Player discussion Jacob Trouba

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just read a USA Hockey article about Trouba being very happy with his future in Winnipeg. He apparantly is thinking about sticking around. Sign the kid Chevy!!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, he certainly didn't come back to pout. He's participating in some extra-cirricular stuff like being mic'd up in practice and the Nutcracker with the RWB. It's pretty encouraging. I think, maybe with the exception of Laine, he's the most important part of the Jets' future. Sign him up!

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Well, he certainly didn't come back to pout. He's participating in some extra-cirricular stuff like being mic'd up in practice and the Nutcracker with the RWB. It's pretty encouraging. I think, maybe with the exception of Laine, he's the most important part of the Jets' future. Sign him up!

Schiefele's not unimportant, but yeah.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yea it's become apparent to me this season Jacob is the lynchpin on our D core now and, fingers crossed, he and Morrissey will make a great 1st pair moving forward.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Yea it's become apparent to me this season Jacob is the lynchpin on our D core now and, fingers crossed, he and Morrissey will make a great 1st pair moving forward.

Buff is essential untradeable due to his monstrous $7M plus annual contract which still has 4 long years to go. Buff is a defensive liability. His indecent contract reflects his popularity with most of the Jets' fans, management's desperate situation to re-sign him last season, and his offensive upside. It's an affront to the Jets' fans that the Jets have the highest defencemen payroll in the NHL.

For the future, the Jets' defence will rely on Josh Morrisey as their best defenceman with Buff as No. 2. Engstrom has one more season remaining and hopefully he will not return. Postie and Char will be gone and Mylers may be traded due to his ability to land on the IR list. What about Happy Jacob Trouba? I am not convinced he likes it in Winnipeg long term. His long time desire to play in Michigan means Chevy will get a good haul for him if he trades him to the Detroit Red Wings for their 2017 high No. 1 draft pick plus a top-6 defenceman currently on their roster.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Buff is essential untradeable due to his monstrous $7M plus annual contract which still has 4 long years to go. Buff is a defensive liability. His indecent contract reflects his popularity with most of the Jets' fans, management's desperate situation to re-sign him last season, and his offensive upside. It's an affront to the Jets' fans that the Jets have the highest defencemen payroll in the NHL.

For the future, the Jets' defence will rely on Josh Morrisey as their best defenceman with Buff as No. 2. Engstrom has one more season remaining and hopefully he will not return. Postie and Char will be gone and Mylers may be traded due to his ability to land on the IR list. What about Happy Jacob Trouba? I am not convinced he likes it in Winnipeg long term. His long time desire to play in Michigan means Chevy will get a good haul for him if he trades him to the Detroit Red Wings for their 2017 high No. 1 draft pick plus a top-6 defenceman currently on their roster.

Absolute nonsense.

He's still a top 10 defensive scorer. He has excellent value and his contract is terrific.

He's got a low PDO (98.5), just like other 'bad contracts', 'disappointments', and 'trade chips' such as Wheeler (96.4), Perreault (97.6), and Ehlers (98.6).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Do Scheifele and Laine have a higher on ice shooting % than Lowry and Laine just because they are luckier?

Save % is more prone to the vagaries of chance, but I expect that if there were enough parameters for a suitable model, some D would contribute to fewer high quality chances and thereby a lower on ice save %.

Still, abundant caution is necessary when looking strictly at goal-based metrics.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
interesting on H&L today Gary said he talked to Trouba today and one of the things Gary asked him is would you like to sign big contract this off season and Jacob mentioned he still has some things he wants to prove to the organization (Gary speculated it was he wants to drive up his scoring). Then Gary said Q you asked to play top minutes on the RH side and that is what you are playing are you happy with that? Jacob A: I haven't played that roll when our team is healthy so I have to wait and see? Then Gary did a follow up to Maurice to respond to Jacob's comments and Maurice said point blank the way Josh and Jacob are playing nothing will change with their rolls when we are healthy.

I was driving so this is my memory of the events so take it for what its worth and maybe listen to the audio to get the actual quotes :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
interesting on H&L today Gary said he talked to Trouba today and one of the things Gary asked him is would you like to sign big contract this off season and Jacob mentioned he still has some things he wants to prove to the organization (Gary speculated it was he wants to drive up his scoring). Then Gary said Q you asked to play top minutes on the RH side and that is what you are playing are you happy with that? Jacob A: I haven't played that roll when our team is healthy so I have to wait and see? Then Gary did a follow up to Maurice to respond to Jacob's comments and Maurice said point blank the way Josh and Jacob are playing nothing will change with their rolls when we are healthy.

I was driving so this is my memory of the events so take it for what its worth and maybe listen to the audio to get the actual quotes :laugh:

I still have my doubts that Trouba's reluctance to sign in Winnipeg is all about role. I hope I'm wrong, and he's open to staying long term.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
interesting on H&L today Gary said he talked to Trouba today and one of the things Gary asked him is would you like to sign big contract this off season and Jacob mentioned he still has some things he wants to prove to the organization (Gary speculated it was he wants to drive up his scoring). Then Gary said Q you asked to play top minutes on the RH side and that is what you are playing are you happy with that? Jacob A: I haven't played that roll when our team is healthy so I have to wait and see?

This sounds like a guy that has plans to be elsewhere.

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg

I don't like his answers at all. During the summer not giving the Jets a chance to make a contract offer made it obvious that this is not about money. So then i hoped that maybe it actually was usage like his agent said. Now with these answers, its not sounding like usage is the issue. Hopefully a successful season with the Jets next year will change his mind because at this point, I think changing his mind is exactly what needs to happen.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Yea I am with you guys, those answers are not encouraging and to be honest sound like excuses to not sign. During the season, most guys tell the media and the fans what they want to hear, even if privately they have no intentions of signing. The fact that instead of doing that, he's hedging is extremely worrying. :( One way or the other, how Chevy handles the Trouba situation will come to define his GM reign.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
The best thing for the Jets and Trouba is for him to keep knocking it out of the park...Trouba will get a boat load of money and the Jets will get a killer return for him when they have to trade him away! win win I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad