Plans, Trades, and Automobiles: Fixing the Winged Wheel II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
And Maltby was the biggest pest of his generation. That doesn't make him a generational talent. A generational talent is someone who does everything in the game at an elite level, and for a lot of years. Think 1000 points for a forward as the cut off for even being in the conversation (since the 80's anyway).

Wait a second... what have Zetterberg and Datsyuk not done at an elite level? Both are PPG or near PPG for most of the decade as well as being Selke or near-Selke level defensively.

The only thing that they haven't done at an elite level is play 100% of their games. If not for injuries, their pace puts them at 1000 points or more. When they've played, they've played at that talent level.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Datsyuk isn't even the best Russian of his generation. Ovechkin has more goals, and points in 150 less games. I would even say one could argue he's not even top 3 Russians on the Red Wings in their history.

Can somebody please post that gif of Ovechkin loafing around his own net and the other team scores? The one with the EA NHL marker over his head, which then disappears with a "controller not connected" message.

That's the difference between Ovechkin and Datsyuk. Ovechkin may have more points, but Datsyuk has prevented a hell of a lot more goals against.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You don't consider Crosby a generational talent? Lindros? LaFleur? Richard? Roy? Brodeur? I could go on.

You're being way too stingy with the generational talent label. D and Z are definitely generational talents. Especially Datsyuk. Not often do you see a player who can master both ends of the ice like he has.

My list wasn't exhaustive, Ovie and Crosby would be generational talents. Lemieux, Roy, Brodeur, LaFleur, Richard, etc. But still these guys were at another level compared to Z and D.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Wait a second... what have Zetterberg and Datsyuk not done at an elite level? Both are PPG or near PPG for most of the decade as well as being Selke or near-Selke level defensively.

The only thing that they haven't done at an elite level is play 100% of their games. If not for injuries, their pace puts them at 1000 points or more. When they've played, they've played at that talent level.

They aren't elite scores. They are good, even great some seasons, but, remember they are being out paced by kids like Stamkos, Ovie, Crosby in PPG and in some cases totals. They are GREAT players, but they are not GENERATIONAL talents.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Can somebody please post that gif of Ovechkin loafing around his own net and the other team scores? The one with the EA NHL marker over his head, which then disappears with a "controller not connected" message.

That's the difference between Ovechkin and Datsyuk. Ovechkin may have more points, but Datsyuk has prevented a hell of a lot more goals against.

There are 3 or 4 similar highlight clips of Ovechkin just mailing it in. His approach to the game at a profesional level really is laughable

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

fc8f6fcb523463de5b60ad3e618a8212.gif

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
My list wasn't exhaustive, Ovie and Crosby would be generational talents. Lemieux, Roy, Brodeur, LaFleur, Richard, etc. But still these guys were at another level compared to Z and D.

They absolutely weren't at another level. The only way I can imagine you think that is if you're not taking defense into account. Most of those other guys mentioned did not particularly distinguish themselves defensively (that's too generous for some of them, i.e. Ovie), while Datsyuk and Zetterberg are elite defensively. Defense is just as important as offense.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
There are 3 or 4 similar highlight clips of Ovechkin just mailing it in. His approach to the game at a profesional level really is laughable

There once was a player who scored 65 goals and 155 points in a season that was considered a defensive floater by one of the greatest coaches in professional sports history. He even got threatened with being traded over it. That guy under the right system turned into the gold standard for two-way players.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Not sure if sarcasm.

I doubt the Wings had even the slightest interest in Garrison. We've got enough left side defenceman.
:facepalm:

When you're rolling Lashoff and Kindl on a nightly basis, you don't have enough defensemen.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Datsyuk isn't even the best Russian of his generation. Ovechkin has more goals, and points in 150 less games. I would even say one could argue he's not even top 3 Russians on the Red Wings in their history.

I know plus/minus isn't a stat that usually carries a ton of weight, but Ovy is at 45 for his career and Pavel Datsyuk is at 230. Points are only one way to contribute.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
There once was a player who scored 65 goals and 155 points in a season that was considered a defensive floater by one of the greatest coaches in professional sports history. He even got threatened with being traded over it. That guy under the right system turned into the gold standard for two-way players.

When Ovechkin becomes the next Yzerman, I'll reconsider.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

When you're rolling Lashoff and Kindl on a nightly basis, you don't have enough defensemen.

So you want to pay a guy 4.6 million of your cap to play on the 3rd pairing?

We need defenceman, but we need Right handed guys who play the other side.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Also, PPG is elite. PPG while playing the level of defense they do is generationally elite.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

They're not going to trade for a defenseman who makes nearly 5 million a season for the next four years to play bottom pairing minutes.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
When Ovechkin becomes the next Yzerman, I'll reconsider.

If Holland ever grow a pair of balls made of steel and he was under Babcock and Datsyuk for a couple seasons I would bet that he would become one of the better 2 way players in the league. The whole Washington system for a lot of years was '5 forwards, lets out score them, **** our goalie'.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
So you want to pay a guy 4.6 million of your cap to play on the 3rd pairing?

We need defenceman, but we need Right handed guys who play the other side.
I don't care what pairing he plays on. He'll bump someone that sucks out of the lineup.

Kronwall-Ericsson
Garrison-DeKeyser
Smith-Lashoff

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
If Holland ever grow a pair of balls made of steel and he was under Babcock and Datsyuk for a couple seasons I would bet that he would become one of the better 2 way players in the league. The whole Washington system for a lot of years was '5 forwards, lets out score them, **** our goalie'.

Oh so now it's Hollands fault ovechkin is poor defensively :laugh::facepalm:

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
They're not going to trade for a defenseman who makes nearly 5 million a season for the next four years to play bottom pairing minutes.
Why would he have to play on the bottom pairing? He could bump Smith down and Kindl out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad