionable AHL season" line, if someone gets waived from the big club, what would they do in that circumstance? Just sit at home and collect money?
If it's a one way NHL contract, yes. NHL contracts are guaranteed.

If the AHL doesn't play, it might make sense to send Abby and Nielsen home and bring up the kids so they can play. Might even make the decision easier since they won't have to report to GR. I'd rather have the kids practicing even if they don't play.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The European leagues' season will technically be the 20-21 season, same as the next shortened NHL season. If they're loaned out and those players are expected to play in the NHL anyway (Like Seider) it wouldn't be burning a year of their ELC in the most traditional sense. It wouldn't be a total loss for our players. Svechnikov has to clear waivers and will likely be up with the big club anyway, so the only one it would burn a year off is Veleno.

With that being the case, does Veleno lose a whole year off his ELC if he goes and plays for Mannheim for 20 games before going back to GR?

Quite sure have to be a full year away. But Veleno is already 20 years old, so there's no ELC slide anymore. It's for 18-19 year olds, like Seider. Seider's ELC did slide in AHL already for last year, so no matter what the league is.

If Svechnikov goes to KHL, we don't have to think anything about waivers. He will just play for another league like Hudler did and stays at RFA status.

I would definitely "loan" Svechnikov to Kazan, if there's no AHL, and leave those rest of NHL spots for "equal" guys who don't any other good place to go. Mostly NA guys, like Rasmussen & Givani etc.

Reactions: PullHard

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Seems to be that Suter has signed with Chicago (rumour from German newspaper). Just like Kubalik did year ago, as Swiss League leading scorer.

Looked for some Swiss League advanced stats and his advanced stats looked better than Kubalik's (who scored insane 30 goals for Hawks).

Which one? Not saying that it's wrong but no news out there here in Switzerland and the player himself said that he hasn't signed anything. Will decide on his future within the next few days. I think that Detroit could be an option. They could have a spot for him and Suter had success with Bertuzzi and Fabbri when playing for OHL Guelph Storm.

Suter's preferred position is Center and Chicago doesn't need another Centerman. Suter of course played a lot of wing, too and probably wouldn't be upset to start on the Wing but with their Center logjam I'm not sure Chicago really is Suter's best option.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
ZSC-Star wechselt in die NHL – Suter geht, kommt nun Andrighetto?

If this is what you mean, it's a Swiss (not German) newspaper and most likely not more than speculation. Eliteprospects picked it up but they (the newspaper) even used the word "speculate" in the article. They're speculating based on his former coach, Crawford, now being with the Blackhawks as well as them (Blackhawks) signing Kubalik outta Switzerland last season.

It's possible but I don't believe it until there's more information out there. Based on that article, they're just guessing.

Other teams, for example Detroit or Ottawa, should be much more interesting options for him...if they're interested in him of course. But with apparently multiple offers on the table I wouldn't pick Chicago if I'm Suter.

Last edited:
Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You have four spots
In the mix are:
Svechnikov, Timashov, Erne, Helm, Abdelkader, Perlini, Hirose, G, Snith, Rasmussen, whoever doesn't Play C out of Flip, Nielsen, Glendening and Ehn.
And?

Glendening's sole purpose next season is to land the Wings a pick at the deadline.

Rasmussen will eventually get some time, but has not cemented anything yet.

The other 12 don't include a single player that I'd care if they never played another game for Detroit.

I agree that a free agent winger certainly isn't the top priority, but whether it's an actual improvement to retain or just a cheap deal to flip for another pick, I'm not ruling anything out with this mess of a roster.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
1. shoots left
2. shoots left
3. shoots left
4. shoots left and should not be brought back
5. shoots left and should not be brought back
6. shoots left
7. shoots left
Rasmussen: shoots left
Zadina: shoots left
Berggren: shoots left
Brome: shoots left
Veleno: shoots left

other forwards on the roster:
Larkin-left
Bert-left
Mantha-left
Fil- left
Nielsen- left
Abdelkader :banghead: left
Helm- left
Glendening: whaaat? a right handed forward???

Bracco: shoots right
Vanek was available and he is a proven 40 point guy at this stage in his career.
He also shoots right.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Glendening's sole purpose next season is to land the Wings a pick at the deadline.

Will be a nice piece at the Trade Deadline, when we retent 50% he goes under the minumum salary (900k). That kind of caphit is PURE GOLD in new tight cap situation for Contenders.

This TBL-trade for Barclay Goodrow reminded me of a Glendening trade. Maybe NHL best Penalty-killer at season 2019-20, got a low 1st rounder. TBL 1st <> Goodrow + SJS 3rd. I would put Glendening to 1st PP net-front at this season to BOLSTER his trade value when netting some easy garbge goals. :D Kind of Pageau effect, he also netted a 1st rounder, when scoring 24 goals.

Pageau's 3 seasons before that 26-goal season? 12 + 14 + 4 goals. = 30 in total.
Glendenings last 3 seasons...? 10 + 11 + 6 goals = 27 in total.

Just make it happen. :)

Filppula probably will do the same as a Deadline deal, but is litle more pricy with 50% (1.5M). Don't think we get as much for him, but still get something. Like a 2nd or two 3rds.

I really like Nemeth, and would keep him, but wouldn't be surpriced if he will fetch at least a Brendan Smith's value 2nd+3rd pick at the Deadline. Also can retent 50% to put him for same 1.5M caphit like Filppula.

Then there's also Helm in play, but he is a bit trickier to trade with even 50% retended (1.925M) caphit. Could expect a 3rd for him.

Last edited:

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border

Filppula probably will do the same as a Deadline deal, but is litle more pricy with 50% (1.5M). Don't think we get as much for him, but still get something. Like a 2nd or two 3rds.

What did NJ get for Simmonds at the deadline from Buffalo?

Filppula is on the decline, even on faceoffs he dropped off huge.

I wouldn't expect Filppula to get much more than whatever NJ got for Simmonds. Which I think was a mid to late round pick.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Simmonds had serious abdominal muscle injury (and surgery) year before and has never been the same again since.

Simmonds was also with 5M caphit. More negative value.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
And?

Rasmussen will eventually get some time, but has not cemented anything yet.

The other 12 don't include a single player that I'd care if they never played another game for Detroit.

I agree that a free agent winger certainly isn't the top priority, but whether it's an actual improvement to retain or just a cheap deal to flip for another pick, I'm not ruling anything out with this mess of a roster.

That's one perspective.
I care about whether or not we flush prospects down the drain for nothing.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Will be a nice piece at the Trade Deadline, when we retent 50% he goes under the minumum salary (900k). That kind of caphit is PURE GOLD in new tight cap situation for Contenders.

This TBL-trade for Barclay Goodrow reminded me of a Glendening trade. Maybe NHL best Penalty-killer at season 2019-20, got a low 1st rounder. TBL 1st <> Goodrow + SJS 3rd. I would put Glendening to 1st PP net-front at this season to BOLSTER his trade value when netting some easy garbge goals. :D Kind of Pageau effect, he also netted a 1st rounder, when scoring 24 goals.

Pageau's 3 seasons before that 26-goal season? 12 + 14 + 4 goals. = 30 in total.
Glendenings last 3 seasons...? 10 + 11 + 6 goals = 27 in total.

I really like Nemeth, and would keep him, but wouldn't be surpriced if he will fetch at least a Brendan Smith's value 2nd+3rd pick at the Deadline. Also can retent 50% to put him for same 1.5M caphit like Filppula.

Pageua also missed 43gp in the season he had 4G, so his norm up til then was ~14-15 range any given year. With more responsibility he carved out some more TOI & got a fat $5.M+ contract & term iir.c

Then there's also Helm in play, but he is a bit trickier to trade with even 50% retended (1.925M) caphit. Could expect a 3rd for him.
A 3rd, possibly late 2nd for Nemeth @TDL, maybe your suggested return with 50% off. Remember, Smith was glorified by advanced stats to NY's eye.

@Henkka Flip=4th, possibly 3rd. with 50% off, 2nd maybe.

Helm=3rd+b-level prospect with 50%off.

Pageau missed 43gp in '18/19, the same yr. he scored 4G, so that skews his otherwise avg. to ~14-15 G/yr prior. He got a fat $5M*6yr. deal for 60gp season of decent production in the PPG category in 19/20, but had already inked his deal last summer, coming in as a CAREER 31.64PP/82GP, he is essentially a 3rd liner. NYI paid for a 2W got RHS 3C instead, same price, overpaid by $500-700k easily.

I think Mr. Glenn Denning can fetch a late 1st @ the 11th HR TDL, or 2nd&3rd more likely.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That's one perspective.
I care about whether or not we flush prospects down the drain for nothing.
I'm not suggesting that. I'm saying Detroit has nothing in the pipeline so good as to prohibit looking at all options, including free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad