GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 35

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The ball didn't go away. He moved it away from the defender to shoot and was grabbed more.
You've been pretty open at agreeing with the general narrative that Salah has been selling it all season. I don't know why this would be any different, whether this was a deserved call or not.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Well that's what your other post said, and he did embellish. And for the record I agree with you that on some places of the player doesn't the refs allow the foul to go unpunished.

The real question is why we're having this bizarre argument when you agree it was a penalty.

Reactions: Chimaera

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
There’s a big difference between diving and going down on a legit foul.
If you're referring to my post, my use of the word "dive" wasn't dive in the football sense. More that actual action, i.e., dive, fall, throw to the ground.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Huge win for Palace, and now Chelsea needs to take advantage of Arsenal and Manchester United both dropping points.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You've been pretty open at agreeing with the general narrative that Salah has been selling it all season. I don't know why this would be any different, whether this was a deserved call or not.

Because it obviously wasn't. After all the fouling prior to the player going down, the defender decides to move his left hand to Salah's shoulder and pushes him down with both arms.

We're not talking about him going down from a minimal kick like with some of the others. The defender is a fair bit bigger than him and pushes him down with both arms on one shoulder.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yes he embellished. He did it because the ref wasn't giving a penalty for a super obvious foul in the box and for some reason in England you have to go down to get a penalty.

I've been critical of him in the past for flopping, but in this case he basically had no choice. If he tries to muscle through it, it's never given.

Reactions: gary69

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Not sure seeing as how you agreed he embellished but then can't seem to commit to it. Anyway, deserved penalty, something I never argued, and deserved win.

I watched it a few more times to make sure I knew what I was talking about, that's all I can tell you.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I've been meaning to post this for at least an hour now, but t seems the it can't wait. The overreaction about United and Solskjaer is incredible. Not surprising considering this forum, but incredible all the same.
I’ll bite.

His honeymoon period was great. They played Spurs, some donkeys and PSG. Now they’re falling apart. The squad is mediocre, but the players look like they didn’t get off the bus today. We were told over and over by many that it was Jose and not the players.

Answer these questions, and I’ll stop. What in his past managerial record suggests he’s ready to helm that club? What was the rush to sign him to an extension? It’s clear he loves the place and would clean the stands after matches if SAF asked. Then just say, we will make a decision when the DoF is in place in summer. What in his history shows he has the ability to help reshape and overhaul that club if other managers with a much better track record couldn’t?

I will fully buy the he needs the summer to plan and preseason. But as is often the case with top level sides, he won’t have all summer with most of them. He also couldn’t do it at Cardiff. Why United?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The real question is why we're having this bizarre argument when you agree it was a penalty.
You're not wrong.
Because it obviously wasn't. After all the fouling prior to the player going down, the defender decides to move his left hand to Salah's shoulder and pushes him down with both arms.

We're not talking about him going down from a minimal kick like with some of the others. The defender is a fair bit bigger than him and pushes him down with both arms on one shoulder.
I don't agree...but I do agree in the grand scheme of things it's a waste of bandwidth.

But still though...

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I won't hold my breath on the Solskjaer commenatary being applied to Emery now, like that laughable nonsense about a method to Mourinho's madness but Solskjaer has just lost he plot.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Arsenal result, I don't even know what to say about that. Already said how I felt about Emery so everyone knows where I stand. He's an expert manager at getting disappointing results in the league. I have no idea why they hired him in the first place, it's likely his results keep them from having the money they need to spend.

This isn't the first time nor will it be the last. They have what should be an easy run-in, but they probably lose the next two games and that's it.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Is it correct that Utd covered 4k less than Everton in the first half?

If so no manager can get that team to win.

Might blame OGS for not motivating them of course, but that seems a bit far fetched.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I’ll bite.

His honeymoon period was great. They played Spurs, some donkeys and PSG. Now they’re falling apart. The squad is mediocre, but the players look like they didn’t get off the bus today. We were told over and over by many that it was Jose and not the players.

Answer these questions, and I’ll stop. What in his past managerial record suggests he’s ready to helm that club? What was the rush to sign him to an extension? It’s clear he loves the place and would clean the stands after matches if SAF asked. Then just say, we will make a decision when the DoF is in place in summer. What in his history shows he has the ability to help reshape and overhaul that club if other managers with a much better track record couldn’t?

I will fully buy the he needs the summer to plan and preseason. But as is often the case with top level sides, he won’t have all summer with most of them. He also couldn’t do it at Cardiff. Why United?

I'd have already taken care of your other post were I not on my mobile, but I'll reply later. I don't even have the information in front of me but it's easy to refute all this.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
A few weeks ago United was supposedly going to promote someone from within the club to be their DoF. I think OGS is a fine manager, but there's hardly any manager who can overcome the level of overall club failure that would lead someone to decide they need someone from within the club that has already signed those players to run the entire operation.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Might blame OGS for not motivating them of course, but that seems a bit far fetched.

Well what I might blame him for is the lack of rotation, but not sure the squad situation.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

It's not the manager's fault in that case. Matic might as well be in a wheelchair he's so far off the pace these days. Fred is absolute shit. There's your 4 km.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006

It is just Manchester United falling back to earth after the effect of having a new manager wore off. The truth is that they are not a great football club and have not been for a while. Too much money spent on flops and underperforming players.

Also no competitive team should be fielding the likes of Smalling and Jones as starting central defenders.

Reactions: Prntscrn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad