Plans, Trades, and Automobiles: Fixing the Winged Wheel II

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 3 min
MIke Babcock also reiterated no. 1 priority for #RedWings to improve this off-season is top-4 defenseman, preferably right-shot.

Nice try mike lol

@HeleneStJames: Mike Babcock said he called Nicklas Lidstrom about #RedWings asst. coach job, told him Mrs. Lidstrom happier in DET. Lidstrom didn't bite.

haha, awesome.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Nice try mike lol

@HeleneStJames: Mike Babcock said he called Nicklas Lidstrom about #RedWings asst. coach job, told him Mrs. Lidstrom happier in DET. Lidstrom didn't bite.

Would have been nice.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Nice try mike lol

I wonder if he's thought about Chelios. Cheli was just saying how much Brendan Smith reminded him of himself as a youngster, trying to figure everything out. Might be the best thing for the Wings right now.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Nice try mike lol

And then when he's here, we drug him, slip on some pads, then force him onto the ice. Huehuehue

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I wonder if he's thought about Chelios. Cheli was just saying how much Brendan Smith reminded him of himself as a youngster, trying to figure everything out. Might be the best thing for the Wings right now.

@AnsarKhanMLive: Babcock added Chris Chelios is not interested in being a coach full-time.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Graham of Thrones, nice

also, feel like Lidstrom would be a good assistant coach. Doesn't seem rah-rah or loud enough to be a head coach, but more of an X's and O's wizard who could help our D a lot.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Got a the score notification that if alfie doesn't resign with us he'll retire

I guess that would be beneficial, either way. He signs, we get a 50 point RW, he retires, it gives the Wings an oppurtunity to let Jurco up full-time or sign Iginla / Hemsky / whoever else.

King Pavel

Apr 27, 2014
Given that Chicago and Philly are already over the cap, who do you see getting moved? Most likely Hossa for Chicago seeing how Patrick Sharp's agent was reassured he wasn't being moved. But provided Lecavalier can't be moved due to his horrible contract, you'd think Simmonds is the one on the move?

Also, with Boston having just under $1.7mil to resign Krug, Caron, Bartkowski, Smith and Iginla, you'd have to assume Iginla's let go with at least one RFA.

I would love to see an offer sheet put in for Krug, it would be amazing to see him in a Red Wings jersey next season. Makes one of Smith, Ouellet, Backman expendable too in trade talks in terms of young, LH defensive prospects.

Edit: I see that putting Savard on LTIR gives them $5,697,500 to work with. I still find it rough considering they currently have no RW signed and six NHL-caliber defensemen signed to decent contracts as it is.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No one with money or options wants to work with Babcock.

Cheli was basically an assistant with GR last season. Now he has a flex schedule which he cannot get at the NHL level. But I saw him on the road with the team in Milwaukee for instance. So he had a bigger role with that team than many thought though he obviously wasn't on the bench. Seems a couple seasons ago he said he was leaning towards coaching wonder what changed his mind as that seems to be a big opportunity and he works well with the heir apparent in Blashill.

Be interesting if Babcock takes off and he accepts the job the next year. Found it pretty startling when he thanked virtually everyone in the world but I don't remember Babcock getting a shout out from either Shanahan or Chelios. Cheli might have, Shanahan wasn't surprising given their feud towards the end, but it is interesting he is happy to spend a lot of time in GR and ran away from this in a hurry.

That last part is worth noting to the Babcock in Toronto pipe-dreaming Leafs fans. Could never see Shanny hiring him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm well aware of that. Do you disagree that Lids would be a good coach?

Honestly I think he is a better front office guy. His quiet thoughtfulness actually might not benefit people as much as we think. Not that Lidstrom didn't help people but his calling card was watch how I prepare and he sees the game at such an elite level. His personality just lends itself more to front office gig in my opinion. I don't think he would be bad, but just how assertive do you see St. Nick being? Patience is a big asset in a front office as is the cerebral way he sees the game. He was like a coach on ice and a steady force in the dressing room and maybe he would be like Big Bird who by the way just left the bench again by the way. It is just his assets seem more upper level management if he wanted to come back over which I don't really see either by the way.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
I'm well aware of that. Do you disagree that Lids would be a good coach?

I think he'd be a terrible coach just like Gretzky.

Nick is a leader but he's a quiet leader by example; there's no way to play that role as a coach or GM. Those positions require a certain amount of bluster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino