Prospect Info: Player Discussion: Connor Brown - The kid's alright, eh?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Brown's done pretty well on the PP. nice goal and assist in last two games. I would like to see him stay there, I imagine in place of Bozak. He's almost matched Bozak's totals in two games. He's got smarts and finish. Him, Matthews and Nylander with JVR in front, with Gardiner on the point look pretty good.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
I love seeing him do so well. He was a huge leaf growing up as were his parents and grandparents. He's a local boy living the dream.

He's a humble kid and a terrific talent.

Could hit 20 goals and 40 points

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
If Brown can improve his shot I could see him regularly scoring 20 goals per season, especially if he plays with Matthews

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I always pegged him as a plausible 2 way 2nd line type.

But if he keeps getting to play with Auston i see some Stevie Thomas upside there.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I always pegged him as a plausible 2 way 2nd line type.

But if he keeps getting to play with Auston i see some Stevie Thomas upside there.

You have to think Marner or Nylander will end up in that spot long term though. You want to spread it around, but I don't really see Marner and Nylander together, and I'm not sure you want them all on their own line.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You know i kind of like them on separate lines. All three are capable of driving a legit scoring line and having 3 of them would make us kind of impossible to stop. It's like pittsburgh with crosby malkin kessel on different lines in the playoffs last year.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Brown has played 19+ mins in the past five games, scored 3 goals and got 4 assists, and he is a key part of our PK as well. Love his motor and effort every shift. So happy we have guys like him outside the big 3. Could definitely be another building block for us. Pretty good from a 6th rounder.

armi5718

May 9, 2009
Brown has played 19+ mins in the past five games, scored 3 goals and got 4 assists, and he is a key part of our PK as well. Love his motor and effort every shift. So happy we have guys like him outside the big 3. Could definitely be another building block for us. Pretty good from a 6th rounder.

He had the highest VO2 Max on the team by like 10 points I hear.

He comes from a line of pro hockey players and endurance athletes. The kid will never get tired, he could play all night and never get tired.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Always love seeing hometown boys having success with the team.

13996028.jpg

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Bumping this since the Matthews thread has been about Brown the last 2 pages.

Kid looks good on the PK

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I just think he needs to add more strength. He isn't a bullet but he gets where he needs to be. He works hard and will win more battles as he beefs up which is way easier to do than to add new skills. Everything else will get a bit better if the strength improves.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I just think he needs to add more strength. He isn't a bullet but he gets where he needs to be. He works hard and will win more battles as he beefs up which is way easier to do than to add new skills. Everything else will get a bit better if the strength improves.

I think his skating has become a little underrated. It was definitely his big weakness coming up, and he still looks awkward, but he's actually reasonably fast now IMO - I think if he wasn't awkward looking that we would completely let go of the skating apprehension around Brown

If he ends up in a top 6 role I like the idea of him staying light/as fast as he can be, but if he ends up in a bottom 6 role I agree with the idea that he'd do well with a little more weight to throw around

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The Hyman -- Matthews -- Brown is really clicking and might already be Leafs best trio and line.

Exactly we have 4 or 5 real potential stars. Fill the rest of the lineup with hard workers like Brown and Hyman. You can't ask for more. We do live in a cap Era.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
He is deceptively fast. I feel like some D don't expect him to just blow by them on the zone exit. Great forechecker too.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
A new one for one of McDavid's old line-mate.. and Toronto's own Rookie....

connor-brown.jpg

Connor Brown
Right Wing -- shoots R
Born Jan 14 1994 -- Toronto, ONT
22 yrs. ago
Height 5.11 -- Weight 185

RECENT STATS:

2015-16 - Toronto Marlies - AHL
34 Games... 11 Goals... 18 Assists... 29 Points... +10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 - AHL PLAYOFFS
15 Games... 7 Goals... 2 Assists... 9 Points... -6
2015-16 - Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
7 Games... 1 Goals... 5 Assists... 6 Points... -2
*2016-17 - Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
37 Games... 8 Goals... 9 Assists... 17 Points... +6

Brownie's Rookie Romp: Connor Brown 2016-17 Highlights - TML (HD)

Last edited:

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
A new one for McDavid's old line-mate.. and Toronto's own Rookie....

connor-brown.jpg

Connor Brown
Right Wing -- shoots R
Born Jan 14 1994 -- Toronto, ONT
22 yrs. ago
Height 5.11 -- Weight 185

RECENT STATS:

2015-16 - Toronto Marlies - AHL
34 Games... 11 Goals... 18 Assists... 29 Points... +10
2016 - AHL PLAYOFFS
15 Games... 7 Goals... 2 Assists... 9 Points... -6
2015-16 - Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
7 Games... 1 Goals... 5 Assists... 6 Points... -2
*2016-17 - Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
37 Games... 8 Goals... 9 Assists... 17 Points... +6

Brownie's Rookie Romp: Connor Brown 2016-17 Highlights - TML (HD)

gahhh... he was hardly McDavids line-mate. This infuriates me when people keep bringing this up. He was for about 20 games, and for the rest he was playing with Fox and Gaunce. He was never the by product of McDavid.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
This guy has been underestimated at every level he's played at

Yet he continues to prove everyone wrong

Connor Brown is a prime example of how among fans, work ethnic is the most underrated skill of a player. Everyone just likes to talk about raw talent

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
is it crazy to think that he might be a viable top line RW option? His production since getting to the Matthews line has been more than adequate

Even if that's "Viable top line RW as long as he's playing with a franchise centre" that's an incredible find where he was picked

Connor Brown is a prime example of how among fans, work ethnic is the most underrated skill of a player. Everyone just likes to talk about raw talent

Not discounting his work ethic, but I think it was more skating that was the knock on him than lack of talent, he was a scoring line player in junior too - produced fine for a 1st year eligible player when we drafted him

I am impressed with his wrist shot though, he's found another gear there

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
gahhh... he was hardly McDavids line-mate. This infuriates me when people keep bringing this up. He was for about 20 games, and for the rest he was playing with Fox and Gaunce. He was never the by product of McDavid.

He played with him a little more than that.. and there was also some interaction and plays made during partial line-changes..

I think you took it the wrong way.. I think he actually "helped" McDavid, at times.. :)

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
This guy has been underestimated at every level he's played at

Yet he continues to prove everyone wrong

No, Brown does not succeed because of his work ethic. Everyone has a good work ethic at this level. He succeeds because he is very, very talented.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
No, Brown does not succeed because of his work ethic. Everyone has a good work ethic at this level. He succeeds because he is very, very talented.

Not every single player in the NHL has an equal amount of work ethic. There are some NHL players who have stronger work ethic than others

It's the same thing with raw talent. Everyone in the NHL is talented. Not everyone in the NHL have the same amount of talent

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think his skating has become a little underrated. It was definitely his big weakness coming up, and he still looks awkward, but he's actually reasonably fast now IMO - I think if he wasn't awkward looking that we would completely let go of the skating apprehension around Brown

If he ends up in a top 6 role I like the idea of him staying light/as fast as he can be, but if he ends up in a bottom 6 role I agree with the idea that he'd do well with a little more weight to throw around

I don't think he can carry much more mass and not have it affect his skating. Just a bit more like Kadri did so he becomes stronger and harder to separate from the puck. I could see him as a Patrick Sharp type moving up and down the top 3 lines and being the energy winger for Willie or Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad