Player Discussion: Martin Jones

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
With how bad Jones has been for almost 2 years now, it would seem like he's almost assuredly injured of some kind. Because NHL goalies don't get this bad this quick in their late 20's, without suffering something physical.

Unless they're just temporary in the league and not actual NHL goalies, but Jones was an NHL goalie for almost 5 years. Not a great one, but an average one.

But at the same time, Jones seems to be one of the dumbest goalies around. His IQ is really lacking a lot of times. There's a lot of goals scored on him that don't look stoppable, where it looks like he has no chance on it, but he really does due to poor reads and moving the wrong way and playing the shot/shots very poorly.

He can make very stoppable and routine shots and saves look like he has no chance in hell on them from not being in the right place at the right time.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Worth the 1st round pick?

Tough one, but for me it's still yes, apprehensively. Sharks wouldn't have made a SCF appearance without him, but since then, he hasn't been worth it.

Perhaps one of the reasons it's tough to say yes is Doug Wilson. He has a bad habit of giving up 1st round picks like the one that in this week's Power Rankings on ESPN's website. And, the some of the poor choices in the 1st round when he does have it.

Jones reminds me that Wilson needs to go. His strategy of leveraging the future for the current has played out here in San Jose - without a cup. Time for a new one.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
The situation with Jones reminds me of when a football team benches a 1st round QB who's suppose to have been"The guy". Rarely do they ever come back from that and regain that "the guy" label.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
The situation with Jones reminds me of when a football team benches a 1st round QB who's suppose to have been"The guy". Rarely do they ever come back from that and regain that "the guy" label.

Yeppers. I'm very interested to see where he and his game is say a year from now.

I'm more than curious to see if he understands his game needs work, and is interested in
making corrections/adjustments. He's had some starts this year post "goalie consultant"
and has not looked improved while Dell has.

Reactions: Phu

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
Worth the 1st round pick?

Tough one, but for me it's still yes, apprehensively. Sharks wouldn't have made a SCF appearance without him, but since then, he hasn't been worth it.

Perhaps one of the reasons it's tough to say yes is Doug Wilson. He has a bad habit of giving up 1st round picks like the one that in this week's Power Rankings on ESPN's website. And, the some of the poor choices in the 1st round when he does have it.

Jones reminds me that Wilson needs to go. His strategy of leveraging the future for the current has played out here in San Jose - without a cup. Time for a new one.

He gave up a 1st and what turned into Sean Kuraly for Jones. Even if Sean Kuraly was traded straight up for Jones now, it wouldn't be fair.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
He gave up a 1st and what turned into Sean Kuraly for Jones. Even if Sean Kuraly was traded straight up for Jones now, it wouldn't be fair.

IDK what you mean by this. Kuraly was a prospect in the NCAA playing well below a PPG. for reference, 55 players in the NCAA were a PPG that year, so Kuraly wasn't some hotshot prospect. You're right that now that trade wouldnt be fair because Jones is so bad and Kuraly is a solid 3/4 liner, but that was not even close to the case in 2015. That 1st they gave up also turned out to be a nobody, and there are only 3 or 4 good players drafted in the 2nd round 2016 that you could say the Sharks missed on by trading that pick, but it's a crapshoot to assume the Sharks had those players identified.

Having said all of that, Carter Hart was in that 2nd round....

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
We are rehashing the oldest of histories, but even at the time it was a crazy deal. DW gave up an unprotected first from a bottom-ten team for an undrafted 25-year-old goaltender with a solid but unspectacular record.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We are rehashing the oldest of histories, but even at the time it was a crazy deal. DW gave up an unprotected first from a bottom-ten team for an undrafted 25-year-old goaltender with a solid but unspectacular record.

Except not really. I was opposed to the deal for reasons that have to do with how I approach goaltenders as assets but the idea that Martin Jones at the time of the trade was just an undrafted 25 year old goalie with a solid record is a flat out misrepresentation that you won't follow up on when challenged. Dude had a .923 save percentage as a backup in LA and was pretty widely regarded as a starter waiting to happen by plenty around the league while having a pretty spectacular AHL career over four seasons.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!

Well, he got us to the finals and he was pretty good for a period of time in teal. It's hard
to go back and look at trades as it becomes to easy to measure player performance based on
negative results. At the time it looked like a good hockey deal as we got an up and
coming goalie and gave up a 1st and a lower level prospect. Now we'd all like that
1st round pick back and he's likely not worth it today *and* he's the team whipping boy
that's not playing much so we can't beat him up so much.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
The Sharks have been one of the worst teams in the league at drafting and developing goalies since DW took over in 2003.

DW inherited Nabby, traded for Niemi, and traded for Jones. Except for Jones in 2016, goaltending has been an Achilles heel for the Sharks.

The only two goalies of note that DW has drafted are Greiss (44 gp w/ Sharks) and Stalock (62 gp w/ Sharks). Both played the majority of their NHL games with other teams, and were only used as backups in San Jose.

Jones is clearly a symptom of a much deeper issue this team has. This is an example of some a foundational challenge that DW has not been able to sort out in 16 years. Does anyone see this improving over the next few years?

I hope to be wrong, but I don't know how these goalie issues get solved in short order.

In all fairness, I have only looked at the Sharks, and have no clue if this is a league issue. Has any other team gone this long without a homegrown goalie earning their spot in the crease?

Looking back at the past 20 years of SC winners they all appear to be home grown, or generational goalies like Hasek and Roy.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I tend to agree with that last part. However, sifting through goalies to find a good one seems to be normal. Lots of teams go through promising goalies with little to show.

Stalock would have been hammered last night by a team with experienced forwards. He played awful, was out of position a lot, but got lucky too much against this reduced-threat Sharks.

Greiss is actually a better success story after leaving the Sharks. Some here trashed him constantly, and was happy to see him leave.

DW cannot draft worth shit. He's lucky on the Pavelski draft that people tend to solely look at thinking he's great.

Time for DW's tenure to end here in San Jose.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Chicken or the egg.

Since the Sharks don’t get to draft high end players, DW trades for them.
Drafting is a crap shoot. That’s my opinion.
Anyone can plead their case, focusing on the bad or the good. In reality, both bad and good are right. DW has made incredible trades and the team hasn’t drafted a worthwhile goalie. By the way, blaming DW for the draft is off base. He doesn’t decide. Never has.

Paka Ono

Pro Ice Girl Scout
Jun 29, 2011
SF
Roy was traded and it really only happened because the Nordiques became the Avalanche. No way in hell, Roy goes to the Nordiques had they stayed in Quebec.

Other than that, agree 100%. DW needs to buyout MJ this summer.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Shutout?!?

GxpW2qWwKYC9sz53TsGpon29eah2hiPq1SvDbKFh_CZj3vOttpzXfiDR85B_igMpkf6dNGOLY1jhWBV3BJZ0EixikBYLr2-U4m1OboNhe1f9SqPALULxGD9t3BRZi1QRv5iVEps5EiU5SzH3ubEOnLzykk-fYVCLLig

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad