Player Discussion: Nikita Tryamkin | IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yes, but that requires extra KHL time where he may make less money. He can likely get higher career earnings by getting back to the NHL sooner than later.

Depends on the state of the economy over there and/or the price of oil. After taxes (I'd imagine, it's FAR less there) - he could still be making a darn good living at home.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Depends on the state of the economy over there and/or the price of oil. After taxes (I'd imagine, it's FAR less there) - he could still be making a darn good living at home.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-radulov-kovalchuk-kontinental-hockey-league/

Even 100% tax-free, which I doubt is entirely the case, the top paid player in the KHL for the reported season made $5.5 million, by the 4th highest paid that drops to $3 million, at 7th that drops to $2 million, and 9th to 15th make $1.5 million. The lowest paid player in the top 30 made $1.05 million.

Even with hefty Canadian taxes, he'd have to get a sub $3 million contract not to out earn the 30th ranked player in the KHL in Vancouver. Even with such taxes, he'd likely still take home enough to be in the top 10 in the KHL and his contract is far more secure over here.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-radulov-kovalchuk-kontinental-hockey-league/

Even 100% tax-free, which I doubt is entirely the case, the top paid player in the KHL for the reported season made $5.5 million, by the 4th highest paid that drops to $3 million, at 7th that drops to $2 million, and 9th to 15th make $1.5 million. The lowest paid player in the top 30 made $1.05 million.

Even with hefty Canadian taxes, he'd have to get a sub $3 million contract not to out earn the 30th ranked player in the KHL in Vancouver. Even with such taxes, he'd likely still take home enough to be in the top 10 in the KHL and his contract is far more secure over here.

I'm thinking that if the Canucks franchise shows any substantive improvement in the next couple of seasons, Tryamkin will be back....perhaps even before his KHL contract is up and via a buy-out.....When the Sedins retire, Benning will have a ton of cap flexibility, and could actually overpay for a d-man like Tryamkin.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I'm thinking that if the Canucks franchise shows any substantive improvement in the next couple of seasons, Tryamkin will be back....perhaps even before his KHL contract is up and via a buy-out.....When the Sedins retire, Benning will have a ton of cap flexibility, and could actually overpay for a d-man like Tryamkin.

Tons of caps is a good thing in the hands of any other GM.

In the hands of Hamfist Benning? Not so much.
:shakehead

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

I s'pose this could happen, but I like Prosthetic Conscience's odds better than those of BFG returning to the Canucks.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Vancouver is an all star destination.

Once there's real money he'll be back.

Big Russia
Gonna Crushya

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012

Big Russia
Gonna Crushya

just like it was for Johansen? Knock off this nonsense. Money is always the determining factor. Then stuff like ice time and other factors are considered.

Just saying it's an all star destination so he'll be back is just laughable.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Big Russia
Gonna Crushya

Aaaaa....aaaaahah....ahahahahahah

It really really isn't.

-Intense media and fan scrutiny
-Miserable weather during the hockey season when you live there
-Always one of the top 3 teams in miles travelled each year
-Incredibly expensive real estate
-Some players just don't want to be in Canada
-Team itself is in state of disarray, totally directionless.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nikita Tryamkin is quietly off to an impressive start to the season, and on pace early for a career year in the KHL. I don't think anyone is surprised; we know how good he is. When the team wants to spend the type of money that the KHL can't afford, he will return.

1G, 2A, 3P +7 in 8GP.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=123119

Not surprised to hear this about his game in the KHL....even one year in the NHL would do wonders for his development....forced to make quicker decisions with the puck and impose his giant frame against so many of physical forwards in the NHL.

Just hope the different style and more open ice in the KHL doesn't hinder his development.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

It really really isn't.

-Always one of the top 3 teams in miles travelled each year

The Gillis regime recognized a lot of these issues and worked to change or mitigate them. They turned this team into a destination for FAs. Benning has completely trashed all that hard work.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Not surprised to hear this about his game in the KHL....even one year in the NHL would do wonders for his development....forced to make quicker decisions with the puck and impose his giant frame against so many of physical forwards in the NHL.

Just hope the different style and more open ice in the KHL doesn't hinder his development.

I believe that a lot of the credit to how he is playing must go to Canucks trainer Roger Takahashi..Apparently,Tryamkin became a bit of a gym rat last season....so if there is one thing he took out of last year its his knowledge of conditioning.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

It really really isn't.

Not much you can do about that, but to put it in perspective, ice hockey is the #2 sport in Ykaterinburg - the profile of an Avtomobilist player in the city is probably as high as an NHL player here.
Monthly average high, low, precipitation
Vancouver
Sept - 19C, 11C, 25.1mm
Dec - 7C, 1C, 126mm
Mar - 10C, 4C, 87mm
Jul - 22C, 14C, 11mm

Ykaterinburg
Sept - 14C, 6C, 58mm
Dec - -8C, -13C, 27mm
Mar - 1C, -7C, 21mm
Jul - 24C, 14C, 90mm

:huh:
-Always one of the top 3 teams in miles traveled each year
Travel in KHL is much worse - 8200km (5000 mile) road trips across 8 time zones often in some combination of Soviet era 1970's vintage aircraft and motor coaches, through a kaleidoscope of cultures, foods and customs all while being paid 6 months late with envelopes of cash. Add to that when at home you play in a barn - KRK Uralets Arena was built in 1970. I imagine the team facilities are pretty sketchy as Soviet era buildings are not known for their creature comforts.

Not if you are earning $2M+ per year. At that point it's simple called investment.

True, but less and less the case these days.

Chaos is a ladder.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
QZZihJj.png

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Juolevi basically crapping the bed so far, that Tryamkin defection hurts even worse........with both Tryamkin and Gudbranson back for a full season, I'd actually be feeling pretty bullish about the Canucks blueline this season....Jimbo should have made him a contract offer in mid-season last year.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I believe that a lot of the credit to how he is playing must go to Canucks trainer Roger Takahashi..Apparently,Tryamkin became a bit of a gym rat last season....so if there is one thing he took out of last year its his knowledge of conditioning.

Tram needs to have the discipline to continue that conditioning on his own in the KHL. That's the only way he'll get better over there. Can't go back to his pre Vancouver conditioning.

The one good thing for team was that he managed to burn his elc with the fewest games he could. So, he will sign for a fair amount should he opt to return to the NHL in a year or two. Compared to bread man who had to play 2 full years to burn his elc.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Tram needs to have the discipline to continue that conditioning on his own in the KHL. That's the only way he'll get better over there. Can't go back to his pre Vancouver conditioning.

The one good thing for team was that he managed to burn his elc with the fewest games he could. So, he will sign for a fair amount should he opt to return to the NHL in a year or two. Compared to bread man who had to play 2 full years to burn his elc.

So I guess whatever team he signs with if he ever comes back to the NHL will be out a chunk of change, then.

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010
The Gillis regime recognized a lot of these issues and worked to change or mitigate them. They turned this team into a destination for FAs. Benning has completely trashed all that hard work.

It seems to me like this organization has no problem signing free agents. One could even say they sign too many of them.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I used to think Tryamkin left because of the team. Now I wonder more about Russian pressures. Suppose somebody made the argument that he owes them a season (or, two in this case)? Or, suppose the President mentioned he'd like to see Tryamkin in the Olympics. It could be anything like that. Maybe his wife hates it in North America?

Anyway, it might not be the team. I still feel like Benning should have done more. What, though? There are Russians in the org. I doubt they lowballed him financially. Except that would explain everything. My thinking is that Canucks could have paid
Tryamkin Edler money, if they wanted to. They wouldn't need Gudbranson or Del Zotto if they had Tryamkin. Those guys add up to $6.5 m. They could have given Tryamkin five and had a better hockey club. I am sure they know this. I don't think they did anything like that.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I used to think Tryamkin left because of the team. Now I wonder more about Russian pressures. Suppose somebody made the argument that he owes them a season (or, two in this case)? Or, suppose the President mentioned he'd like to see Tryamkin in the Olympics. It could be anything like that. Maybe his wife hates it in North America?

Anyway, it might not be the team. I still feel like Benning should have done more. What, though? There are Russians in the org. I doubt they lowballed him financially. Except that would explain everything. My thinking is that Canucks could have paid
Tryamkin Edler money, if they wanted to. They wouldn't need Gudbranson or Del Zotto if they had Tryamkin. Those guys add up to $6.5 m. They could have given Tryamkin five and had a better hockey club. I am sure they know this. I don't think they did anything like that.

hint: Fire Willie sooner....

black ace

Jul 4, 2006
Vancouver
People need to try and get over assigning blame for why he went back. Bottom line is he can make easy money in Russia and hes more comfortable there. Hes playing in front of 4,000 people in his home country making a couple of million dollars. Nothing wrong with that.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
It seems to me like this organization has no problem signing free agents. One could even say they sign too many of them.
Pre-2004 lockout, I think this was a fair perception. I basically don't remember Pat Quinn signing any significant free agent before he was cajoled into Messier, and for Burke it probably tops out at Andrew Cassels.

Now the situation is a bit different just because there are so many free agents every offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad