Rumor: Planning Ahead: 2019 Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
The Athletic article "What causes good players to have bad seasons" has a lot of Jim Fox. He talks more in generalities to answer the subject, than addressing the Kings specifically.

According to Fox, two years ago, when Kopitar slumped from 74 to 52 points, a hand injury suffered in a game against the Ottawa Senators was a factor in his production decline.
“We all saw it happen, but he kept playing and for the remainder of the season, he definitely was not the same,” Fox said. “I know trainers will tell you that a hand injury, depending on its severity, you can still play with it, but to get back to 100 percent, it’s not happening until the beginning of the following season. It cannot recover while you’re still playing every day. It just can’t.”

I don't remember if it was ever confirmed he was injured that year, or us just speculating, but there you have it. (Nothing in there about this year, though.)

Sometimes, too, it’s how a team’s collective season unfolds. You’ll often see, when things start to go south, players start trying to do too much. The Kings’ Drew Doughty, a Norris Trophy finalist a year ago, looks as if he’s spent most of the year trying too hard, trying to do someone else’s job and pressing the play instead of letting it unfold naturally.

Teams that are in sync succeed mostly because everyone’s doing their own job – no more and no less.

“I say this quite a bit – that when you have a great year, the next year, teams don’t necessarily want more from you, they just want more of the same,” Fox said.

“But in your own mind, you don’t think like that. You think: ‘I need to give more, I need to do more’ – and you can try too hard, you really can. You can try too hard and then you’re not yourself anymore. You’re trying to be something that you’re not – and I think that happens regardless of age, experience, salary. That’s just human nature and it’s a trait that I don’t know if you could ever take out of an athlete.”

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
On 3/19/18, the Kings were 11th overall. Just about the same record as Vegas has this year. 41 more goals for, and 44 fewer goals against. An 85 goal swing. A 28 point swing in the standings. 27 regulation losses to 39.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
So it sounds like the the Oilers are dangling Puljujarvi if a team takes on the Lucic contract. That just seems like it's too much fat to have to eat for a guy who has done nothing of note since being taken 4th overall. That's almost comical because Lucic has one of the worst contracts in the league.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
So it sounds like the the Oilers are dangling Puljujarvi if a team takes on the Lucic contract. That just seems like it's too much fat to have to eat for a guy who has done nothing of note since being taken 4th overall. That's almost comical because Lucic has one of the worst contracts in the league.

Lucic would also have to be protected in the Seattle expansion draft. It's really a horrid contract.

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Lucic would also have to be protected in the Seattle expansion draft. It's really a horrid contract.
this is the biggest issue with his deal for me.

If LA could fit him in and he came with alot of assets and allowed LA to unload Dion I wold consider it. But the above makes it a no go zone

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Not sure where to put this but guess I can write it on this thread since we are talking about next year. I say to all me fellow Kings fans keep your heads up we all know this year has been brutal and in some regards one of the most disappointing seasons in awhile. However, I'm telling you folks next year is going to be our year. No doubt in my mind we will win it all. We may not win it this year but I have a great feeling about this next season......YES I SAID IT WE WILL GET LAFRANIER!!! You thought we were bad this year wait till next season. LOTTERY champs baby!!!

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Seeing Forbort and Carter still on the roster is hilarious.

What would be the realistic alternative? Nothing like just send them home, or put them in Ontario, etc. Real world alternatives to them being on the roster.

"Several other bits from Willie Desjardins. He said that with the team eliminated from playoff contention, he’ll be looking at playing more younger players in different situations and would be open to resting some of the veterans over the remaining 10 games."

NHLPA poll; Doughty on chirping, his defensive game; top young players; more - LA Kings Insider

I'll believe it when I see it.

Typical coach. And I would think, if the Kings have a chance to win any given game the rest of the way, the vets will get the crunch time minutes in those games too.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
"Several other bits from Willie Desjardins. He said that with the team eliminated from playoff contention, he’ll be looking at playing more younger players in different situations and would be open to resting some of the veterans over the remaining 10 games."

NHLPA poll; Doughty on chirping, his defensive game; top young players; more - LA Kings Insider

I'll believe it when I see it.

What a steaming pile of Crap. A-hole with an infection. Seriously dislike WD, he has zero place behind a bench unless it's in Venice Beach

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is maybe a random aside, but if the strength & conditioning coach isn't fired after this season, they may as well elect him emperor for life.

With the departure of the previous dude to Calgary, it's been evident season after season, and mostly this season, that guys just aren't up to par. It's probably also partially age AND stupid minutes for at least Kopitar and Doughty, but guys shouldn't be sucking wind late in every game for 3-4 years.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
What would be the realistic alternative? Nothing like just send them home, or put them in Ontario, etc. Real world alternatives to them being on the roster.

Typical coach. And I would think, if the Kings have a chance to win any given game the rest of the way, the vets will get the crunch time minutes in those games too.
I know there's nothing that can be done now. Forbort has always been a mess that they should have delt with a long time ago and they should have traded Carter last summer, there were signs that he was breaking down.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I know there's nothing that can be done now. Forbort has always been a mess that they should have delt with a long time ago and they should have traded Carter last summer, there were signs that he was breaking down.

Sorry but Carter was injured most of last year. Was very consistant before his injury and came back and immediately produced. What signs were there that he should be dealt. Most people on here were pointing to him as a reason LA's offense would be more productive.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Not surprised to hear that a bug is making its way through the locker room. Probably infloserenza.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad