Player discussion Jacob Trouba

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Well, the Jets have only 2 games between now and the trade deadline. Results in those games should further show Chevy what he should do (hint: trade off Stafford at the very least).

Agreed. Regardless of the results of these two games Chevy needs to as you said move Stafford and listen in on offers for Thorburn/Stuart/Pavelec. Jets cannot let themselves be fooled by these late results and ignore an entire season. Failure to move Stafford in favor of "trying to make a run for a playoff spot" would be catastrophic. Too many Jets pending UFA's have walked for nothing over playoff hopes that never materialized, that needs to stop.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Agreed. Regardless of the results of these two games Chevy needs to as you said move Stafford and listen in on offers for Thorburn/Stuart/Pavelec. Jets cannot let themselves be fooled by these late results and ignore an entire season. Failure to move Stafford in favor of "trying to make a run for a playoff spot" would be catastrophic. Too many Jets pending UFA's have walked for nothing over playoff hopes that never materialized, that needs to stop.

TBH: I'd rather have some of our youth in the lineup versus some of the vets anyway. Be careful what you wish for (I know which thread you like to post in ;)) - moving those vets may improve the Jets record post TD.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
TBH: I'd rather have some of our youth in the lineup versus some of the vets anyway. Be careful what you wish for (I know which thread you like to post in ;)) - moving those vets may improve the Jets record post TD.

lol It has nothing to do with the tank. As you noted, moving Stafford and Thorburn is on balance in all likelyhood an anti-tank move. I just want to see the Jets do the right thing at the deadline

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
lol It has nothing to do with the tank. As you noted, moving Stafford and Thorburn is on balance in all likelyhood an anti-tank move. I just want to see the Jets do the right thing at the deadline

I know, and I agree with you regarding making the right move, thus the ;)

I do agree that it would probably be an anti-tank move, even if making those moves typically results in a poorer lineup. In this case, I think it's a double-win. Futures, + the youth inserted into the line-up is likely better than the players they're replacing.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Fraser had no issue with the NHL Department of Player Safety giving Jets defenceman Jacob Trouba a two-game suspension for his hit on Ottawa Senators forward Mark Stone on Sunday.

However, the veteran of 2,100 NHL regular season and playoff games believes Pittsburgh Penguins centre Evgeni Malkin should have been given a game misconduct and a suspension for his high hit on Jets captain Blake Wheeler last Thursday.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/02/21/former-referee-kerry-fraser-says-nhl-blew-call-on-malkin-hit

Exactly what many of us here have been saying. Fraser was pretty animated about this:

Fraser was so passionate about the situation that he called from a cruise ship in the South Pacific to get his point across.

“To me, the question is why was Evgeni Malkin’s hit not treated the same way,” Fraser said. “It was on an ineligible player to be checked. Wheeler didn’t have the puck, he didn’t touch the puck. It was (Mark) Stuart who made the play on the puck.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
yeah, the contortions some are going through (including the dops) to try and rationalize the idea that the two hits were so radically different that one warrants a suspension while the other doesn't even deserve a phone call are pretty hilarious. Really, I get the impression that the dops didn't really think all that much about the Malkin hit before deciding not to pursue it at all, and then was stuck when the Trouba hit happened and forced to go back and come up with a reason for not having done anything in the Malkin case...

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Don't really have a problem with Trouba getting 2 games. Problem is the inconsistency and double standard.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Don't really have a problem with Trouba getting 2 games. Problem is the inconsistency and double standard.

yes.

Apparently though, as long as there's contact with the body too, you can hit the head first and it's all good. So, have at it - just make sure your momentum carries you into the body (to any degree) eventually and you're golden! :D

Whileee

May 29, 2010
yes.

Apparently though, as long as there's contact with the body too, you can hit the head first and it's all good. So, have at it - just make sure your momentum carries you into the body (to any degree) eventually and you're golden! :D

Then they have to explain why Pastrnak got 2 games for this hit on Girardi. It was almost exactly like the hit on Wheeler in terms of intent and head contact, but with more body contact than Malkin's hit. If anything, Malkin's hit was worse than Pastrnak's.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
They seem quite comfortable with their own ridiculous inconsistency. These decisions should be in the hands of an impartial 3rd party.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Then they have to explain why Pastrnak got 2 games for this hit on Girardi. It was almost exactly like the hit on Wheeler in terms of intent and head contact, but with more body contact than Malkin's hit. If anything, Malkin's hit was worse than Pastrnak's.

wait...are you suggesting that the dops explanation for not having done anything in response to Malkin's hit on Wheeler might have been less than completely convincing? Is that what you are suggesting sir because if you are, well I think I'm going to have to take a moment to re-constitute myself! :madfire:

:sarcasm:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
As others have said. I don't mind the Trouba suspension. In fact, I think it's needed if the league wants to do something about the concussion issue.

But the league just showed that they're not interested in fixing the concussion issue by not doing anything about Malkin's hit. It's inconsistency at its worst.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Malkin not getting anything for the same thing is a ****ing joke.

It only proves if you are a star that is a poor sport you can head hunt and get away with it.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
In what world is a neck injury not getting hurt?

oh come on...you know what he means. Stone has concussion history so neck rather than head is hopefully a better outcome. Players will always get hurt.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
As others have said. I don't mind the Trouba suspension. In fact, I think it's needed if the league wants to do something about the concussion issue.

But the league just showed that they're not interested in fixing the concussion issue by not doing anything about Malkin's hit. It's inconsistency at its worst.

And it's exactly why I keep harping on how the NHL is going to get nailed eventually in a lawsuit. The NHL is only a faint shadow of the NFL but the NFL couldn't bully and bluster their way through the concussion issue so why the NHL thinks they can sweep it under the rug is absolutely beyond me. They only care about player safety as a facade and so long as it doesn't impact particular markets or star players. What would have happened if a Jets player targeted the captain of the Penguins for retribution for hits perceived by players as illegal during the course of the game to other players? Captain of a small market team? Whatevs.

I have no problem with Trouba's suspension and frankly would be happy if the league instituted a mandatory 3 game suspension for head contact, intentional or accidental. It's not going to stop guys from hitting at all but it certainly would give them reason to consider how they're aligning for the hit.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

Anybody who watched the game could tell Malkin knew exactly what he was doing. You could see he was being a big suck like he usually is as evidenced by a couple previous moments in the same game and wanted to lay out some punishment on a cheap play, even some classless Pens fans admitted this. The DoPeS should have been able to see this but obviously ignored the predatory aspect evidenced by the leap just cause the fact that Malkin was lucky to also get some of the body gave them an out to not discipline a star in anyway.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
IFOhRrs.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad