Player Discussion: Martin Jones

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
FtF article w/ interview with a guy from InGoal, the goalie magazine.

Greg Balloch on why Sharks should start Dell

Basically corroborates my feelings that a lot of Jones' problems are physical limitations but does point to the fact that our defensive system does not mitigate those physical failings. He does suggest that goalie coaching might be a factor alongside with Jones' own development path and there may be a chance of Jones recovering his game in the future.

I've said several times, even if Jones is a better goalie, I do think Dell's style and athleticism is better suited for playing an opponent like Vegas. Long term I don't really want Dell, but right now I personally think he's our best bet to come back in this series. If Deboer refused to change that up for tonight's game, then he never will.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

Basically corroborates my feelings that a lot of Jones' problems are physical limitations but does point to the fact that our defensive system does not mitigate those physical failings. He does suggest that goalie coaching might be a factor alongside with Jones' own development path and there may be a chance of Jones recovering his game in the future.

Awesome read. Lots of good insights. Too bad about Jones deciding to completely change his game... meh.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

If Jones made a conscious choice to change his style, what the hell was he thinking? It's not like people sit down and say remember how intuitive Patrick Roy was? Or Carey Price is too technical for my tastes. It's about winning games. The goal scored by Theodore was a perfect example of his inability to rotate back to his post. He was so deep in his net I didn't think there was room for a backhand on the ice, but Jones went straight across and left plenty of room.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009

He definitely sounded optimistic about the potential for Jones to recover his game, assuming he is willing to accept it and do the work in the offseason.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If Jones made a conscious choice to change his style, what the hell was he thinking? It's not like people sit down and say remember how intuitive Patrick Roy was? Or Carey Price is too technical for my tastes. It's about winning games. The goal scored by Theodore was a perfect example of his inability to rotate back to his post. He was so deep in his net I didn't think there was room for a backhand on the ice, but Jones went straight across and left plenty of room.

That’s why I’m not sure if it’s actually true that he did intentionally change his style in order to be more athletic.

There was some word going around that going into [last] off-season, he wanted to shed the label of being a “cookie-cutter” guy who relied on technique, a goalie school kind of goalie, rely more on his instincts, be more aggressive.

“Some word” doesn’t sound all that substantiated IMO.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That’s why I’m not sure if it’s actually true that he did intentionally change his style in order to be more athletic.

“Some word” doesn’t sound all that substantiated IMO.
He doesn't look any more athletic. The things I observed about him this season is that he seems more often than not out of position to make a save AND he generally does not track the puck till its past him, in the net.

Reactions: Bleedred

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
He doesn't look any more athletic. The things I observed about him this season is that he seems more often than not out of position to make a save AND he generally does not track the puck till its past him, in the net.

Not only is he out of position he’s routinely miscalculating angles.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Found the problem. Jones at the postgame conference
ev8NBCb.gif

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I've said several times, even if Jones is a better goalie, I do think Dell's style and athleticism is better suited for playing an opponent like Vegas. Long term I don't really want Dell, but right now I personally think he's our best bet to come back in this series. If Deboer refused to change that up for tonight's game, then he never will.

One issue with Dell's style is that he's down, sitting on his butt too much. Cannot move well doing that.

Reactions: Bleedred

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Doesn't have the mental strength to be okay with being "boring and reliable". Ship him out.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Doesn't have the mental strength to be okay with being "boring and reliable". Ship him out.

Remember, that was something that one guy said he thought he heard. None of it is 100% confirmed or even reported by a reliable source.

We don’t even know whether or not it’s true that Jones did change his game to be more athletic. If he did make that change, it was probably because he wanted to perform better, not because he wasn’t okay with being “boring and reliable.”

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I notice the same things, particularly your last point. Doesn't track the puck well or till it's past him, which is why he gets ''Screened'' on shots that most goalies don't get beaten for goals on.

Like the first goal in game 4. I'm sure most of the goalies that have played a sizable amount of games have been beaten on that shot this year, but it doesn't happen as frequently with them as it happens with Jones.

And this series he's always off his angle. And even on the goals that don't look bad, he has no creativity or swagger. Like that sixth goal against in game 3 or almost any breakaway.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
We give him **** when he’s terrible but I’m more than happy giving him kudos when he has games like tonight and in game 5. What a performance

Mea culpa. I had zero faith in Jones but he proved me wrong in Games 5 and especially Game 6. Fitting Game of Jones shows up on the night of Game of Thrones.

PS when eating crow, sprinkle some salt for flavor!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tw1ster

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Don't get your hopes up on Jones. Just expect it'll be up and down throughout. The defense needs to show up consistently and not allow odd-man rushes too much. They do that they give themselves their best chance to win games.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad