Prospect Info: Player Discussion: Connor Brown - The kid's alright, eh?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
brown is by far our smartest defensive player, his stick on D is amazing

great D, works hard and enough skill to play lines 1, 2, or 3

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Matthews
JVR
Marner
Rielly
Kadri
Nylander
Gardiner
Gauthier

All very exciting 20 something first round picks. I seriously love them all.

I own a Brown sweater.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Yet he made it all the way to the 6th round because he was a skilled but defensive liability on a tire fire of an Otters team. :popcorn:

He realized his weaknesses & he worked on them, he improved his game. He has developed into one of our best two way players.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
He realized his weaknesses & he worked on them, he improved his game. He has developed into one of our best two way players.

The Otters also drafted McDavid and looked a lot better and so did Brown. Looked night and day better defensively in fact.

Maybe it wasn't really Brown. Maybe it was the team that made him look bad.

He looked good defensively on the Marlies, too.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I remember reading that Brown was something like 5'7 when Erie drafted him, so he grew ~5 inches over his time in junior.

That isn't surprising. How tall was he when the Leafs drafted him? Plus I think its 4 inches if that's the case.

I believe he's listed at 5'11, not 6'.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
The Otters also drafted McDavid and looked a lot better and so did Brown. Looked night and day better defensively in fact.

Agreed, mostly. He knew the defensive side of the game but like many youngsters maybe thought the offensive portion would negate the need for the defensive side of it. He adjusted his game to cover the whole ice consistently.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Pretty sure Brown being a -72 in his draft year had a huge impact combined with him being small. It also really doesn't help that in 2011-2012 +/- was still a way more accepted stat. Probably scared away a ton of hockey minds because of it.

A guy with his stats in his draft year goes 2nd/3rd round if they aren't -72 and small.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Brown was recognized by the OHL coaches as one of the league's top penalty killers as well. Think they voted him 3rd best IIRC.

He was -72 because it was one of the worst teams in OHL history.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Brown is probably our best defensive forward, as a rookie. You could play him on ANY line, whether it's the first line or the 3rd line, and he will look like he belongs. Then you can throw him out on the PK and he'll thrive. And then you can throw him on with a minute left protecting a 1 goal lead, and he will perform.

Every championship team needs a guy like Brown.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Brown has to be the most determined player I have ever seen. Literally was written off at all levels of hockey but somehow keeps improving and became a dominate player at every level with a solid rookie campaign in the show.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Brown was recognized by the OHL coaches as one of the league's top penalty killers as well. Think they voted him 3rd best IIRC.

He was -72 because it was one of the worst teams in OHL history.

I'm pretty sure Burke didn't even know who he was when he made that draft selection.

armi5718

May 9, 2009
Brown has to be the most determined player I have ever seen. Literally was written off at all levels of hockey but somehow keeps improving and became a dominate player at every level with a solid rookie campaign in the show.

Try playing ANY game with him. Cards, soccer, volleyball, horseshoes etc. He and his brother are the most competitive people I've ever met in my life. The urge to win burns in this dude 24/7 which is one of the reasons he's such a high motor guy.

Last edited:

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Try playing ANY game with him. Cards, soccer, volleyball, horseshoes etc. He and his brother are the most competitive people I've ever met in my life. The urge to win burns in this dude 24/7 which is one of the reasons he's such a high motor guy.

You play to win. Having fun is secondary else there would be no keeping score.

Loving Connor's swiss-army knife game for sure.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Brown is probably our best defensive forward, as a rookie. You could play him on ANY line, whether it's the first line or the 3rd line, and he will look like he belongs. Then you can throw him out on the PK and he'll thrive. And then you can throw him on with a minute left protecting a 1 goal lead, and he will perform.

Every championship team needs a guy like Brown.

Brown is a catalyst, he can play any role & he can make any line work. He's almost at 20 for the year playing a more defensive role. He is a "real" two way player.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Really hope he chips in his 20th to cap off a stellar rookie year.

I want him with Matthews and Nylander full time.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Connor Brown is every good cliche you can think of.

He is a high motor player. He is an Elevator player (he can play up and down the line up). He is a heart and soul player. He is a swiss army knife. He is the definition of good defense leads to good offense.

I want him to reach 20 goals before the season ends. He deserves it for everything he has been through over the course of his young career.

I always love a story about a late round pick making the show, and it makes the story better when the player is actually a key contributor opposed to a back up of some sort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad