Rumor: Planning Ahead: 2019 Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Rebuilding should be a deliberate decision. I understand not many GMs in the NHL are that pro-active, but if an organization is going to spend the maximum number of years on the upswing or contending, it is necessary to recognize when a good run is over and start the rebuilding process. Other GMs not doing it is no excuse.

The Kings have squandered multiple opportunities to improve their roster going forward because they failed to recognize the run was over, and didn't trade some of the vets when they still had value.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigKing

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Good article from Dennis Bernstein, about off season and looking to the future. Mentions they are possibly looking to go buyout route with a veteran. From his analysis, Phaneuf makes more sense over Carter, in terms of the numbers. If the Kings REALLY want to get down to the 24-25 age range, it would seem that Phaneuf, Carter, Quick, Martinez, Lewis and Kovalchuk could all be gone this Summer. Honestly, I am liking many of the younger players and pretty impressed with Roy and Walker. Roy is good defensively and think he will only get better from here. 0 in +/- in 16 games is amazing, during a time in which Kings have 2 wins and horrible negative goal differential.

Grundstrom looking good...wish they would scratch Toffoli, as he's not doing anything for that line. Bring back Luff and let him play with Kempe and Grundstrom. Think Luff would add a great dynamic with them. Scratch Carter and bring back Amadio as well.

As stated by DoktorJeep (thanks for the recap on the meeting!) Bernstein also mentions they really want Hughes.

72 and Cloudy in Los Angeles — The Fourth Period
That article is probably a must read for all Kings fans. Bernstein isn’t always my favorite but that seems spot on.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
They will be lucky to get pennies on the dollar for Toffoli if they trade him this Summer. I don't even think that they can get a 2nd rounder with the way his production has fallen off a cliff the last several weeks. Kovalchuk and Carter won't get much of anything in return either due to the contracts. Looks like the goal will be to move money rather than get anything in return that will help the team in terms of players or high picks.

I know its much easier said than done when it comes to trades, but when you have that much youth looking to crack the roster, you'll make room. Obviously no team is going to do the Kings any favors. You could retain salary for any Kovalchuk deal. I don't think Toffoli will get traded in the offseason because they're probably hoping that in a contract year he'll do better and raise his value by the trade deadline, but he could be just as horrible next season as he was this season. I think there could suitors for Quick, but some teams may be skeptical of the term, but I think a deal could be made. Carter/Phaneuf I have no hope for, one of them will be bought out and it'll likely be Phaneuf. But Carter needs a stern talking to at the end of this season. I don't care if his injury was last season was still lingering, his effort this year was putrid at best. So if Carter is going to stick around because no one will touch him then he needs to set an example for the young guys.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
What we are seeing with Carter right now is the same lazy, disinterested player that we acquired. What he needed was something to play for and when he got that upon arrival, he became engaged. The only way Carter becomes anything significant again is with a trade to a contender. That’s it. He isn’t a guy who trains like a madman in the offseason and he has never been what anyone would call a guy that sets examples.

What he has always been is a scorer and a heady player who can deliver when motivated and right now he isn’t motivated. That won’t change here because this team is going nowhere for awhile. The other problem is that he is going to get paid and live on the beach no matter what he does so unless he buys into a trade, we are stuck with him.

Reactions: RocketKing

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I know its much easier said than done when it comes to trades, but when you have that much youth looking to crack the roster, you'll make room. Obviously no team is going to do the Kings any favors. You could retain salary for any Kovalchuk deal. I don't think Toffoli will get traded in the offseason because they're probably hoping that in a contract year he'll do better and raise his value by the trade deadline, but he could be just as horrible next season as he was this season. I think there could suitors for Quick, but some teams may be skeptical of the term, but I think a deal could be made. Carter/Phaneuf I have no hope for, one of them will be bought out and it'll likely be Phaneuf. But Carter needs a stern talking to at the end of this season. I don't care if his injury was last season was still lingering, his effort this year was putrid at best. So if Carter is going to stick around because no one will touch him then he needs to set an example for the young guys.
My big issue with Carter is the spot he takes up. IF he and Toffoli find their games they could be valuable to LA. This past season seems like the litmus test tho. I just want to move on from both players as a fan. Close that book. Get what you can and run. Toffoli should have been moved this year for chump change imho. I hope Carts, Toffoli, and Phanuef are gone come October. Bury Carts in the AHL. That should motivate him. If not, out of site/out of mind.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Carter was actually talked about in LA as a role model for is off-season workouts etc.

Anyways, what they are saying confirms my hunch about the plan after the whole season ticket price freeze for two years. No way these guys offer that up in advance unless they figure they are going to be bad again next season for sure, leading to making it difficult for 2021 renewals.

I'm back to where I was prior to the 2018 season: I don't expect winning but can we at least be more exciting to watch?

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
That article is probably a must read for all Kings fans. Bernstein isn’t always my favorite but that seems spot on.

I prefer Bernstein over the Mayor...partly, because Bernstein does not give us 'reading assignments to read up on his in depth review of ____ between periods'
I do appreciate that the Mayor does get to talk with Yanneti, Futa, etc and gets good info though. The Bernstein article is good...and it's cool that he states
he does have 2 season seats. The Bernstein article is very good.

Reactions: LAKings88

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Mike Richards fell apart before our eyes. Granted, dude was dealing with some mental health issues when he was playing here at the end. But I think that probably went hand in hand with natural, physical decline.

Carter is 34 and close to 1000 games. Age and injury are the most obvious explanation for his performance this year and why the future looks dim. He’ll end up with 30 pts this year, while playing around 75 games and averaging 18 minutes of ice time. So he can at least show he’s able to play an nhl season still, which does have some value.

I think what’s most likely and reasonable is him to be put in the best position to rebound. That starts with reduced even strength minutes and a move off of center and back to wing. If he were to get sheltered even strength minutes around 8 a game, I think he’ll have more energy when out there.

His best skill has always been his wrist shot. Before he came to LA and became the 2c on the best defensive team in the league, Carter was a 40 goal sniper with a rifle for a shot.

I hope that in the summer he gets some help and rediscover his shot. If he does that and gets sheltered minutes at left wing and PP2, I’m optimistic about his chances to find a way back to 18-20 goals.

I know fans here are saying JC is has an attitude problem and it’s easy to criticize a guy who has a great life off the ice. But I don’t think this season is because of laziness or some BS about compete level. I think he’s old and understandably slow to recover. And somewhat of a victim of a bunch of bad expectations, which he personally had nothing to do with.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I know fans here are saying JC is has an attitude problem and it’s easy to criticize a guy who has a great life off the ice. But I don’t think this season is because of laziness or some BS about compete level. I think he’s old and understandably slow to recover. And somewhat of a victim of a bunch of bad expectations, which he personally had nothing to do with.

Agree with the entire post, but wanted to point out the bolded, the bolded is why I take exception to the whole "beach volleyball" insult that some posters like to throw around, it's completely baseless, idiotic, and demeaning to what these players, young and old, and retired, the absolute work they put in to get where they are. It would absolutely BLOW your mind to realize how many people actually have the TALENT to play in the league....but could never make it....

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
I prefer Bernstein over the Mayor...partly, because Bernstein does not give us 'reading assignments to read up on his in depth review of ____ between periods'
I do appreciate that the Mayor does get to talk with Yanneti, Futa, etc and gets good info though. The Bernstein article is good...and it's cool that he states

Regarding Bernstein's article: I may be wrong, but I believe 25% of the cap hit on a Phaneuf buyout is born by Ottawa. CBA experts, feel free to confirm or tear me to shreds.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I've never liked Bernstein's personality, and always thought of him as condescending, full of it, and rude.

The Mayor is self aggrandizing, and he's missed his mark, but I just find him more believable.

But I get it. The Mayor definitely rubs some people the wrong way and he likes to generate hits on his page. I just find him more genuinely informative and interesting though.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Agree with the entire post, but wanted to point out the bolded, the bolded is why I take exception to the whole "beach volleyball" insult that some posters like to throw around, it's completely baseless, idiotic, and demeaning to what these players, young and old, and retired, the absolute work they put in to get where they are. It would absolutely BLOW your mind to realize how many people actually have the TALENT to play in the league....but could never make it....

So, I use the beach volleyball insult all day, every day for Blake, Murray, and Johnson. These players cashed fat checks for decades here and fans never saw a team go past the second round. Stupid Craig Johnson kneed Adam Deadmarsh in the head, ending his career, literally his single biggest accomplishment as a King. Glenn Murray was the king of Redondo Beach bars nabbing trim. What the eff qualifications do these clowns have for a job in the franchise Lombardi built?

The rot starts at the top. Blake’s handling of Carter and all the vets is symptomatic of poor judgement.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Oh, on Bernstein. I have information from someone who worked with him in his profession outside hockey. Dude is a legit nhl hockey fan and from LA. Social media skews everything, so I don’t take issue with his critics. But the guy is around the game and puts himself out there. In this market, that’s what we get with a niche sport.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
This team will change but not a lot. They will move a couple of veterans and definitely buy one out if they can't move him (Phanuef). But you'll still see the same as the old crew.

Iafallo--Kopitar--Brown
Grundstrom--Kempe--Toffoli
XXX--Carter--XXX
Clifford--XXX--Luff

XXX--Doughty
XXX--Walker
Forbort--Roy

Campbell
Petersen

Quick, Martinez, Lewis, Kovy will be traded.
Phanuef will be bought out.

You'll then have RFAs and youth coming in to fill spots...

On the fence: Leipsic, Brodzinski, LaDue, MacDermid, Amadio

Young guns: Kupari, JAD, Clague

Guys that should push for a spot (but wont make it): Brickley, Vilardi, Rempal, Thomas

Surprise options not in LA system: Prokhorkin, 1st round pick, Players for trades

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Who gets bought out first, Phaneuf or Gaborik? I’d bet Gabby scores another goal before Dion does.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Rob Blake has a lot to do this offseason.

- Wtf are we going to do with Dion (Bury him in the AHL maybe?)
- Find a coach
- Draft well
- Find a way to move out Carter and Quick
- Potentially find a veteran top 6 D (Doughty, Martinez, Forbort is what we're working with. Maybe a Stralman/Bouwmeester?)

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Rob Blake has a lot to do this offseason.

- Wtf are we going to do with Dion (Bury him in the AHL maybe?)
- Find a coach
- Draft well
- Find a way to move out Carter and Quick
- Potentially find a veteran top 6 D (Doughty, Martinez, Forbort is what we're working with. Maybe a Stralman/Bouwmeester?)
Can't bury Phaneuf in the AHL without his approval (NMC) buy out is the most likely option

I would only find a vet D if you can sign him for less than Martinez and then trade Martinez, the kids have to learn to play some time.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wow, the Dillman Athletic article about Kovy was absolutely damning for WD. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Bernstein said the same, but Dillman has all the credibility. These guys are likely just mailing it in at this point due to WD being a total f***ing schmuck.

from the article:

“It’s horrible,” said Kovalchuk. “That’s the worst. But he (Desjardins) didn’t play young guys. He plays 7 D. That’s his new strategy.
“What you can do? That’s his decision and he’s the head coach – 10 more games. What else we can do. Just practice hard and show the young kids that that thing can happen to anybody. You just have to keep going.”"

Also muses aloud about Brodz working his ass off to get back only to get scratched continuously as well.

So on the bright side, it's not just us.

Haven't seen Helene rip the paint off lately either, maybe she got bored, or banned :laugh:

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Wow, the Dillman Athletic article about Kovy was absolutely damning for WD. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Bernstein said the same, but Dillman has all the credibility. These guys are likely just mailing it in at this point due to WD being a total ****ing schmuck.

from the article:

“It’s horrible,” said Kovalchuk. “That’s the worst. But he (Desjardins) didn’t play young guys. He plays 7 D. That’s his new strategy.
“What you can do? That’s his decision and he’s the head coach – 10 more games. What else we can do. Just practice hard and show the young kids that that thing can happen to anybody. You just have to keep going.”"

Also muses aloud about Brodz working his ass off to get back only to get scratched continuously as well.

Haven't seen Helene rip the paint off lately either, maybe she got bored, or banned :laugh:

Tank commander is on the loose :scared:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Wow, the Dillman Athletic article about Kovy was absolutely damning for WD. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Bernstein said the same, but Dillman has all the credibility. These guys are likely just mailing it in at this point due to WD being a total ****ing schmuck.

from the article:

Pretty much confirms the belief that WD is just operating on a different wavelength from everyone else

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015

from the article:

Sounds like this is going to blow up. WD soon to be gone and wonder if Kovalchuk will be moved. Such a shame. Kovalchuk wins Olympic Gold, then leads the KHL in
scoring...signs with LA...is arguably the best forward first 14 games, with 5 goals, 9 assists, 14 points. Not even playing with Kopitar. Then WD comes in and Kovy is
never the same and benched and put on line 3 or with Carter. Like less than 10 NHL players could succeed with that situation...Marner, Kucherov, Crosby....
If Kovalchuk signed with TBL, he would have 30 goals and 60 pts now and excelling. Scores goals on the shootout like it's childs play. Feel bad for him.
I think if he stays, he will be good with a new coach and REAL NHL linemates. If he goes, he deserves a better situation and fine with that.

Seems like this article will get out and beyond the Athletic membership. Would love to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad