Prospect Info: Player Discussion: Connor Brown - The kid's alright, eh?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If he plays like he did last fall and in his post-deadline call up, no doubt in my mind.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Beyond Matthews, Marner and Nylander, he's firmly our 4th best prospect. He has handled every hurdle thrown his way and excelled.

If he catches the right kind of chemistry with Matthews, he could be a first liner.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I have to say yes. There might be a hiccup with johnson and will depend on how many rookies we are willing to play, but he deserves it.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Hard to say no. He sure looks ready.

The roster looks pretty crowded, though. Guys like Lupul, Michalek, and Laich are going to be on the roster. So there's only so many rookies we can fit in. But from what I see and hear, looks like Brown is ready. Can the same be said for Kapanen or Hyman?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matthews, Nylander, Brown, Soshnikov, Hyman and Marner = 1/2 of Leafs forward being rookies.

That is even without Jimmy Vesey who might also be in the picture.

Add JVR, Kadri and Komarov as vets and automatics and you have 9 forwards.

That leaves Bozak, Laich, Lupul, Michalek, Greening, Holland battling it out for depth line duties and roster spots.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
The draft is going to be interesting... Not sure who will be coming/ going..

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He should be on Kadri's line with Leivo. Thats a nice third line of you wanted to call it that. More like a secondbut depth does that 4 ya.

Kadri would eat most third lines up with them 2 with him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I really like the kid
Top 6 upside imo
He'd have to **** the bed at training camp not to make the team if I was picking it
Lots of rookies to make room for though and how many are they willing to play?
Babcock does seem to like his vet's so that could be interesting

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yes. Future Captain. He's a leader by example and words.

Although he is captain material he is a long shot and a long way away.
Lou said that rielly has all the stuff tobe a captain, buthe is a long way away from being ready for such a responsibility and he has 3 more nhl years experience over brown.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Although he is captain material he is a long shot and a long way away.
Lou said that rielly has all the stuff tobe a captain, buthe is a long way away from being ready for such a responsibility and he has 3 more nhl years experience over brown.

I don't believe Rielly is captain material. Good player. But doesn't command the same respect that players like Brown and prolly Matthews will. Just my opinion. I also think the next captain will be a leader amongst the forward group.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't believe Rielly is captain material. Good player. But doesn't command the same respect that players like Brown and prolly Matthews will. Just my opinion. I also think the next captain will be a leader amongst the forward group.

Could be, but that was lou lamoriello's opinion not mine.
Fwiw lou also said rielly commands a lot of resect In the dressing room.
Either way my point is lou will not give rhe C to a kid that has 3-4 years in the nhl, so I cannot see him giving it to another kid with less experience.

I could see mathews with the C in 5or 6 years though.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
A bit early for the poll. It depends on which offseason moves we make.

If we go with the 'go with what we got' approach, then for sure...

If we decide to sign some key peices (ala Stamkos, + 1 other forward)... then I think there is a good chance Brown gets put back to the Marlies (only temporarily). Brown's contract allows for a bit more flexibility.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
A bit early for the poll. It depends on which offseason moves we make IMO.

If we decide to sign some key pieces (ala Stamkos, + 1 other forward)... then I think there is a chance Brown gets put back to the Marlies (only temporarily). Brown's contract allows for a bit more flexibility than some other peices (ala Marner).

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Hard to say no. He sure looks ready.

The roster looks pretty crowded, though. Guys like Lupul, Michalek, and Laich are going to be on the roster. So there's only so many rookies we can fit in. But from what I see and hear, looks like Brown is ready. Can the same be said for Kapanen or Hyman?
Brown does seem ready, but the cut-off is going to be high.

Hopefully, Babcock is willing to ice a team with a higher than average number of rookies, because I think Mathews, Marner, Nylander, Soshnikov, Hyman are ready. We're also seeing a rookie in Zaitsev and some youngsters in Carrick, Manrincin, and Corrado.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
A bit early for the poll. It depends on which offseason moves we make IMO.

If we decide to sign some key pieces (ala Stamkos, + 1 other forward)... then I think there is a chance Brown gets put back to the Marlies (only temporarily). Brown's contract allows for a bit more flexibility than some other peices (ala Marner).

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't believe this poll, 39 to 2? Really?

I mean yes it should be that lopsided. Brown should be on this team next year. But I'm read the lineup threads, about half of the people who post lineups don't have Brown in them and now this poll is 39 to 2? Where did all those people go?

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
He's a hound on the puck! Been HUGE for the Marlies in the playoffs and has made himself a full time fan in Babcock. I say he makes Babcock's team out of camp.

Discuss.

hahaha

Im a huge fan too....really hope he is there at the start of the season.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Might be the most deserving & consistent of the players regularly mentioned moving up from the Marlies.

Great work ethic with the skill to take advantage of his successful battles.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The guy is an against all odds type guy. I wonder if he has it in him to be one of those Mark Recchi/Luc Robitaille kind of guys who just compiles and compiles points despite not necessarily having what you'd imagine to succeed.

saminator

Jan 24, 2016
Him, Kapanen and Carrick really impressed me in the playoffs so far. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the team next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad