Player discussion Jacob Trouba

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
interesting on H&L today Gary said he talked to Trouba today and one of the things Gary asked him is would you like to sign big contract this off season and Jacob mentioned he still has some things he wants to prove to the organization (Gary speculated it was he wants to drive up his scoring). Then Gary said Q you asked to play top minutes on the RH side and that is what you are playing are you happy with that? Jacob A: I haven't played that roll when our team is healthy so I have to wait and see? Then Gary did a follow up to Maurice to respond to Jacob's comments and Maurice said point blank the way Josh and Jacob are playing nothing will change with their rolls when we are healthy.

I was driving so this is my memory of the events so take it for what its worth and maybe listen to the audio to get the actual quotes :laugh:

Fits exactly my prediction that Trouba will play out his contract and file for arbitration. He still thinks he can up his value by waiting. He's probably right but I hope he stays healthy.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
interesting on H&L today Gary said he talked to Trouba today and one of the things Gary asked him is would you like to sign big contract this off season and Jacob mentioned he still has some things he wants to prove to the organization (Gary speculated it was he wants to drive up his scoring). Then Gary said Q you asked to play top minutes on the RH side and that is what you are playing are you happy with that? Jacob A: I haven't played that roll when our team is healthy so I have to wait and see? Then Gary did a follow up to Maurice to respond to Jacob's comments and Maurice said point blank the way Josh and Jacob are playing nothing will change with their rolls when we are healthy.

I was driving so this is my memory of the events so take it for what its worth and maybe listen to the audio to get the actual quotes :laugh:

I'm not super optimistic. That said, I am hopeful if Chevy knows this he will trade him for a very close caliber player so the difference will be negligible.

If that doesn't happen, I really hope the jets make a huge splash like trading for Duchene and use the last 3 years Trouba s here to make a real push.Time is now.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This sounds like a guy that has plans to be elsewhere.

I don't like his answers at all. During the summer not giving the Jets a chance to make a contract offer made it obvious that this is not about money. So then i hoped that maybe it actually was usage like his agent said. Now with these answers, its not sounding like usage is the issue. Hopefully a successful season with the Jets next year will change his mind because at this point, I think changing his mind is exactly what needs to happen.

Yea I am with you guys, those answers are not encouraging and to be honest sound like excuses to not sign. During the season, most guys tell the media and the fans what they want to hear, even if privately they have no intentions of signing. The fact that instead of doing that, he's hedging is extremely worrying. :( One way or the other, how Chevy handles the Trouba situation will come to define his GM reign.

I must have blown it with my attempted quote because Gary did not give off that vibe. It felt more positive.

Fits exactly my prediction that Trouba will play out his contract and file for arbitration. He still thinks he can up his value by waiting. He's probably right but I hope he stays healthy.

This is closer to the feel I got from what Trouba was hinting at when listening to Gary. I think (well I am preying) our team comes together next season and he has a monster year and gets paid. I think it will be too hard to walk away from Morrissey, Schief, Ehlers, and Laine by the end of our playoff run next season.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Lawless's vibe was positive, but that doesn't mean he is reading the situation right. The fact that he won't sign this off season, despite getting exactly what he requesting during the off-season hold out is a big red flag.

Chevy has basically said that he doesn't want to trade him and my guess is we will hold on to Trouba until the last moment, then trade him.

As a result, I hope the Jets draft the best defenseman available this draft, due to a possible shortage being created on the right side due to Trouba's absence.

I really hope I'm wrong on this because we need Trouba.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I'm on the fence with hoping they trade Trouba if he doesn't re-sign this summer, or trying to get him re-signed in the summer of 2018.

I really don't like the idea of letting them get so close to UFA status that arbitration can get them there. But, if his goal is really to play another season (2017-2018) in the hope that he can increase his next contract, it might be worth the risk.

A locked up long term Trouba would be huge for this team. Becoming, if not already one of the MVP's on the roster IMO.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I listened to it and go a much more positive vibe than some got, It sounded to me like he was pretty open to signing a new deal but wants to prove his worth to them, perhaps the plan all along was to let Trouba play his 2 years on his bridge and move Buff when the time comes to sign Trouba long term, It's pretty interesting to me that Buff has pretty much a NMC for 2 years but then that NMC becomes pretty modified and It's not coincidence i don't think that Trouba signed a 2 year bridge.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I'm on the fence with hoping they trade Trouba if he doesn't re-sign this summer, or trying to get him re-signed in the summer of 2018.

I really don't like the idea of letting them get so close to UFA status that arbitration can get them there. But, if his goal is really to play another season (2017-2018) in the hope that he can increase his next contract, it might be worth the risk.

A locked up long term Trouba would be huge for this team. Becoming, if not already one of the MVP's on the roster IMO.

Completely agree with you here, Huffer. Man has Morrissey - Trouba ever been good though. So much fun to watch these guys. I honestly didn't expect this from JoMo this year. Admittedly I was having some doubts about him. But what an intelligent young defenceman he is. :nod:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Don't think we can play his game until he gets to arbitration. Call his bluff now. Says he needs to improve his play even more so that he can get what he really deserves. How much is that Jacob? What if we offer that to you now?

Yes, it will kill the bank to pay him what he feels he needs, but I don't think we have a choice. If he gets to arbitration, he's as good as gone & his trade value won't be there either.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

He may just tell the team he's not interested in discussing a contract extension yet.

I don't think he'll be traded this summer regardless of his motives.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
He may just tell the team he's not interested in discussing a contract extension yet.

I don't think he'll be traded this summer regardless of his motives.

Don't think we can play his game until he gets to arbitration. Call his bluff now. Says he needs to improve his play even more so that he can get what he really deserves. How much is that Jacob? What if we offer that to you now?

Yes, it will kill the bank to pay him what he feels he needs, but I don't think we have a choice. If he gets to arbitration, he's as good as gone & his trade value won't be there either.

And what if he wants to wait to discuss contracts until the summer of 2018? (Like AC indicates)

I hear what you're saying because I've been thinking if he didn't sign this summer we should likely move him.

I guess I'm just softening on that a bit. If there is a chance that he could re-sign long term in the summer of 2018 I think I would take it. He's that important to the long term success of this team IMO.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
And what if he wants to wait to discuss contracts until the summer of 2018? (Like AC indicates)

I hear what you're saying because I've been thinking if he didn't sign this summer we should likely move him.

I guess I'm just softening on that a bit. If there is a chance that he could re-sign long term in the summer of 2018 I think I would take it. He's that important to the long term success of this team IMO.

I hear you, but that's totally his game (or should I say his ****y agent's game). Why should we trust them after the stuff they pulled in the offseason? Chevy needs to sit down with him & at least discuss.

He absolutely needs to get at least some sort of verbal assurances that a deal can be reached, what they see as some of the requirements for a deal to be reached, and if that goes well, then maybe you can let this go for another year. Without that, we'll get taken to the cleaners, almost certainly.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I hear you, but that's totally his game (or should I say his ****y agent's game). Why should we trust them after the stuff they pulled in the offseason? Chevy needs to sit down with him & at least discuss.

He absolutely needs to get at least some sort of verbal assurances that a deal can be reached, what they see as some of the requirements for a deal to be reached, and if that goes well, then maybe you can let this go for another year. Without that, we'll get taken to the cleaners, almost certainly.

It's going to be stressful that's for sure until he's signed.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg

Yup I would not trust the Troba camp with a 10 foot pole.....He either is willing to work out a deal this summer/fall....Or you shop him hard and get top dollar before he is ONE arbitration year away from being a UFA........so you don't get the shaft in a trade deal.

Chevy has to stay ahead of the curve on this one and trade him 6 months too soon (to get FULL value) rather then 6 months to late hoping to get a deal done...IMHO

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Man, this whole Trouba thing is making me bipolar. From one extreme to the other...

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yup I would not trust the Troba camp with a 10 foot pole.....He either is willing to work out a deal this summer/fall....Or you shop him hard and get top dollar before he is ONE arbitration year away from being a UFA........so you don't get the shaft in a trade deal.

Chevy has to stay ahead of the curve on this one and trade him 6 months too soon (to get FULL value) rather then 6 months to late hoping to get a deal done...IMHO

If Touba's real goal is to get to UFA then you make him him play out the string.

-He has 1 yr left on his deal.
-He files for arbitration and the Jets choose 1yr. (I think this is the point he signs long term) if he doesn't sign make him go through with the hearing.
-He files for arbitration again etc...

Trouba will leave a lot of $$$$ on the table. More than he will likely be able to recover in UFA. Yes he will likely get paid handsomely and how many millions does anyone really need. But what's missing is any sort of finacial security. He's one errant stick away from having it all go up in a puff of smoke. It's one reason why so few players of Trouba's talent level ever go through the full process. As they reach their mid twenties and get engaged/married/start families, financial security becomes more important.

It would also send a message to future players and their agents. Jets management will not be manipulated

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If Touba's real goal is to get to UFA then you make him him play out the string.

-He has 1 yr left on his deal.
-He files for arbitration and the Jets choose 1yr. (I think this is the point he signs long term) if he doesn't sign make him go through with the hearing.
-He files for arbitration again etc...

Trouba will leave a lot of $$$$ on the table. More than he will likely be able to recover in UFA. Yes he will likely get paid handsomely and how many millions does anyone really need. But what's missing is any sort of finacial security. He's one errant stick away from having it all go up in a puff of smoke. It's one reason why so few players of Trouba's talent level ever go through the full process. As they reach their mid twenties and get engaged/married/start families, financial security becomes more important.

It would also send a message to future players and their agents. Jets management will not be manipulated

Great post and I feel like you have been one step ahead on this one since the start. I hope the bolded is how it unfolds with Jake signing long term on the courthouse steps.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Endorsement pocket change

BTW does the famous Trouba App still exist?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Great post and I feel like you have been one step ahead on this one since the start. I hope the bolded is how it unfolds with Jake signing long term on the courthouse steps.

I expect a last minute signing as well. There is no way is agent doesn't take this right to the brink of arbitration. We have more than enough of a sample to know what type of hand he plays.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I have read a few posts here about taking Trouba to arbitration twice should the need arise and the Jets refuse to trade him (or not find the appropriate deal). I reviewed Shea Weber's situation from a few years ago in which he was taken to arbitration by the Preds in 2011-12 and then discovered that he could not be taken to team-elected arbitration the following year (part of the old CBA). This resulted in the Flyers signing him to an offer sheet which was front-loaded and the Preds matched. Having lost Suter to free agency to last year for nothing they could not afford to lose a player of Weber's stature for peanuts.

With the new CBA, would the Jets be able to take Trouba to arbitration in back-to-back seasons should the need arise and they so desire?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have read a few posts here about taking Trouba to arbitration twice should the need arise and the Jets refuse to trade him (or not find the appropriate deal). I reviewed Shea Weber's situation from a few years ago in which he was taken to arbitration by the Preds in 2011-12 and then discovered that he could not be taken to team-elected arbitration the following year (part of the old CBA). This resulted in the Flyers signing him to an offer sheet which was front-loaded and the Preds matched. Having lost Suter to free agency to last year for nothing they could not afford to lose a player of Weber's stature for peanuts.

With the new CBA, would the Jets be able to take Trouba to arbitration in back-to-back seasons should the need arise and they so desire?

The Jets won't need to take him to arbitration as Trouba's agent will elect it. He's been know to do it with most of his clients.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Shea Weber didn't file for arbitration. The predators did. The teams get a short window to do so if a player doesn't do it. Weber chose 1 yr instead of 2. The next year he chose not to file again but the CBA says a team can only do it once. So he was in limbo until the offersheet. A player can file for arbitration multiple times though

It would be interesting to see what the Jets do if Trouba plays out his contract and chooses not to file for arbitration. But I expect that Overhardt will file. Weber is an unusual case.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
90% chance he goes unless he gets buff type money or better.

I would be happy with a good d prospect and a couple of first round picks. I think Philly is likely destination. Emergence of morrissey has changed situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad