Rumor: Planning Ahead: 2019 Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The NHL is becoming a league of danglers, hot dogs and puck hogs. It’s the hockey version of and 1, which the league is slowly but surely embracing. I’m not personally a fan of individual players, I prefer to watch well constructed teams. But I understand the revenue at stake and don’t know of any other way to “grow the game”, which is a necessary evil.

One benefit I see from the new style of “selfish” player, possibly like Kupari, is now teams are incentivized to mold those players into NHL pros and they have to adapt to do it. I’m hoping that results in some of the regressive approaches to player skill development getting put on the back burner. And more progressive skill building programs get put in action, while keeping the parts that teach kids how to be good pro teammates.

Where are you getting the bolded from?

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Where are you getting the bolded from?

I think it started with the elites like Datsuyk and people look at elites like Pat Kane and hope all become what Marner is starting to show. None of those guys are showboating out there but, I think the intense focus on individual skills starts off there and ends up, eventually in all types of one upsmanship.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think it started with the elites like Datsuyk and people look at elites like Pat Kane and hope all become what Marner is starting to show. None of those guys are showboating out there but, I think the intense focus on individual skills starts off there and ends up, eventually in all types of one upsmanship.

Not sure what you are trying to insinuate, individual skills has ALWAYS been stressed, ALWAYS been there.

If you are saying the elite players show more of it, to me that's redundant, that's exactly why they are elite etc.

Reactions: lumbergh

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Taking a step back, most of these NCAA guys are going to be looking at team depth charts to see what the probability that they'd be in the NHL sooner rather than later. I think we could understand the allure of making 925K in the NHL versus 70K in the minors.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Taking a step back, most of these NCAA guys are going to be looking at team depth charts to see what the probability that they'd be in the NHL sooner rather than later. I think we could understand the allure of making 925K in the NHL versus 70K in the minors.
Most definitely, and I would expect any 21-23 year old to do what you are suggesting in your post. These kids have a limited window to make as much as they can, and they don't want to waste any of it in the AHL.

It can hurt a player's development though, as I think a guy like Jack Johnson would have benefited quite a bit by spending at least a few months in the AHL. At a minimum I think he should have played for the Monarchs in the playoffs, but he didn't. I think the Monarchs went all the way to the conference finals in Johnson's first pro season.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Random anecdote, years ago I got a random call from a friend who doesn't watch hockey. She said her friend went on a blind date with a guy (Alex Kim) who said he had just signed a multimillion dollar deal with the Kings. They wanted to check if his story was true or not. I ended up being the buzzkill as I got to explain what a two way contract was. "Technically he's not lying, but........."

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Multimillion dollar contract? Haha, Alex Kim appeared in three AHL games and was an ECHL lifer. Funny how he tried to pass that off as being a major league pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Random anecdote, years ago I got a random call from a friend who doesn't watch hockey. She said her friend went on a blind date with a guy (Alex Kim) who said he had just signed a multimillion dollar deal with the Kings. They wanted to check if his story was true or not. I ended up being the buzzkill as I got to explain what a two way contract was. "Technically he's not lying, but........."

Remember playing against that guy a bit as a teen. Was one of the first real wave of california kids, like Gauthier and Clarke, to really push pro level (other than the sporadic examples). Quite a few of those guys were always right on the cusp, bummer none of them truly broke through to stick, as it makes for a better story than a bunch of AHL/Euro Leaguers kicking my ass on a weekly basis :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Multimillion dollar contract? Haha, Alex Kim appeared in three ECHL games and was an ECHL lifer. Funny how he tried to pass that off as being a major league pro.

This was probably summer 2002 as I think my friend and I were both just graduating college. Kim had just signed as well, so he probably had some loftier expectations. And if I'm being honest, I likely would have done the same spiel in his shoes too. Probably no worse than being in Vegas with my buddies for a beer league tournament and seeing a few of them tell some drunk girls in a club that they're hockey players.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

LOL how long ago was that, Alex Kim was in that age group about 4-5-6 years younger than me...quite a few went to play Junior A etc,

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I think the Kings are trying their hardest to push away fans out of sheer embarrassment with their antics both on and off the ice.

I saw this Carter atrocity last Friday but don't know how to embed tweets. I started down the road to figuring it out but decided that we have all seen enough horrible things from Carter this season so I scrapped it.

Mother of God, man: Mother. Of. God.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No on taro, too.

Holding out hope for Nico Sturm but I'd have to consider it a small failure if he can't land a college UFA this year. Not because they pan out every time (or even very often imo) but because jesus christ how much opportunity do we have for them vs. development team vs. other factors that friggin Ottawa and Detroit are cleaning up but we cant

Reactions: BigKing

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
No on taro, too.

Holding out hope for Nico Sturm but I'd have to consider it a small failure if he can't land a college UFA this year. Not because they pan out every time (or even very often imo) but because jesus christ how much opportunity do we have for them vs. development team vs. other factors that friggin Ottawa and Detroit are cleaning up but we cant
I get that once in a while you get an Iaffalo or Walker. I just can’t get all that excited about college free agents. Seems like in every case there was a reason they weren’t drafted. Who has been the best of these guys recently? Schultz? Vesey? Iaffalo?

I still think they will get the dman out of Bowling Green.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
I think the Kings are trying their hardest to push away fans out of sheer embarrassment with their antics both on and off the ice.

Somewhere this is happening right now....

overly-attached-girlfriend-0c9d.jpg

Reactions: BigKing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad