Player discussion Jacob Trouba

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Let him know July 1 that he is wanted with an 8 year contract offer.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Don't think we can play his game until he gets to arbitration. Call his bluff now. Says he needs to improve his play even more so that he can get what he really deserves. How much is that Jacob? What if we offer that to you now?

Yes, it will kill the bank to pay him what he feels he needs, but I don't think we have a choice. If he gets to arbitration, he's as good as gone & his trade value won't be there either.

I am with you. If Chevy offers him like 7.85x8 and he refuses, he should be traded. That would make him, what the third highest paid d-man in the league? We can't afford to dilly-dally on this or we might end up in the Shattenkirk situation. If he doesn't want to sign this july and you move him you can get a d-man who is pretty good but not as good as Trouba and some futures like a Gostisbehere, Krug or Hanifin type. You wanna make sure that that player and the futures are ready to go in 3-4 years when the rest of the core is in its prime, rather than waiting and waiting and then moving him for a Shattenkirk like return in 3 years and then having to wait another 3 years for the futures from that trade to pan out by which time most of our core will be very expensive or nearing free agency and we'd be considering another rebuild.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
interesting on H&L today Gary said he talked to Trouba today and one of the things Gary asked him is would you like to sign big contract this off season and Jacob mentioned he still has some things he wants to prove to the organization (Gary speculated it was he wants to drive up his scoring). Then Gary said Q you asked to play top minutes on the RH side and that is what you are playing are you happy with that? Jacob A: I haven't played that roll when our team is healthy so I have to wait and see? Then Gary did a follow up to Maurice to respond to Jacob's comments and Maurice said point blank the way Josh and Jacob are playing nothing will change with their rolls when we are healthy.

I was driving so this is my memory of the events so take it for what its worth and maybe listen to the audio to get the actual quotes :laugh:

Just catching up.. still out of the country. Sorry if the following is repetitive... but I would like to contribute my 0.02.

Some people may have felt a sense of optimism from this interview, but I agree with those who have analyzed Trouba's responses as that of "shifting ground". His agent is of course the fly in the ointment.

I would love (!) to see Trouba stay on as a Jet, but the data does not support this.

Would like to see two decent players in trade for this guy. Even this result would be disappointing IMHO. Its not great for the Jets as a team; obviously he is an emerging superstar.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I would enjoy to move D. Stepan in exchange of Trouba - I know u don`t need another #center, but I think we could aquire an interesting player for Stepan.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I am with you. If Chevy offers him like 7.85x8 and he refuses, he should be traded. That would make him, what the third highest paid d-man in the league? We can't afford to dilly-dally on this or we might end up in the Shattenkirk situation. If he doesn't want to sign this july and you move him you can get a d-man who is pretty good but not as good as Trouba and some futures like a Gostisbehere, Krug or Hanifin type. You wanna make sure that that player and the futures are ready to go in 3-4 years when the rest of the core is in its prime, rather than waiting and waiting and then moving him for a Shattenkirk like return in 3 years and then having to wait another 3 years for the futures from that trade to pan out by which time most of our core will be very expensive or nearing free agency and we'd be considering another rebuild.

Is it really another rebuild if we fail to achieve anything between now and then, or just a continuation of the long ongoing rebuild?

I think it depends on the situation. Holding on to shattenkirk wasn't really a bad move for st Louis. They were legitimate contenders for the entire duration of that contract.

If we've got a serious chance at the cup for the next four years I could at least stomach holding onto him to the last minute.

Buuuut...That doesn't seem likely.

I also wouldn't be interested in players three four years out.

The current core of this team will be playing it's best hockey next season and the one after.

Maximize the next four years or you might as well be adding scheifele, wheeler, and little to the trade block as well

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Watching highlights from last night for the umpteenth time and loving it.

I also like to review our own play when things don't quite work out. What do you guys think of Trouba's positioning/play on Subban's power play goal. Was his movement right/wrong or simply reactionary in getting out of the way of the shot?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's tough he's great in our end but he does not contribute much offensively the way Buff does. What's that worth?

He actually contributes quite bit offensively at ES. Both him and Morrissey do. Trouba just hasn't figured out how to contribute on the PP which ultimately puts a lower ceiling on his point totals and will ultimately limit what kind of cash he will make.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I haven't done all the work yet either, but people need to stop using a different players salary as the only basis for a number that Trouba should get. We should start with a comparable player or two, but after that, when we look at that other players salary we have to take into account how many UFA years it accounted for, and what % of the cap that salary represented at the time it was signed. I've wanted sites like CapFriendly to show salary as a % of cap for a while, I think it would be nice to see.

Have to compare apples to apples.

Reactions: Mathil8

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I haven't done all the work yet either, but people need to stop using a different players salary as the only basis for a number that Trouba should get. We should start with a comparable player or two, but after that, when we look at that other players salary we have to take into account how many UFA years it accounted for, and what % of the cap that salary represented at the time it was signed. I've wanted sites like CapFriendly to show salary as a % of cap for a while, I think it would be nice to see.

I already looked at a number of dmen who signed for mid to ling term out of a bridge deal. The most popular term length was 4 to 5 seasons a d it ranged between 5.5 and 6 million. Nick Leddy is probably the best comp out there signed for 6 years at a 5.5 million cap hit back 2014-15 after finishing a 2 year bridge. His counting stats are similiar. That would but Trouba around 6 with inflation.

Noeller

Dec 13, 2007
Oil Country
there's a Jeff Hamilton (WFP) tweet out there suggesting 8m+ is a ballpark figure. That seems a bit much to me, tho I agree Trouba is great and would love to have him remain in Wpg.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Parayko signed a deal last season for 5.5 AAV. If he Cap goes up 5 percent this year that 5 percent is 5.75 AAV, If it goes up 10 percent its 6 AAV. The numbers like the 8 million being thrown out by Jeff Hamilton are ludicrous

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Parayko signed a deal last season for 5.5 AAV. If he Cap goes up 5 percent this year that 5 percent is 5.75 AAV, If it goes up 10 percent its 6 AAV. The numbers like the 8 million being thrown out by Jeff Hamilton are ludicrous

Agreed. That very well might be the opening ask but no way is h3 worth that much.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Parayko seems like a good comp (I haven't looked at the analytical #'s though). Was his 4 RFA years and 1 UFA years? (I think he would either be a UFA before the 2020 season or after. ) We only have 2 RFA years for Trouba. So we'll have to add for those too.

Reactions: Mathil8

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It's good to hear rumors that Trouba would like to stay a Jet, but the question for the Jets is what do you pay the guy ?? Buff is our best defenseman abnd he's making $ 7.8 mil per season and I think he's worth it. Good D man and can score.

This leaves Trouba--who isn't quite as good as Buff, and so far hasn't been putting up the scoring numbers that Buff has--so what do you pay him. Also keep in mind, if you pay him really big money $$$--then the more Morrissey will want.

I think Morrisssey is as every bit as good as Trouba is, but wont get the same money, but he won't be far off.

I see Chevy not wanting to much more than $ 6.5 mil over 5 -6 years on Trouba, and he may want around $ 8mil --so I hear. Chevy is "not" the type of guy that can be romanced into signing guys for more than their worth. ( Ladd is an example)

I think if Trouba won't sign for that ( 6.5)--it goes to arbitration--as I don't think Chevy will move to much off that figure. There are to many other good guys yet to sign. I also don't see them signing Statsny, as he's to old now, and we have an aging Little on the books--and his age is starting to show. You have to know when to say Bye bye to these aging players. Put emotions aside and look at reality.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If there's going to be an "odd man out" Trouba is the perfect candidate in my opinion. Market value will be sky high and we can fill that hole. I also don't see him as the #1 D that some people speak of.

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad