Rumor: Planning Ahead: 2019 Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The Kings better deal some more older players.

The only players that have played worth a damn besides Kyle Cliffford, Alex Iaffalo and Adrian Kempe are Luff, Wagner, and Grunstrom. What do those players have in common? They are the only young players.

Reactions: Schmooley

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The Kings better deal some more older players.

The only players that have played worth a damn besides Kyle Cliffford, Alex Iaffalo and Adrian Kempe are Luff, Wagner, and Grunstrom. What do those players have in common? They are the only young players.

What else do they have in common - The coach doesn't give them enough ice time. At least that is the case with Luff and Wagner. We will see about Grunstrom.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

The haul they got from the Mathieu Schneider trade is pretty similar to the return for Muzzin, though I suspect Grundstrom would be a far better player than Sean Avery. Kuznetsov was a stiff, and the Kings blew that first round pick on Jeff Tambellini.

As of today, the Leafs' first is tentatively 25th overall. That can change depending on how early they are eliminated from the playoffs.

I wonder which forward will get the Smolinski type of return this off-season. Guessing Toffoli since a team may take a gamble with him on a contract year. Carter probably has negative value thanks to his horrendous performance.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
soon after that deal LA played here in Calgary. Alot of the team was at Cowboys and so was I. For some dumb reason I spent a lot of money, as a college kid who did not have much, on buying the kings drinks. Avery was a blast and I became a fan of his that night.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
To think Smolinski had a role in the Kings cup run.

Traded for Gleason.

Gleason was traded with Belanger for Jack Johnson.

Etc.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
To think Smolinski had a role in the Kings cup run.

Traded for Gleason.

Gleason was traded with Belanger for Jack Johnson.

Etc.
See had the Kings traded Carter a couple of years ago, they would only be around 10 years away. ;) :)

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Kings tidbit:

Max Veronneau, RW, Princeton-ECAC
Dec. 12, 1995 | six-foot | 181 pounds

Veronneau opened eyes last season with his play in the ECAC. This season wasn’t as productive, but NHL teams are still very interested. What stands out about Veronneau is his skating; he can lead a rush at the NHL level with his speed. My concern is, outside his speed, there isn’t much that screams NHL caliber. He can kill penalties, but he’s slight and not physical. His skill is average, but he does see the ice well. The Kings are believed to be the favorite to sign Veronneau.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Kings tidbit:

Max Veronneau, RW, Princeton-ECAC
Dec. 12, 1995 | six-foot | 181 pounds

Veronneau opened eyes last season with his play in the ECAC. This season wasn’t as productive, but NHL teams are still very interested. What stands out about Veronneau is his skating; he can lead a rush at the NHL level with his speed. My concern is, outside his speed, there isn’t much that screams NHL caliber. He can kill penalties, but he’s slight and not physical. His skill is average, but he does see the ice well. The Kings are believed to be the favorite to sign Veronneau.

more lotto tickets the better

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
Hi, fellow Kings fan here from Finland. Kupari plays for my hometown team so maybe you guys would like a small scouting report. He definetly has tools to be an effective top6 producer. Good size, really good hands and great skater. On the negative side, he is still pretty immature taking stupid penalties (idiotic major and a misconduct penalty in b2b games) and from time to time looks like a kid who doesn't like passing. His stats are also pumped up quite a bit as he plays for one of the best ever squads in Finnish league. He gets around 14mins/game and 2nd unit PP time. I'd say he needs at least a year maturing mentally before he is ready for NHL.

Sidenote on Oliwer Kaski, undrafted dman from Finland. He is having a bomb of a year, clearly the best offensive defencemen in Finnish league this year. He sits 6th overall in scoring. Great skater and a great shot as well. I see him as a boom bust type player and imo would be worth taking a shot at him.

And f*** this year, I have watched 55+ games and Kings home games start 5:30 am here. Brutal.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Hi, fellow Kings fan here from Finland. Kupari plays for my hometown team so maybe you guys would like a small scouting report. He definetly has tools to be an effective top6 producer. Good size, really good hands and great skater. On the negative side, he is still pretty immature taking stupid penalties (idiotic major and a misconduct penalty in b2b games) and from time to time looks like a kid who doesn't like passing. His stats are also pumped up quite a bit as he plays for one of the best ever squads in Finnish league. He gets around 14mins/game and 2nd unit PP time. I'd say he needs at least a year maturing mentally before he is ready for NHL.

Sidenote on Oliwer Kaski, undrafted dman from Finland. He is having a bomb of a year, clearly the best offensive defencemen in Finnish league this year. He sits 6th overall in scoring. Great skater and a great shot as well. I see him as a boom bust type player and imo would be worth taking a shot at him.

And **** this year, I have watched 55+ games and Kings home games start 5:30 am here. Brutal.

Bolded the part that we need absolutely MORE of. We absolutely need players with a shot mentality.

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
Bolded the part that we need absolutely MORE of. We absolutely need players with a shot mentality.
Agree, but didn't mean it in a good way. He tries to deke himself way too much like a 12yo junior instead of shooting or passing. But like I said, tools are there and Im quite confident he is going to be 50+ points guy in the future.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Agree, but didn't mean it in a good way. He tries to deke himself way too much like a 12yo junior instead of shooting or passing. But like I said, tools are there and Im quite confident he is going to be 50+ points guy in the future.

We appreciate the feedback.

It sounds like one of those things where he just needs to gain some more maturity and experience. Would you say that's fair? Or do you think he will always have a tendency to overhandle the puck and get himself in trouble?

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
We appreciate the feedback.

It sounds like one of those things where he just needs to gain some more maturity and experience. Would you say that's fair? Or do you think he will always have a tendency to overhandle the puck and get himself in trouble?
Definetly maturity issue. Kid has got a good hockey sense and is actually pretty smart player when he is on his game. He just needs some time to grow mentally and get more consistent. His season with Kärpät will most likely end after Reign's this year as Kärpät are big favourites for the championship so not very likely to see him in NA until camps.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

And **** this year, I have watched 55+ games and Kings home games start 5:30 am here. Brutal.
Man I'm still waiting for Tuukka Mantyla to come over!

Reactions: Fat Elvis

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The NHL is becoming a league of danglers, hot dogs and puck hogs. It’s the hockey version of and 1, which the league is slowly but surely embracing. I’m not personally a fan of individual players, I prefer to watch well constructed teams. But I understand the revenue at stake and don’t know of any other way to “grow the game”, which is a necessary evil.

One benefit I see from the new style of “selfish” player, possibly like Kupari, is now teams are incentivized to mold those players into NHL pros and they have to adapt to do it. I’m hoping that results in some of the regressive approaches to player skill development getting put on the back burner. And more progressive skill building programs get put in action, while keeping the parts that teach kids how to be good pro teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad