Prospect Info: Player Discussion: Connor Brown - The kid's alright, eh?

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Always love seeing hometown boys having success with the team.

13996028.jpg

This was my favourite moment of the CC.
Toronto kids making an impact for their childhood team.
It's been a long time.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't think he can carry much more mass and not have it affect his skating. Just a bit more like Kadri did so he becomes stronger and harder to separate from the puck. I could see him as a Patrick Sharp type moving up and down the top 3 lines and being the energy winger for Willie or Matthews.

tough to say, I don't see him turning into a 220lb tank by any means but I could see some more lower body mass - I know a guy that plays for the Devils who's 6'1" and 210-220, was always shocked that he weighed even close to that but skinner upper body and massive tree trunk legs, which he said is pretty common and that it actually sped him up/made him more maneuverable from his previous skinnier state

Kadri's probably a good comparison though, I think both stand up too tall when skating and are a little off balance as a result, and both go down too often

Wouldn't be concerned if he sticks as a scoring line winger but if he's a checking liner I'd want some mass to help him separate opposing players from the puck

Either way, he's an NHL player which is awesome as the 156th guy taken in his year. Plus I like saying "Downtown Connor Brown"

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
He has a very very accurate shot. Always picks the open spots whether that is over glove, blocker or pads.
Also as others have said he made his biggest weakness (skating) into a strength. He has beaten a lot of defenders out wide this year that suprised me, he is quite fast.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Seems like a guy that just gives 110 on and off the ice. His last year in Erie I thought he was going to be too small to have an impact in the NHL, but just a few years later he looks so stocky now and he's turned his size into a strength.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He has a very very accurate shot. Always picks the open spots whether that is over glove, blocker or pads.
Also as others have said he made his biggest weakness (skating) into a strength. He has beaten a lot of defenders out wide this year that suprised me, he is quite fast.

His shot has a ton of zip too, be totally caught Holtby by surprise with no screen the other night

Agree with the skating, he looks awkward but his speed and maneuverability are totally fine. Would like to see him a be a little harder to knock down

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Not the biggest, strongest, fastest, nor the best shot. Will never be accused of having the greatest skill set. He is, however, one of the more intelligent, hard working players on the team and has and has had one of the more efficient games on every team he's played on. He has the knack for being in the right place at the right time and capitalizing on his chances while playing a responsible game due to his drive and competitive spirit. If he can gain a little more weight and strength, I see him as being a less physical Gary Roberts.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
tough to say, I don't see him turning into a 220lb tank by any means but I could see some more lower body mass - I know a guy that plays for the Devils who's 6'1" and 210-220, was always shocked that he weighed even close to that but skinner upper body and massive tree trunk legs, which he said is pretty common and that it actually sped him up/made him more maneuverable from his previous skinnier state

Kadri's probably a good comparison though, I think both stand up too tall when skating and are a little off balance as a result, and both go down too often

Wouldn't be concerned if he sticks as a scoring line winger but if he's a checking liner I'd want some mass to help him separate opposing players from the puck

Either way, he's an NHL player which is awesome as the 156th guy taken in his year. Plus I like saying "Downtown Connor Brown"

I like your skating evaluation skills.

What do think about Nylander - he seems very upright, but, is it a bad thing (kind of) or would he benefit from a bit of Gretzky forward lean. Can players modify their style or change their skating style at this point in their lives though? or would it be quite difficult to change their skating styles?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
he's on pace for 19 goals, kid hardly gets talked about. His game reminds me of Patrick Sharp, not really the biggest/strongest/most skilled but the effort and two way play really compliment Matthews/Hyman very well. He's been a better fit than willy tbh

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kunitz is the best, love this guy the way he and Mathews play! Ooops I mean Brown.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Was always high on Brown and saw top 6 potential. The guy just produces anywhere he goes. Good speed, great hockey IQ, and works hard every shift. And the great thing is he doesn't have stone hands.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Brown is a guy you can insert anywhere in your lineup.

Brown, Soshnikov and Hyman are all like that because they're hard-working, great defensively with some skill offensively. We have a lot of players like that. Soon Korshkov, Grundstrom, and maybe Leispic will be also apart of that group.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Very wise pick by us. I think we all knew he was overshadowed and indeed good back then as well.

Mad Brills*

He's an RFA this summer.
Would a 2-3 year deal at around 3 million work?

Mad Brills*

Eh. Was about mirtle's podcast saying he could see him getting close to 3 aav due to his point productin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad