Plans, Trades, and Automobiles: Fixing the Winged Wheel II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
He trades draft picks, and that's about it. Only twice has he traded a player at the draft (in 2000 and 2001); one was for a draft pick, and the other for future considerations.

And that's all in his 17 drafts. My guess is that you misunderstood something he said, because it's very clearly not his style to make draft-day trades.

no, i am simply stating what he said, that the draft wknd is the best time to make moves/trades as everyone is in the same room, teams have cap space, teams are looking to move on from certain players, teams are looking to add, et al.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I can never read the Freep on my phone. How don't they have that fixed in this day and age?!

doesn't say too much.

HSJ says that top two targets that fit red wings needs are niskanen and boyle. thinks boyle is more likely option, niskanen gets too much. thinks red wings would love to add boyle on 2 yr 5-5.5 mil deal.

says kenny has talked to lot of UFA players camps.

mentions yandle but the price is high.

points out how they want to add RH D. kenny quote saying that there is no #1 C or D in UFA, most players are support players.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Go for Stralman, give Smith a chance to show he's ready for the big time, promote a kid, and trust your forward group.

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Stralman
Ericsson-Marchenko

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
doesn't say too much.

HSJ says that top two targets that fit red wings needs are niskanen and boyle. thinks boyle is more likely option, niskanen gets too much. thinks red wings would love to add boyle on 2 yr 5-5.5 mil deal.

points out how they want to add RH D. kenny quote saying that there is no #1 C or D in UFA, most players are support players.

Thanks. Yeah I don't want Niskanen for the contract he's going to sign. Stralman is much better defensively and although not a classic puck mover, he's really good at moving the puck out of the defensive zone.

Boyle makes me nervous too, but if it's only a 2 yr deal it might be worth the chance.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
doesn't say too much.

If Ken Holland only offers Boyle 5-5.5 mil, Then Boyle will be playing elsewhere. There will be crazy teams out there offering him around 6-7.0 mil on a 2 year deal. Stralman possibly could be had for 4.5 mil over 4 or 5 years.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Boyle if you want to punch up the offense. Stralman if you want to shore up the defense.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Boyle if you want to punch up the offense. Stralman if you want to shore up the defense.

the past two years, rangers have scored more goals with strålman on the ice than sharks with boyle on the ice 5on5. despite sharks being the higher scoring team 5on5 during that period.

strålman doesn't put ton of points but he would definitely help a lot with offense.

that's not bc of his partner as it has been marc staal. actually every partner that he has played significant time with, has had bump in GF/20 stat category with him, compared to without him.

his team just spends a lot less time defending. as silky mentioned, he's very good at breaking out of the zone. he just seems to find a way to do it.

boyle would help more on the pp though. and he's off the books in two years if that's what one is worried about.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Statsny is definitely a number 1 center, Kenny.

Also, same story every year. Prices too high, both on trade and FA fronts.. I think Holland's content with letting the team build slowly through the final years of Datsyuk and Zetterberg's career. I'll say this, I'm a little worried with the team down the middle in the future, granted we just drafted 5 centers, but I'm not convinced any of them are better than 2nd line centers, which is a little bit concerning.(Not that there were better options available either. Larkin may have been the best center available, but it doesn't mean he'll be a first line center with us, is all I am saying)

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I know we've talked about this before, eventually swapping a prospect from a position of strength to an area of weakness, or packaging up prospect(s) + pick(s) + roster player(s) for an upgrade. I'm just curious when you guys think something like that might happen. Is this the type of move that could happen this summer? Or do you guys think Holland might wait a year or two, when our D are breaking into the NHL and our young forwards are established?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Take this with more salt than I am coating it with: There is a person on another forum claiming Detroit is trying to dump Pulkks due to lack of roster space for him. Says he has a source close to Holland. Anyone think there is any truth to this?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I know we've talked about this before, eventually swapping a prospect from a position of strength to an area of weakness, or packaging up prospect(s) + pick(s) + roster player(s) for an upgrade. I'm just curious when you guys think something like that might happen. Is this the type of move that could happen this summer? Or do you guys think Holland might wait a year or two, when our D are breaking into the NHL and our young forwards are established?

I dont think its a move we can expect holland to make anytime soon

the need has been their for a while now and while the assets may not have been there before, today we do have alot to offer and perhaps even the need to thin it out a bit(we wont see all these prospects one day in a winged wheel)

as much as I am very vocal about the need to make a trade to acquire what we need I dont see holland doing that anytime soon(a good trade not a legwand/quincey trade)

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Can't think of the reason why it should be especially Pulkk. Totally depends on the trade we're talking about. Could be everyone else (expect Mantha & Jurco).
Not to say how high the odds are that Holland's gonna make a "big" move this time. I don't think so.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Take this with more salt than I am coating it with: There is a person on another forum claiming Detroit is trying to dump Pulkks due to lack of roster space for him. Says he has a source close to Holland. Anyone think there is any truth to this?

i could see him being trade chip.

but i would be pissed if they 'dumped' him.

we are gonna have injuries anyway and if they just dump him, it means we have less depth on GR. which goes against everything they have spoken for the past decade.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

No.

Trade chip maybe. But why would they dump him if he's still able to go down without waivers?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I guess eventually Pulkkinen would go. Hard to see him being better than Mantha, Tatar, Nyquist, or Jurco for a top 6 W spot on the team. Plus the Wings will still have Franzen and Abby around, most likely. I think he fits a team need with him being a RH shooter, but I feel like his door is closing, especially since guys who are much more suited to play a depth role like Ferraro, Callahan, Athanasiou are all right there with him, too.

Ideally we get to wait and see how he develops for a while longer, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille